What do colleges make of a 3.0 and a 1500?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: What do colleges make of a 3.0 and a 1500?
By smart on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

say someone has a 3.0 gpa (i know, terrible, but uw), like 3.8 weighted.

but a 1500 sat. other stuff - ap scholar, varsity sports, clubs, etc. high sat2s (700+ average)

will colleges throw this resume away? is there ANY chance of ivy league admission? almost-ivy admission?

these are not my stats, but close. just wondering.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

You'd have your best chances at tier 2 and lower colleges, which might even give you merit $ because of your scores. There might be, though, some tier one schools that might consider you -- depending on what your sport is, etc.

The most elite colleges probably would view you as a smart, but lazy student, and would not accept you. The most elite colleges have their choice of students with high scores, grades, and excellent ECs.

I speak as a mom who had a son whose profile was similar to yours. He did get into 2 top 25 schools, but because he also had gotten national-level recogition in an EC.He was rejected by an Ivy.

By smart on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

up

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

A 3.0 GPA with 1500 SAT translates to: you are really smart but you are not motivated much.

By kakafool on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

way to go jason . . . such insightful words i have never before read. observation of the century.

By drebraty on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

yooka le tasdak gash veji peepi

By Frad on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

My brother got into Columbia as an international student, with few EC's, bad grades (C to B-), and scores almost identical to yours. Northstarmon, how would you explain that? Furthermore, many similar students from my brothersí year were admitted to top Ivy leagues. Does this, possibly, indicate that American colleges donít consider south Asian grades as accurate meaningful indicators of academic achievement?

By junior on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I think it is very irresponsible for parents to come on this board and make blanket statements about where a poster has best chances and how elite schools view grades/scores.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page