Updated Chances for 'SC, UC's, and Stanford (just for fun)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Updated Chances for 'SC, UC's, and Stanford (just for fun)
By Lebron (Lebron) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

unweighted GPA: 3.95
private GPA: 4.45
weighted GPA/UC GPA: 4.55

SAT I: 800 V, 620 M (1/24/04) = 1420
690 V, 680 M (3/27/04) = 1370
will definitely retake in 10/04
Highest Verbal and Math: 800 V + 680 M = 1480

SAT II: none taken yet, but will take writing, math IIC, chem, and ush (maybe)

APs: 4 on euro, this year will take chem, ush, and english language

ECs: 3 years (so far) varsity basketball, sophomore class treasurer, junior class secretary, 2 years (so far) science olympiad, 1 year (so far) nhs, csf, school honor society, hospital volunteer (>20 hours-more soon), homework tutor at library (>15 hours-more soon), T.A. for 8th grade teacher (sophomore year, >35 hours)

Awards: University of Rochester, for Humanities and Social Sciences

HOPEFULLY NMSQT Semi-Finalist/Finalist
PSAT index: 223 (70 V, 75 M, 78 W)

parents r 'SC alumni (hope this helps)

looking to major in engineering-is this possible w/ my dismal scores? how does a possible scholarship fit in the picture?

thanks for any feedback. please post if u need any more info. thanks!

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

someone please gimme some feedback

By Scion (Scion) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

whoops wrong thread

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

You're in good shape for the UC's. All the UC'S except for Berkeley and LA are virtual locks. Berkeley and LA are more on the gray area, but I'd put my money on your acceptance to both with like...70-30 odds? :O

If you do well on SATII's (2250+/2400), you're in, I think.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

hey thanks for posting. do u think its ok to take the SAT 3 times? thanks.

By Oiboy86 (Oiboy86) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

wot do u mean UCLA and UCBerkeley are on the gray area, Ubercollegeman?

By Lebron (Lebron) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

bump man.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

They're gray in the sense that he's not a shoe-in, but he's got a good shot.

UC's care about SATII scores and GPA, and if you get the SATII scores (your GPA is more than good enough), you're in.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

thanks ubercollegeman.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

sigh...bump

By Lebron (Lebron) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

please look at mine

By Lebron (Lebron) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

happy easter-please check out my chances.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

come on ppl!

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Like the Ubercollegeman said, you've got an excellent shot at even the most competitive UCs. The SAT IIs weigh heavily in the UC application, and since you haven't taken them yet, it's difficult to gauge your chances without them.

Your PSAT math score indicates you're capable of a higher math score than you've already achieved. If you can hit above 700 on the math, you will be in better contention for the best schools (i.e., Stanford).

Judging on your known scores, I expect you to do well on your SAT IIs, and like Ubercollegeman said, if you can achieve a sum score of 2250-2400 in three SAT IIs, your chances can't really get better for the UCs.

Since your parents are USC alumni, the chances are already stacked in your favor. You also have a good shot there.

Stanford is, as with anyone, ambiguous. The admissions decisions made at schools that competitive are so idiosyncratic that there are few consistent guidelines to give you a good idea of where you stand. There's not a lot you can do to significantly increase your chances; Stanford is in your league, and although achieving a higher score on your SAT retake and high scores on your SAT IIs will help, it will not dramatically improve the odds or even come close to guaranteeing admission.

Strong in-progress profile, though. Good luck at the UCs and USC - if you can complete your year with the same degree of strength you already have, you're probably in.

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Oh, and I almost forgot - the UCs do not combine your highest separated verbal and math SAT I scores; they take the highest combined SAT I taken in one sitting. This means that for the UCs, your highest SAT score so far is the 1420 from your January test, not 1480.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

o finally-thanks qvdp. yeah i know that the ucs only take the highest sitting-thats y i need a good score in october (my 3rd time)! i was wondering, if i wanna go into engineering, how will a sat 2 score in ush affect my chances? of course i will be taking chem, but will a good score in us history give the colleges a good impression of my academic "well-roundedness"? anyway, thanks for posting!

By Qvdp (Qvdp) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

I'm no expert in engineering, so if I were you I'd be inclined to go look up on the internet or call up the specific engineering programs you're thinking of applying to and find out whether they will only consider chemistry or whether they will consider other tests and what other tests they are willing to consider.

As a general rule: If an engineering program specifically asks for a test, though, and doesn't ask for others, I would expect that they will only look at the tests they require. If they admit you, they'll admit you because they want you to study engineering, not history. But go ask and find out! They'll probably be more than happy to tell you.

If you apply to a general program of letters and sciences, however, they will probably not be specific about which tests they want and will look at and consider both. In this case, high scores on both tests could demonstrate well-roundedness.

But yeah, go find out from someone who actually knows. =P

By Lebron (Lebron) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 03:30 am: Edit

thanks qvdp.

By Lebron (Lebron) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

bump WAY up here

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page