Chances for an average junior.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances for an average junior.
By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

I am interested in what you think my chances are at the below schools. I am no genius compared to everyone at these boards and I would just like to congratulate you all on your achievemets.

Stats:
White Female from a public school in NJ
Junior
SAT: 1280 (710M) (570V) // plan to retake.
Unweighted GPA: approx. 3.8
Rank: in top 10/150 (ranking hasn't been done yet but I will be between 3-10)

Classes: I am currently in two AP classes and will have 5 more next year. I come from a small school and we do not have many choices. We have 8 AP's to choose from and I will take 7. Besides that, I am in all honors and have all A's and one B (in h. biology) for my 9th and 10th grade years. I have all A's this year, except for a B in chemistry. Yea, I'm weak in science.

EC's:
-Tennis- JV 9th, Sub 10th, varsity 11th (2003 Section Champs)
-Basketball 9th and 10th
-FBLA: VP 9th, President 10th/11th
-Co-founder of a cultural club and current VP 10th/11th
-Key Club member 9th, editor 10th/11th
-100+ hrs. hospital volunteer
-Cable Coordinator for town's television station. I basically control what is put on and this takes a lot of my time.
-Summer Job: Technology department at a board of education (9,10,11)// 30+ hrs a week

I am interested in majoring in communications. I am not certain about which aspect of communcations, either television/radio, public relations, or advertising. I want to minor in business. The schools I have looked into are:

Boston U.
American U.
TCNJ
U Del
Northeastern
Marist
Northwestern (reach)
Seton Hall (safety)

Any other schools you may know, feel free to add. Thank you in advance!

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

bump.

By Thegreatone (Thegreatone) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

banned

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

I think you stand a very good chance at American and Seton Hall. I don't know a lot about the rest.

And you're not "average", you're above average. Anyway, I always assume that the... people on these forums curve their grades and scores up a little bit. Or they could all just be anal retentive whiners, which is a likely and humorous possibility.

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I wouldn't be surprised if some did.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Surprised you don't have Syracuse on your list if you're interested in Communications. It would be a good match/reach for you.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Also consider Emerson College in Boston, Ithaca College, Ball State, Marquette, University of Florida Michigan State and University of Indiana. All have good journalism or communication programs that you'd have good chances of being accepted to. Check out, too, University of Missouri, which has one of the top 3 journalism programs in the country.

I imagine you'd have a good chance of getting accepted to the university: Check the U Missouri web pages to see how hard it is to get into the journalism major.

By Enzom (Enzom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

You are certainly above average, so don't sell yourself short. Are you interested in larger or smaller schools? What about the setting;i.e rural vs urban. A bit more info on this would help to elicit other suggestions.

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions Northstarmom and Carolyn. I actually have Syracuse on my list. I forgot to list it. I'll check into the others this weekend. I like a city setting and larger schools, preferably in the northeast.

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

How about Northeastern University? Has co-op so you can gain some experience in the actual field. It's located in Boston, Mass.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

TCNJ's Communications program is top notch but most people go home on weekends. Marist's program is also good and the students prefer to stay at school on the weekends.

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

I actually just visited TCNJ. They said 75% stay on the weekends and the price of the school is great. I plan on visiting Marist soon. Thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page