Just wondering... do high test scores negate a low gpa?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Just wondering... do high test scores negate a low gpa?
By Askablackdude (Askablackdude) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I am a minority from the south side of chicago. i go to a college preperatory school ranked as one of the best in the city and have taken solid honor's courses since i enrolled(they dont offer regular courses except for gym, band, and art). i am currently a sophmore and have a GPA of 1.7. my gpa is not low because im not smart(i mostly get A's on tests without studying and such) and dont know how to do it. i just had a terrible fhreshmen year and have poor study habits. i never did any work, the usual transition ailments. this year was so so. i average c's mostly. i have(because our schools standerdized test program requires it since the scores were low) taken several practive ACT tests. and average a 31. My PLAN exam test scores were a 33-36. i believe that when i take the act and sat's in september that i will get around a 30-32 and possibly a 1400-1450. i know that colleges dont except people based on test scores alone but i also am from a very challenging enviroment. (poverty, crime, broken home, etc) similar to what holleyc (not related, dont even know the guy) posted, if not the same. if i get straight A's my next two years the most my gpa can be is around a 3.0-3.4. I would like to go to berkeley or NYU(again similar to holleyc) and was wondering if i achieved that if i had a shot at them or possibly even the ivies. notably princeton or columbia.

By Invalidusername (Invalidusername) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

I wish someone had answered this question for me. I too was a minority applicant from a private school with high SAT's, an upward trend, and a low GPA/rank. My GPA/rank seem to be higher than yours, however. Don't keep it from letting you apply, but I think princeton (with 95% of students in the top 10%) and berkeley (with 98% in the top 10%) will be tough sells.

See the results for yourself:

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=community_college_hopeful

By Filmmom (Filmmom) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Askablackdude,

I will suggest the same as I suggested for Holleyc: get that GPA up. Luckily you have more time as you are a sophmore and not a junior. If you can really pull a 4.0 (or close to it) your junior year and your test scores hold, you will have a chance. But you MUST pull that GPA up.

For Berkley (go to their website to see the requirements for out of state) you will have to have to meet their requirements. The UCs do not practice AA but they do look for challenging circumstances. NYU might be a bit easier to get into (but not much).

Also what about finances? Out of state tuition for Berkley is not cheap. NYU is not cheap and doesn't typically give out great financial aid.

How are you doing this semester? What can you do to improve starting now? Good luck.

By Sirjude (Sirjude) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Actually,

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page