Famous people from ivy schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Famous people from ivy schools
By Cru (Cru) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:24 am: Edit

Name some of the most famous people from ivy schools. I'm talking about REALLY famous and well-known people. Don't list some nobel prize winners whom most of us don't know. All I know is Bill Nyle the "Science Guy" from Cornell

By Sneezy on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:52 am: Edit

Hey, HERE'S a post that worth spending a lot of time thinking about! The gist is: think of someone famous from a school you want to go to (but don't have a prayer) and that will improve your chances of becoming famous some day. Wonderful logic.

By hi on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Jodie Foster--Yale

By BrownHopeful on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

John F. Kennedy Jr.
Ted Turner
Lisa Lobe
Leelee Sobieski
and Kings and Queens from EVERYWHERE

...all at Brown...

By lol on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Christopher Reeve...the ORIGINAL superman!

cornell arts and sciences.

Dean Cain...the TV superman.

princeton.

By fadsf on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Brooke Shields Princeton

Julia Stiles Columbiaas

By aa on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

al gore and tommy lee jones roommates at harvard

By aa on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

al gore and tommy lee jones roommates at harvard

By bot on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Ivanka Trump PENN (supermodel, daughter of Donald Trump, who also went to PENN)

By dxiw on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

George Bush - Yale - 1206 SAT score

By 2 cornellians on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Janet Reno - Cornell
Toni Morrison - Cornell

By pussy on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

natalie portman- harvard

By somemore on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Claire Danes-Yale
Natalie Portman-Harvard (Psychology)
David Duchovny(?)-Princeton
Marilyn Manson-Harvard

Chelsea Clinton-Stanford then Oxford ( i know these aren't ivies, but i think it;s worth mentioning).

By a on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

hey does anyone else know of ACT /SAT scores that famous people attending these schools recieved?

By noway on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Marilyn Manson did not go to Harvard. I refuse to believe that.

By jinx on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

michael crichton- harvard medical school

By ColumbiaKids on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I heard somewhere that Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch are both in their freshman year at Columbia. And I know for sure that Julia Styles and that kid from Third Rock who has long hair and looks like a girl both go to Columbia too.

By boyd on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Didn't Brandon Boyd go to Yale?

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Dr. Seuss, Mr. Rogers, Rachel Dratch (of Saturday Night Live), Natalie Imbruglia, Robert Frost and many others attended Dartmouth!

Lucky

P.S.--

Vanessa Carlton begins studies in Psychology at Columbia this fall (Class of 2007); I've not heard of Michelle Branch attending Columbia, but it's possible. Alicia Keys was her HS's valedictorian at 16 and had been accepted to Columbia but decided to pursue her music career. Alums of "10 Things I Hate About You" Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Julia Stiles both attend Columbia. Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo went to Harvard briefly.

By CardinalDude on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

wait. isn't Vanessa like 21 or 22 yrs old? so i guess she'll be among the oldest freshmen, which is NOT a bad thing at all, so don't say stuff to me like "so what?" but at least she got in and i didn't.

i think it's cool that chelsea went to oxford for her graduate study. i read that she was originally a pre-med at Stanford (yeah!!!) but later on declared History. she wrote a 150-page thesis on a topic about Ireland whose primary source was her father. she got an A. damn, having only one source is ok if you're dad is the president. i got bitched at today by my Eng. Lit. prof. for only having 5 sources to back my argument on Keats.

Julia Stiles is cute. so is claire danes.

"no way"
marilyn manson did go to Harvard. he's smart and i really like how he communicates.

By yuoyup on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

yeah, Manson did go to Harvard. i think he majored in either sociology of mythology and forklore.

By yuoyup on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

i meant sociology OR myth and folk

By noway on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Oh my God, let's have this debate now. yay. I wasn't saying that Marilyn Manson isn't intelligent or that he doesn't communicate well or whatever. I just didn't know he went to Harvard. yeah, yeah, I saw him in Bowling For Columbine and he seems smart. ANYWAY, Julia Stiles is so cute, but...

NO WAY.

Claire Danes sucks. and is not cute, and I heard that she went to Indonesia for some movie and told the president (or whatever) that Indonesia was dirty and disgusting, and now they have an unofficial ban on Claire Danes movies in Jakarta...which sounds like a policy we should adopt. Anyway... gossip time over.

By GlenOak on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Marilyn Manson went to the local high school where I will be going if I don't to Andover, WRA or St. Pauls. It's GlenOak High School in Canton, OH

By aa on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

where did bill clinton go?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Yale

By duh on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

clinton went to Oxford

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

duh,
he also went to Yale.....

By lol on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

clinton did undergrad at georgetown...are we counting grad schools now? yes, clinton went to oxford as a rhodes scolar and then got his law degree from yale.

people love to bash bush because he got into yale because he was a legacy there. but he also got into harvard business school on MERIT. he had more experience with texas business than anyone else at the time he applied to harvard.

how many of your out there can honestly claim that they can get into harvard on merit? i'm guessing not many.

By Jane on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

Alicia Keyes-Columbia

By Cratidy on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:55 am: Edit

I doubt GW got into Harvard based on merit. His GPA in college was so ridiculously low in comparison to other people applying to Harvard (he was a C student if i'm not mistaken). In 99% of cases, C student will not be considered for HBS, regardless of how impressive their WE is, unless of course its someone well known, or an institutional admit (URM).

By CardinalDude on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:59 am: Edit

if you guys watch MTV sometimes, that one mtv news host, Gideon Yago, graduated from Columbia with a degree in History. Another host, Sujan Pack, went to Berkeley and got a degree in Political Science.

Chelsea's boyfriend, that geeky dude Ian (hate him), attends Oxford as a rhodes scholar. i'm guessing Bill is all smiling about that...

By CardinalDude on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

oh, i just thought of another one: Jordana Brewster attend(ed)s Yale. her grandpa was once the president of Princeton.

By Jiang Xu on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

Former president of Taiwan Lee Tung Hui went to Cornell.

By aa on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:38 am: Edit

and george w.bush?

By asdfjkl; on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

GW did not get into Harvard on merit. In this country, a name like Bush is going to get you into any school you want. I suggest if you want to go to Harvard, change your last name to Rockefeller.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Sigourney Weaver went to Yale (Drama School, though... makes sense). Reese Witherspoon went to Stanford (non-ivy) as an English Lit major.

By aa on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

what about international people?

By aa on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

what about international people?

By Jwill (Jwill) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Senator Danforth-- Princeton
Ralph Nadar-- Princeton
Osama Bin Laden-- Princeton

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Osama Bin Laden attended BRANDEIS you clown!!!!! Dont you know that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

By lol on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

lol...GW got into harvard on merit. you think he's an idiot but he's still smarter than everyone here. lol. the name bush wasnt as famous back then in the 70s (when GW went to school) as it is now.

By BrownHopeful on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Hello? George Bush senior had only made MILLIONS of dollars by then and made a name for himself (and for his family) Can we just face the fact that our president sucks and that he is dragging us into a war, fueling his nearly retarded middle-american supporters by constantly using irrelevant and arbitrary terms like "EVIL." IS HE KIDDING? How stupid does he think his country is?

God, I hope I get into Brown.

By dj cosine on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

the bush name was in fact big enough. his grandfather was a fairly prominent politician, and by that time his father, as it has been pointed out, was quite wealthy. Bush, who some say got in "on merit" was denied acceptance to UT (austin) Business, which although good no does not compare to Harvard business, and at the time was nowhere near Harvard business.

By lol on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

nope. GW was denied from UT-austin LAW. business is a different field and admissions standards for business schools have ALWAYS been lower than law. as a matter of fact, look at business school GPAs in the 70s and 80s! most students were B- to B students! even into the early 90s...harvard's average GPA was a 3.2 with a GMAT score much lower than expected! work experience is what gave MERIT and credibility to an applicant. GW's millions in texas business was quite unparalleled at the time of application.

besides, if every wealthy person got his way...why isnt harvard and yale filled with only wealthy people? because some people get in on MERIT. like GW for HBS. i agree he got into andover and yale via legacy...but he held no legacy status at HBS. in fact, harvard business school does NOT need bush money...they are RICHER than bush. did you know that in a entrepeneurial class at HBS, the lecturer's first statement to the class is: "look around you...every single one of you will make a million dollars in your lifetimes."

By aa on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

what about people as kennedy and nixon?

By yo on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Henry Winkler(Fonzie) Yale

By = on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Question: How did bush make his millions?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Daddy (and some f/investing in sporst teams and oil)

By backto the topic on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

Jack lemmon-Harvard
Fred Gwynn(Herman Munster) Harvard
Jimmy Stewart- Princeton
Jonas Salk (polio vaccine)-Columbia

By Cru (Cru) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Jeese...
I'm living abroad...
So, I don't know most of these people...
Any really famous, internationally well-known people?

Harvard- Bush
Princeeton- Professor Nash
Yale-A lot of politician
Columbia-Julia Styles
Dartmouth-don't know
Brown- P. Kenedy
Penn- don't know
Cornell- Bill Nyle the science guy

By Rivers on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

RIVERS CUOMO "TEH ULTIMATE WINZ" went to Harvard! Yea w00t!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Theodore Kaczynski: Harvard (the Unabomber)

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

>>Question: How did bush make his millions?<<
Hmm... Ask him... Extortion? Bribery? Corruption? Frauds? hmm... just kiddin. Peace. [I don't want the FBI after me for accusing the BUSH family]

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Lotsa colleges take well known people. Its a matter of prestige and pride for them.
Also, it may get the college a nice hefty donation sometime down the line [take the example of Bill Gates]... Which college would mind that? And that too by making the sacrifice of accepting one not-too-brilliant-person?

By asdfjkl; on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Plus, the more famous the person is that goes to a certain school, the more popular the school becomes, and the more applicants apply there. This means the school gets to reject a higher percentage of the people that apply and they become more "selective" which greatly increases rankings. How nice...

I heard that Kevin Costner's daughter, Peter Boyle's daughter and Danny DeVito's daugher all go to Brown.

By cookie on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Danny DeVito daughter goes to Yale, not Brown. My cousin has a class with her.

By cracker on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

then he has two, because he definitely has a daughter at brown

By apar on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

who the hell is danny devito?

By apar on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

who the hell is danny devito?

By dsf on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

what was bill gate's school?

mit? caltech?

By dsf on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

*gates' (pardon me.)

By jojostevens on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Danny DeVito is the short italian looking guy in every movie ever - austin powers 3, renaissance man, etc. He is married to Rita Pearlman who played in Cheers. Together they produced and starred in Mathilda.

By dedevito on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

my brother has a class with danny devito's daughter at brown. so, yes, one of his daughters definitely goes to brown.

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

hey bill gates didn't go to college as well as tommy hilfiger so really college doesnt mean money...

By fjei on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

bill gates went to harvard, and he decided to drop out to make computers...
he's still on leave so he can go back anytime...

By lol on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

no...bill gates cant come back anytime due to leave. harvard's leave of absence policy extends 5 academic years...at which point, a person has to petition to come back.

so, i'm sure bill gates could come back if he wanted to...because of his fame and money...and not because he was on leave.

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

why he left?

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

why he left?

By goAWAYaa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

aa, really. What's up with the double postings? And that grammar. Geez! :P There's no such thing as a stupid question but there is a such thing as asking too many. READ THE POSTS! Two posts up from your double crap, FJEL just said that he dropped out along with Steve Jobs to invent computers. If you REALLY don't know anything about anything I suggest you not apply to the Ivies.

LOOK THINGS UP!

yahoo.com can answer most of your questions without you annoying EVERY PERSON on this board.

By hahaha on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

hahaha.... ahhh...that is so funny.

and mean.

but funny, anyway.

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

im sorry i dont have enough time as you to look everything up...i train mornings and afternoons everyday...with some exceptions for injuries like today..but i train about 6 hours daily and i am too tired to go searching please pardon me...the thing is that i am peruvian and english is my second language so again pardon my mistakes..in vacations right now so thats maybe also a reason i have everything jumbled up

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

im sorry i dont have enough time as you to look everything up...i train mornings and afternoons everyday...with some exceptions for injuries like today..but i train about 6 hours daily and i am too tired to go searching please pardon me...the thing is that i am peruvian and english is my second language so again pardon my mistakes..in vacations right now so thats maybe also a reason i have everything jumbled up

By aa on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

my comp is messed up it double clicks everything...

By duke on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

grant hill went to duke

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

It's hard to believe all these celebs in movies and on TV got into these schools.

By asdfasdfasdf on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

chris berman - brown

By dsf on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

mat damon, john lithgow- harvard

but hey, madonna went to UMich, Oprah went to Tenesee State... it's not only the Ivies that educate the stars.. Robin Williams- Claremont McKenna, Sigourney Weaver got her B.A. in Stanford, then went for Yale etc...

There is hope!

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:14 am: Edit

Gates dropped outa college- but he still went to college, right?
There are buildings named after Gates in some colleges [I think Stanford or Harvard] cause he donated money or something.

By Cru (Cru) on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:32 am: Edit

Hi!
I'm the one who started this thread.
I never thought that people will leave so many answers! I'm pretty surprised.
Anyway,
If I were Bill Gates, I would consider making my own University and name it GIT, Gates Institute of Technology. Absolutely best facility in the world. Learder in Engineering and Management. I think I'll prefer it to be a tech school since Bill gates is in the technology field. I could also consider buying all those elite professors at schools like Harvard, Princton or MIT. Also, I would make my own NASA on the campus. Asolutely best facility in the world. It would be amazing. Everyday students will wake up in the morning by the sound of space shuttles launching. Oh... And, make my own disney world on campus for GIT students only. It would be too crowded it were to be used as a tourism purpose.
GIT students will have all the opportunities they need. Every student will have the opportunity to make their own satellite and launch it into space before graduation.
These are just my imagination.
I believe Bill Gates has more than enough money to do this 10 times over.
What will you guys do with if you were Bill Gates and had ll those money? I want to use most of the money for education, engineering and medical research purposes.

By idiot on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

wait dxiw, how did george bush get a 1206 SAT score? SAT scores r in increments of 10...if u dunno wut ur talkin about, dont post here

By 770 on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

gates dropped out because he is so damn smart he knew he could make a lot of money with computers and software and stuff like that.....
he made a damn good choice too cause now hes a multi billionaire.....

By indian on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

India's richest Industrialist,Anil Ambani went to UPenn....

By rayale on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Yale: Prescott Bush, GB, GWB. Bill and Hillary-Yale Law. John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Howard Dean, Sen. John Chafee, Sen. Danforth, Jodie Foster, Henry Winkler, Sigourney Weaver, Angela Bassett, Samuel Morse, Eli Whitney, John Ashcroft, R. Seargant Shriver, everyone else who matters. Yale is obviously the best.

By Blan (Blan) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Doink the clown - Harvard
Yokozuna - Princeton
Sadaam Husein - Yale
David Hasselholf - UAlcohol

By Blan (Blan) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

John Lynn Walker - MIT

By BJB on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg
TV anchor Wolf Blitzer
President Woodrow Wilson
Environmentalist Rachel Carson
Director Wes Craven
NAACP Chairman Kweisi Mfume
Wisconsin Governor Scott McCallum
Masterpiece Theatre host Russell Baker
and Gomez from the Addams Family

... all from Johns Hopkins

By Smith on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:10 am: Edit

How many of you know that Gates did NOT make DOS . He bought from a friend for $500/ or so and Licensed it to IBM as his mother was a IBM director and consort (????) of then IBM chairman. He must have planed few thousand on DOS but and he was just plain LUCKY .
I donít know how he got into Harvard but a IBMK board memberís son will not be turned down normally as in the case of Bush

By nyu on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

marilyn monroe-NYU
Ed Koch (former mayor of nyc) NYU Law
Howard Kosel(sports announcer)NYU
Woody Allen-NYU
JFK Jr. NYU Law
Robin williams-Julliard

By bored on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Kathryn Hepurn - Bryn Mawr.
Mr. Bean guy - Oxford (no joke!)
Paul Newman - Kenyon

By wannabe on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Brown:
-Laura Linney
-the director of Far From Heaven

By moi on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

Dar Williams - Wesleyan

By lIE on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Idiot- You are resembling your own username. GWB's 1206 was before the recentering of the SAT when they had scores like this.

By asdf on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Conan O'Brien- Of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on NBC, and former Saturday Night Live/Simpsons writer went to Harvard.

By NYUisthebestestschoolintheworld on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Spike Lee- NYU
Debra Messing-NYU
Adam Sandler- NYU

By LKJK on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

bored, i wouldn't be surprised if the Mr. Bean guy went to Oxford. He's a comedy genius, that doesn't indicate that he's a dumbass.

By adsfads on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

did sadam hussein really go to Yale?

By Yes on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

FYI, Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is an Oxford graduate.

By j on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Saddam Hussein did not go to Yale. He went to Cairo University and some university in Baghdad.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

in response to adsfads i:
"did sadam hussein really go to Yale?"
***No, he went to Yeshiva University. Dont you know that?....

By Ivy___Hopeful (Ivy___Hopeful) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:57 am: Edit

Didn't Howard Stern go to Harvard?

By Mina (Mina) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

ANYONE FROM MIT????

By Wonderland89 (Wonderland89) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

Howard Stern when to BU. FACT. He was willing to donate a huge sum of money if the college of communication (which he was a graduate of) was named "The Howard Stern College of Communication". BU turned it down politely.
Other grads from BU: Geena Davis, Julianne Moore, Bill O'Reilly, Jason Alexander. Supposedly, Rosie O'Donnell dropped out.

By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Cornell - The president of Taiwan (I think Lee Teng-hui?)

By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Also for Cornell :
Bill Maher (politically incorrect)
CEO of Citi Corp
CEO of Qualcomm

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page