Minority w/ ok sat and not so good grades (running out of ti

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Minority w/ ok sat and not so good grades (running out of ti
By dj_cosine on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

i'm a minority student, w/ a 1520 SAT, and i know some of you think that AA unfairly helps minorities with so-so SAT scores and good grades, but does it help kids like me with pretty good SAT scores and not so great grades. would straight A's this semester dramatically help?

By Tim (Tim) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

If everything else is at the same level as your SAT you can probably get in anywhere.

Tim

By bump on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

bump

By dj_cosine on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

bt thats the thing, my grades aren't anywhere near my sat. like i said, they're pretty bad.

By bump on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

bump

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:16 am: Edit

Hmm... I dunno... You need good grades to get into a good school- the SAT is hardly a measure of one's intelligence... College's are looking for good grades, rather than awesome SAT scores.

By Sato on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:50 am: Edit

There is a reason why 9/10 people at Ivy's have awesome SAT scores. There's also a reason why those who score higher on the SAT do better in college(statistical correlation and the reason why the SAT has lasted decades). However, the test can be prepared for, but a certain amount of basic intelligence is needed to do well. Itís sort of like a one-way valve: smart people can do badly, but dumb people canít do well.

By mac on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:02 am: Edit

Yea, but good grade shows the school motivation and tenacity. If you have bad grades and excellent SATs, you are telling the college admission staff that you are capable and smart,but not very motivated and that you are a slaker. Not a pretty picture. Best thing is to have grades that correspond to SAT scores.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:14 am: Edit

Where minority status is considered it often gives you bonus points, for schools that use formulas, or becomes a separate factor to consider in and of itself for schools that avoid formulas. In other words it can help regardless of what your GPA or test scores are. You do not say how bad your grades are but you should understand that consideration of minority status is only going to help so much and it is not likely going to accomplish miracles (like getting into Harvard with a 2.0 GPA). If you are a junior (and it sounds as if you are) getting all A's this semester (and even next) would be a factor considered, both because it would obviously raise your GPA but also because many schools consider whether a person is showing improvement as the years progress -- some even throw out all freshman grades.

You should be aware that the US Supreme Court currently has a case before it involving Michigan's AA program (which generally awards bonus points; the one being considered is actually for Michigan's graduate programs). The decision will come out this year before July. How it will actually go is not known but it will likely have a significant impact on all AA programs -- either by validating them and thus making universities feel more comfortable adopting and using them, or by determining they are invalid, in which case next year you may not be able to rely on minority status to help in your application.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page