Deffered at Georgetown. What do I do next?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Deffered at Georgetown. What do I do next?
By jm on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Hello,

Last Dec. I recieved a letter confirming defferal at Georgetown. At this point is there anything I can do to help my chances? Revise essay, etc.

By def on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

i would say find out what went wrong such as SAT and fix them fast

By jj on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

What do you mean, fix them fast? I only got a 1180 on SAT but scored a 29 on ACT (21 science, 32 english, 28 math, 34 reading)

By Fish3715 on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

It's too late to do anything score-wise. The most you can do is contact admissions and inform that of any changes since your application and let them know you're still interested.

By bij on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

I am sorry but 1180 is too low for Georgetown. I would not be to optimistic at this point. I also got deffer with a 1220 SAT and I doubt I'll get in. Of course my ECs suck.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

You don't provide your class rank or area of study that you're interested in, but:

For an SAT verbal in the 500's and intending to study Liberal Arts, the admit percentage for the incoming class of 2002 who were in the top 5 percent of their class were 23 out of 147; verbal score in the 600's, 110 out of 770. It gets worse if you're not in the top 5 percent.

For an SAT math in the 500's and in the top 5 percent of your class, they admitted 23 out of 153; SAT math in the 600's, 127/795. If you just drop to the second 5 percent (the bottom of the first decile), the numbers are 5/88 for the score in the 500's and 31/379 for a score in the 600's.

They must have seen something they liked or they wouldn't bother to defer you. However, rule of thumb is that 85 percent of deferred don't make it in.

Sorry...but I'd be planning on another school. You can always feel like you won the lottery if you get accepted.

By jj on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Here's the info I submitted:

15/219
3.75 GPA- Taken hardest course load possible at my school (except AP Cal)
29 ACT (32 English, 28 Math, 34 Reading, 21 Science)
1180 SAT (570 math, 610 Verbal)
SAT II- 720- US Hist, 630 Writing, 570 Math IC
Government major
Good rec from US History teacher who knew of my intellectual curiosity in politics
I thought I was "flowing" when I wrote the essay

EC
ASB Pres.
Boys State
Presidential Classroom
Varsity Track and Field
Junior Class President
Big Brothers/Big Sisters Mentorship
Student Rep. to school board

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

thedad, they probably saw the 29 ACT, which is equivalent to about a 1270-1300 SAT, and ignored the SAT score. The 32 English and the 34 Reading subscores are impressive.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

Could be, Pat.

Funny, I'm just a parent. But the total package looks exactly "borderline" to me. As in, I'd want to see who else was applying before making a final judgment.

Now, here's something to consider: the Admissions officers aren't completely objective. They all have their own tics and biases. Personally, I'd be inclined to be forgiving of the SAT's if everything else was okay...I like the combo of rank/GPA/strength of schedule.

But _my_ tic is that I find the EC's boring. As in, jeez, not another student government psycho. O actually find the Big Brothers/Big Sisters more interesting--I'd want to see if it was referenced in the essay at all--and, as a former cross-country runner, I have some sympathy for a track guy and would at least want to flip through the file and see what his events were.

You think the first and second readers of your file wouldn't possibly approach your file like that? You wanna make a bet?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page