NY/NYC Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: NY/NYC Schools
By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

I want to goto a school in New York preferably in NYC, and I wanted some suggestions to where I should/could go. I guess I'm interested in Business, Lingustics, Medicine (Med-Pharm), or Journalism.

I'm a sohpmore by the way, my Overall Grade Average is 91.53. I've taken all the honors courses offered in my school so far English and Global. My ec's would have to be service in the Guidance office and NHS. On the SATs I will definately get a 1200+.

Any reccomendations for schools? I can raise my GPA a bit, I'm sort of in this lazy phase (for the past 3 years).

I can be considered a minority, also my parents never graduated from a college/uni.

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Reaches--NYU
Matches--Syracuse, Fordham, Pace, Wagner, Ithaca
Safeties--any SUNY, binghamton is the best

If you get over a 1300 on the SAT and boost the gpa you could try to reach for Cornell and Columbia too.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

you need better ECs...and why NY?

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

"Reaches--NYU
Matches--Syracuse, Fordham, Pace, Wagner, Ithaca
Safeties--any SUNY, binghamton is the best"
Do you think I can get into all the CUNYs also? I'm seriously looking at Baruch as a dream school if I don't get into NYU.

"If you get over a 1300 on the SAT and boost the gpa you could try to reach for Cornell and Columbia too. "
Raise my GPA by how much?

"you need better ECs"
Yeah I know, I'm going to try harder next school year since all the clubs stopped accepting last month.
"why NY?"
I live in NYC and I don't want to go out of state because of medical conditions of people in my family.

Thank you both by the way, anybody else who may be willing to help please do so!

Ohh another question, my school doesn't have a 4.0 scale so how would I convert my Average to GPA?

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

CUNY's are a given, definitely a safety. Cuny Honors is also supposed to be really good considered if you get in, its free. But the standards are as high as applying to NYU. You have to have at least a 1300 to stand a chance. I think they even give you a free laptop if you make it. GPA wise to apply to (I think) NYU at least a 93. Cornell and Columbia at least a 95. But it also matters how you rank compared to other students in your school. A average of 94 and a rank in the top 10 percent is also very good. And you don't have to convert the average to gpa. Also you need to take SATIIs to apply to those reaches. You should also take more AP's and honors courses.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Several other good schools to consider if you want to be nearer to NYC than 4 or 5 hours away (as are Binghamton and Ithaca) are: Fairfield University, Quinnipiac, SUNY Purchase, Manhattanville.

By Poeman (Poeman) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

id like to say pace, St.johns university, and Baruch are good.

But baruch is a very nice business school and cheap. im going to st.johns so o well

By Impulse (Impulse) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

a low 90 and mid 1200s is the midrange for Binghamton, so I wouldn't consider it a safety. Pace however is a lot easier to get in.

Not to be mean or anything, but Cornell and Columbia seems a bit out of league. You probably need a good mid 90s and 1400+ to consider yourself competitive among the applicants.

NYU is a good reach for many students in NY. Especially NYU sterns is one of the best business schools. Boost up the grade and you might get in.

Also make sure your ecs has some kind of theme (not kidding). Colleges really don't like it when you have all kinds of ecs, it is better to FOCUS on a few selected ec and be DEDICATED to it. ECs are the best tools to distinguish urself from the other 91s and 1300s, you dont want colleges to be all confused with ur ec and primary interest.

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

My suggestion, if you can raised your SAT score up to a 1400, if not mid 1300's, try for NYU. It has a lot of good oppurtunities for journalism.

Also if youre interested in Journalism or med stuff, take AP Bio, AP Eng.
And of course the SAT II Bio, writing, mat Ic.

Try and SHOW that your a hard worker by taking more difficult classes, and standardized tests and you should have pretty good chances at NYU

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Thanks a bunch Grace, so CUNY honors are offered in all CUNY schools?

Carolyn, thanks I will definately look up those colleges.

Poeman, umm...I goto highschool like across the street from Saint Johns, I'd rather be out of that neighborhood. Especially since Jamaica High School is also so close by, and did you hear about the guy that was shot in the face a month ago?

Impulse, yeah I don't expect to goto more reputable schools like those...A theme for ECs, yeah I thought about that but there is like 5 clubs in my school none of them are really related..I guess I could do a whole lot of community service during the summer....

Josh, I take all the of most difficult classes offered in my school already (btw my school is a poor NYC public school)...I used to dream about going to NYU but now I know I probably couldn't afford it even if I got in so I'm not shooting so high anymore. I would be content by going to Baruch.

Thanks a whole bunch people!

Ohh when do you reccommend taking the SAT II, like when should I take each of them? My gudiance councilor doesn't know what an SAT II is, let alone how to register me for it. I guess I'm misguided.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

CUNY Honors are not offered at all CUNY's. I may be excluding one or two, but it is offered at Hunter, Queens, and Brooklyn College.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Hunter is in Manhattan right?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Yes, on 68th street.

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

CUNY Honors is also offered at Baruch. SATIIs are given at the same time as SAT I, you can take 3 at a given date. Most of the reach schools want writing, a math, and any other subject. You should take them after you take AP courses in the subject. I took all my SAT IIs in one sitting because it was cheaper. ( if you take them on different dates you have to pay for the registration fee.)Since you are only a soph you have alot of time to plan this out, but make sure you do well on each SATII you take because the colleges will see all the scores.

By Impulse (Impulse) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

ooo Sploosh u go to a HS next to St Johns? Thats cool my HS is kinda close to St Johns too... the manhattan one :)

By Impulse (Impulse) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Oh and tell your school to fire your guidance counselor. I suggest you take SATIIs after you take the course? SATIIs really tests u in that specific subject so you better be really good at it. I would take IC after finishing math B and IIC after finishing precalculus. Language SATIIs are only offered during november. Asian kids dominate the asian languages... so no need to try that. Writing is also an important one that many colleges require. Schedule it carefully so you don't have to take 3 in one sitting.

To sign up for SATIIs you simply need to go to www.collegeboard.com and just... sign up.

By Cynicalkarma626 (Cynicalkarma626) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

More suggestions:

Marymount Manhattan College has a good comm. arts program (which journalism is part of). It would be a safty for you. It's on East 71st street.

Also Manhattan College would be a match/safty for you. It's a great school in Riverdale right above the Bronx, only a subway ride away from Manhattan.

If you need aid I would NOT suggest Fordham because their aid sucks.

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

sloosh, what school do u go to in nyc?

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Thats nice to know that the honors program is also offered at Baruch. Thank you so much Grace, I love your name btw :).

Impulse yes I goto a school across the street from the Queens part of St. Johns. Yeah there are a lot of complaints about her (guidance counselor) but the school won't do anything. Damn I can't take the korean SAT II? lol I'm not good with korean anyway learning it is a hobby for me so I'm not really progressing quickly. Ohh collegeboard.com I've heard of this site someplace it looks informative!

Fordham's aid is bad? Darn, it sounded like such a nice school too. Manhattan College? Thats not part of CUNY right?

I feel so clueless on this forum, everyone is so knowledgable about College and their stats are so extraordinary. o.o

I goto Edison HS by the way.

Christos Anesti~ guys, I can't believe I'm on the internet today.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Is there a website for cuny honors, ohh what would my average be on the GPA scale? Or how would I go about changing it into that scale?

By Cynicalkarma626 (Cynicalkarma626) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Manhattan College is not part of the Cuny's. It's a nice private Catholic college. They have a lot of merit based aid available if you do some searching.

Yes, Fordham's aid is bad. I also heard that NYU gives pretty crappy aid too.

On the gpa thing I have no clue, sorry.

By Bigunderdog (Bigunderdog) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

My girlfriend with an 83 average, 1210 SAT got accepted to NYU's hospitality program for next year's class, which accepted only 50 students total for the program. She's Asian, had very limited extracurriculars (only little volunteer work), although she did have an internship and then a job at the Ritz Carlton hotel. You have a shot. Keep working hard, and you'll be surprised how many schools will want you. Good luck.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Your girlfriend is a high school student? Did she sign up to that program directly or did she just get accepted?

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

~Bump

Anyway more suggestions would be appreciated or even comments maybe motivating words?

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

x/4 = 91.53/100 --> this is how to convert your avg to a 4.0 gpa scale.

Just keep on working hard, take a challenging course load, you need AP's. You are only a sophmore you worry too much. College apps are 2 years away. Also the kind of college you want to apply to depends on what your looking for and how high your standards are. Plenty of great schools in NYS and a couple in NYC. Oh, and that post about the girl and NYU is probably a transfer. Why NY anyway?

By Lockin54 (Lockin54) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

ok i don't get it. If i have a 3.4 what would that be in the 100 scale. a 85?

By Poiz0n (Poiz0n) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Ok you misunderstand about the GPA scale. 2 yers ago an admissions guy from NYU came to my school (I was a sophomore then) and he told us how to calculate GPA. You take your average (92 for example), subtract it by 55, and then divide by 10. Now there has been debate over this system and the one Grace has given. I also read previous posts that Sploosh had written. Considering you are a minority, you have a much better chance at any ivy league schools in NY, and even NYU. This one boy in my school, who is African-American, got into Columbia and Cornell (although deferred from NYU) and he had a 1260 SAT-I and low SAT-IIs, with only a 92.5 average. I guess you can say he is lucky, but the colleges need the numbers of different cultures in the school so I guess it worked out. CUNY Honors is a good school, but then again its a college. Personally, I do not feel you will obtain the same education from lets say Baruch Honors as you would from NYU Stern School of Business. However, that is my own opinion.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Grace- Thanks, I want to goto a school in NY because I live here in NYC. And a lot of family issues, many hispanic families don't like or just dont understand it when you move far away for college. Poizon, being a minority I guess I have some disadvantages like how my family doesn't really understand the admissions process and doesn't know the difference between a Community college and a University...although this is true I want to get into a school 99% based on merit. If I'm way below the standards for the schools I am looking at I'm not going to apply, because then I would probably struggle in a school that is too good for me. I don't like AA at all in fact, I think it should be based on economic status because I know whites and blacks that goto the same poor school and are equally disadvangted education-wise and they should have an equal opportunity in colleges. I am dirt-poor which is probably a bigger disadvangte than have minority parent(S).

I'm also unsure of my minority status because my Mom is Dominican, yet my dad is Greek. They are equal as to their knowledge of College Admissions and they are both 1st Generation Americans which was an even BIGGER disadvangte for them because they couldn't really goto college because of my immigrant grandparents who felt they needed to work right out of High School. So am I a minority?

By Peto60 (Peto60) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:41 am: Edit

I got in to NYU Tisch for Drama. I had a 3.45 GPA a 1150 SATI, I'm hispanic, going to be a freshman, did alot of extracirr, Two years of Method acting training 25 hours a week for 45 weeks of the year. so if you well balanced you can get into NYU, look at Me , apply and see what happens

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

You can state that you are Hispanic or an "other" if you prefer. You should definitely apply to reach schools and take the challenge. Don't just go to mediocre school because you are afraid to fail. And all those "disadvantages" will work as advantages in the admissions process. Colleges want diversity in their students whether it is based on econmic or social reasons. Don't worry about money either, if you are good enough to get into a top university or Ivy, they all almost guarantee to meet your financial need. In those schools most aid is given to those who need it, the poor students, such as yourself will be able to afford an ivy or great education. But understand that you WILL have to take out loans,a great education does not come free. Sure, you can go to a crappy callege for free because of your grades but you won't have a good education and you will never learn the limit to your abilites until you put yourself next to others who may be smarter.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I guess time will tell huh? I'll post again in a year this same topic until then I'll just browse the threads in this forum.

Thanks Grace :) You've been very helpful.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

sploosh- I think you have a great chance. Your rank is pretty important, so if you don't shoot really high, then your rank will probably drop-so just hold on there and keep on shooting high, and you'll have great opportunities.

By Sploosh (Sploosh) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I'm sorry for wasting more space on my pathetic excuse for "stats". Anyway I would like to know if Baruch Honors College would be a match or a reach for me. Any insight would be welcomed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page