Chances at Princeton and Brown with low SAT score

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Chances at Princeton and Brown with low SAT score
By Kane 64 on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

I took the SATs three times and didn't do so well (1060 combined) I am applying to Princeton and Brown Universities. What are my chances of getting accepted?

BTW, I'm a minority

P.S.-What's the issues with affirmative action concerning the Ivy League schools and minorities (if you don't mind me asking)

By jj on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

If you can study for it and retake it go for it. If its too late than, best of luck to you. I did •••••• on the sat also (1180) and then I took the ACT and got a neutral score of 29.

By cookie on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

How are your grades, buddy. That might make a difference.

By a on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Uh...

If you can get it over 1300, that would help you.

By Ted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

See Maria with a 1140 : http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1847&Nav_Sec=63164

By Kane 64 on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

First, and no offense, but to cookie, I'm a girl.

Second, my grades are great. I have a 3.8 GPA (ranked number 20) and a 95 average.

I am involved in the National Honor Society, the Spanish Club, the Foreign Language Honor Society and the Computer Club. I'm also involved in band (plays the clarinet and trumpet).

I am also in Who's Who Among American High School Students and the United States Achievement Academy.

By Tim (Tim) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

"P.S.-What's the issues with affirmative action concerning the Ivy League schools and minorities (if you don't mind me asking)"

Being minority will probably make up for a lot of those lost points on the SAT.

Tim

By Rhonda on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:06 am: Edit

Your score is low for any applicant to princeton and brown. If you look on Brown's admissions website, they have charts of SAT scores (broken down in 50pt ranges) and acceptance rate. Very few are accepted in the 1050-1100 range, and you can expect a lot of those are athletes. Princeton is prob even worse. Your ECs are also pretty run of the mill. Your GPA is OK -- what are you ranked 20 out of? I think that unless you can show severe disadvantaged circumstances, you're out of luck at these schools, and maybe even out of luck if you can show that. There are enough minorities with high and reasonably OK (12-1300) scores that apply to these schools. I don't mean to be overly negative, you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot, but just be realistic.

By dfa on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Honey, it's doubtable that you'll be admitted, but good luck

By a on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

middlebury, bates, colby, bowdoin, and connecticut are all prestigious schools that DO NOT REQUIRE SAT SCORES!

By me on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

middlebury and colby both require sat's. Bates is optional. I forget what Bowdoin's policy is- i sent them anyways.

By almaz on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

id say you barely have a chance at either. the rest of your stats arent impressive enough to outweigh such poor sat scores. being a minority doesnt cut it.

tim is an idiot.

By GLYCOPROTEINRECEPTOR on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Don't listen to these people-- you have a great chance if you present it well. If you have a good heart you will succeed. If interested contact me on this forum and we can petition the supreme court together to prosecute e.t.s. and abolish the sat because i am also applying to princeton this year w/ 1200 sat and its a discriminatory institution.

By aw on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

How the SAT score is received has more to do with your socio-economic background and school than with your skin color. If you are from an under-resourced school and you haven't had the luxury of private SAT tutoring, the scores will be received better than if you are coming from a tony prep school. Even so, those are pretty low scores for Princeton and Brown, and your class rank won't help your situation.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page