First Generation Parent Quotes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: First Generation Parent Quotes
By Stargzrlilychk1 (Stargzrlilychk1) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I was inspired by some posts in an earlier thread on first generation (and the asian parents' qutoes...gotta love them asian parents!)

But seriously, for all of us people whose parents didn't attend college, their (usually uneducated) take on the admissions process can be very funny. I'll go first.

"Beth, you have a great shot at Yale!!! You took the SATs for christ's sake! They've gotta love that!"

"Cornell!, but that's all the way in New York! Are you sure you don't just want to come and work with me at the hospital."

"I never went to college, and I provide for our family just fine. You think you can do better than me????"

My personal favorite (i love her anyway):
"Beth, you should major in Reading. You're good at that."

So post away your favorite quotes.

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

This post is sooo old. Besides, I think first gen's deserve more respect. They have to work hard to start a family and stuff- its not easy ya know. Besides. This has nothing to do with "what are my chances" anyways.

By Elzbieta777 (Elzbieta777) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

HaHa my parents are Polish Immigrants and did not attended college. they worked really hard for our family but sometimes my mother cracks me up too. she says "why don't you come with me to clean houses. i make lots of money!",,,ect....
i told my father i wanted to go to Weidner and he said, "too expensive, elzbieta!!! you want cd player, and sneakers AND college...too many things! America makes you greedy!"

By Chen (Chen) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Don't forget to study spelling for the SATs.

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I love it when my dad says FAFSFSFA instead of FAFSA

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Oh -- Here's another one... "Why would you want to go to Harvard? ...The Crimson??? I didn't even know they had a football team. Go to Notre Dame, so you can be part of the Fighting Irish."

By Valpal (Valpal) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

Stargazer, those quotes are hysterical---LOL! Your poor parents really ARE clueless. Maybe you should direct them to CC. A couple of weeks reading on this site will get them up to snuff in no time.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

"Get a 1500 on your SAT and Harvard will take you for free!"

"Why do you want to go to Yale, only stupid kids go there who take that other SAT (ACT)"

"You read that large book (War & Peace), you no doubt will go to Harvard" though I thought that one was a little sketch (fake.)

Even though my parents have been living in the US for 30 years and know english perfectly well and have become successful they still give in to the Harvard Hype.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page