7 year med program or Ivy??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: 7 year med program or Ivy??
By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

My two best friends and I are going through the same thing. Med Program or Ivy League/ similar school?

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

It depends on what you want...if you want a great undergraduate experience, spend a full four years at an ivy exploring intellectually and personally...if you are extremely career oriented--which is great--and want to save the hassle of applying to medical school, then do the 7-year. Personally if I got into an ivy, i would go there to have a full undergraduate experience...If you got into one, and you are diligent--which is evident from the fact that you got in--then you should probably be able to get into medical school. What is one year anyway? My 2 cents.

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Thanks so much Imac!
Anyone else?

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Depends on the school.

If youre talking about NUs program, do it. Its right up there with Ivys. Basically, if its a 7 year program at a top 20, even top 25/30 school, you should just do that. Ur saving time and money.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Brown offers you a 7 year and is an Ivy.
2 for 1.

By Doctort (Doctort) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

um, what's a great undergraduate experience? An ivy doesn't guarantee that. You can get good experiences at any undergrad school. Here are the facts: medical school is tough, getting tougher with higher GPA/MCAT scores needed. Competition is tough and less than half of the applicants get in. When med. schools evaluate applicants, a 3.3 at an ivy is nothing compared to a 3.7 at a state school. GPA matters and it'll be tough to do well at an ivy when there are people just like you. Any 7-yr program allows you to skip all that hastle, enjoy undergrad, not take MCATs for some of the really tough programs (NW, RPI). Take it, almost all bs/md students do well at medical school and get competitive resdiencies of their choice. Prestige-wise, bs/md programs are as tough or even tougher to get into than ivies.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

here's the thing though doctort ....

true, an ivy doesn't guarantee a great undergraduate experience, however, no school GUARANTEES a great undergraduate experience, because every person is different and what may seem horrible to one person may seem great to another.

personally, I would not go to the seven year program. this is because i have talked to several people who have gone through it, and they said that it wasn't worth it just to save a year. they said it was really rigorous, and that they felt that they could have gotten into a better medical school had they applied the regular way.

that was my experience with talking to people. it's up to you, but if it was me, i would not do the seven year program.

By Rayray222 (Rayray222) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:28 am: Edit

Berkeley guarantees you a great undergraduate experience.

But anyways... seven year programs are worth it. And not all ivy's are good.

Brown sucks, Dartmouth sucks, UPenn Undergrad(no wharton) SUCKS. UCLA is a better school than those three in my opinion.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Brown does not suck. I don't know enough about Dartmouth or Upenn to reply, but Brown does not such. Open curriculum, providence, medium sized ivy, large acceptance of people into medical schools....what's bad about brown? i mean i'm sure it has its disadvantages as does every university, but i don't think it sucks. I personally like Brown a lot

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

Brown's PLME is an 8-year program...which is great because although you are on the fast track to medical school, you can still have a full undergraduate experience.

Doctort I never said that she can have a great undergraduate experience only at an Ivy...but from her post that was one of two options she was considering. What I meant was as an undergraduate you should be able to explore and not be so focused on one thing that it consumes all of your time...unless you really love it, in which case, as I said, go for the 7-year.

By Doctort (Doctort) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

The 7-year bs/md program is for students who know they want to become a doctor when they grow up. Many of the programs although accelerated are not stressful because most of the applicants have AP credit and do not need to spend summers or take like 4 sciences. I know that at the BU, RPI, and NW program (the 3 best for 7-yr programs), students don't need to stay for summers and pretty flexible curriculums. Yes an undergraduate should be able to explore, but sometimes this exploring can eliminate the option of medical school because you don't have a high enough GPA or you didn't fulfill your major requirements in the given time while exploring. It's good to go with an open mind, but you also need to have some sort of focus and timeline to get things done. Medical school is difficult to get into and when you have a program, it is wise to take it. Someone said somehting about getting into a better medical school. Most of the programs mentioned (the three I mentioned above) have really good residency placement esp for bs/md students because they tend to do well in medical school as well. Remember, prestige is not a huge factor in the medical profession. A Harvard M.D. does not earn more than a Drexel M.D. Medicine is not like business/law where graduates get pulled by companies after graduate based on school reputation.

By Luda (Luda) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I agree with doctort.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page