Financial aid for rich people

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Financial aid for rich people
By joe on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

hey,

if my dad makes 200 grand + /yr, is it worth it to fill out FAFSA and apply for financial aid and all that crap? how much can i realistically expect to get from the ivies. on all my apps i responded no to whether i will be applying for financial aid. any thoughts?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

financial aid is for those who need it. I suggest you pay for school yourself, and let those who need it use it. HOWEVER, you can apply for merit scholarships if your grades are good...

By no one on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

FAFSA only got me loans to cover tuition costs and my parents, in total, make over 100K/year. fill it out anyways and see what happens.

By nora on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

i know colleges SAY they use "need blind" admissions and don't take into consideration how much someone makes. BUT in actuality does it help you if the college knows you'll be paying for it by yourself? wouldn't the Ivies prefer kids who don't file for financial aid? say there are two kids with the same stats and level of EC's, basically they are both borderline, one has filed FAFSA and the other has declined financial aid....who would have the edge???

By nobody on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

depends...for ivies, they don't make the majority of their money off of tuition fees; they get money from successful graduates eager to donate. So in essence it doesn't really matter, they can afford to be need-blind because they want successful candidates more than sub-par paying candidates.

By hot_dog on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:55 am: Edit

yeah, at an ivy, tuition would only be a problem if nobody ayed, along with alumni donations, hey get millions in endowments from the gov't and private corporations.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page