NYU-study abroad program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: NYU-study abroad program
By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Hi,I am currently a high school junior at an american school located in Japan.Although NYU is my first choice,it is a reach for me.I have heard of the study abroad program of NYU in the Florence, Italy branch,and wondered if anyone knew how high of GPA and SAT score you need to get in general to be accepted.Does anyone know?

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

are you american or japanese? I would love to be able to study in japan

By Matth (Matth) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 08:28 am: Edit

Florence is the gsp program for internationals for freshman year. There's no way to know what gpa or sat score you'll need because you will be measured against whoever applies the same year you do. A certain percentage of applicants are referred to gsp each year and usually their stats are a little below those of those who are accepted into the other colleges at NYU. Check on the NYU forum under individual schools and you can see some of the gsp kids' info. Here's what admissions says:

Admission to the Freshman Year in Florence Program, like admission to NYU in NYC is highly selective and is based on a number of factors including your grades. Standardized test scores along with high school curriculum, achievement in that curriculum, essay, letters of recommendation, and extra curricular activities are all considered when reviewing the application for admission to Florence. For more information, please feel free to visit our website at www.nyu.edu/ugadmissions/florence or e-mail our program directly at florence@nyu.edu

By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:47 am: Edit

Thanks so much.one more question--I've heard from graduates of my high school that NYU looks heavily upon your personal essays...would they want me to write about cultural things, the program beng a global studies and all? I'm an active member in this club called Kyogen which puts together a traditional Japanese performance of art/comedy on stage every year.Would writing about the experience help distinguish me from others?

By Yongsunkwon (Yongsunkwon) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:39 am: Edit

i thought you couldnt apply directly to NYU. The nyu forum said only 8~10% of freshmen are reccomended to gsp. Can comeone clarify this for me?

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

I think you mean that you can't apply directly to gsp? And you're right, you can't.

By Yongsunkwon (Yongsunkwon) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

but the site kinda looked like you could apply directly to it. is it only for internationals or am i just wrong?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

you cant apply directly to gsp... gsp isnt supposed to be prestigous like you are making it out to be... the top 10% (or something) of the REJECTED nyu applciants are refered to gsp than after 2 years of succesful completion of the program they are allowed to take courses in the real nyu....optimally you want to be accepted to whatever college of nyu u apply to... you can still study abroad for a semester in fact they recommend it. For example, for my major, they recommend we spend one semester abroad during our sophmore year

By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

but what about the freshmen in florence program?seniors in my school have applied directly there.does anyone else know?thanks to all those ppl who posted such helpful info.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page