Social Security Number?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Social Security Number?
By ??? on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

What does it mean if a college wants my social security for "internal tracking only"? This is not for an application... it's from one of those letters that come bc of Student Search Service...

Thanks to anyone who knows...

By blah on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

don't do it if it's not from a reliable source.

By f on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:48 am: Edit

Nope, don't give them your SSN until you're a formal applicant filling out the application.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:53 am: Edit

I've wondered about this. My guess is that it allows them to open at least an electronic file on you, to distinguish YOU as Joe Bloggs from all the other Joe Bloggses out there.

Reason I think this is that they ask for this on the cards they have at the high school visits & college fairs, on sign-ins at local stuff put on by the alumni association. Can't remember if they've asked for it on campus tours...my daughter filled the stuff out.

But if so, it allows them to track how interested you are in the school. Makes sense from a marketing perspective. And if you're interested in the school, it makes sense to do everything you can for Admissions to think that you're interested.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:05 am: Edit

thedad, why are you still awake

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

All times posted on this board are Eastern.
I live in the Western. I just ducked over
here after doing my final e-mail check of
the day...midnight isn't extreme.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page