What are my chances at UofM, UCLA, UC Berkley?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: What are my chances at UofM, UCLA, UC Berkley?
By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I'm thinking U of Michigan, UCLA, UC BERKLEY, and maybe some ivy league schools

Here are my stats:
gpa uw: 4.0 w:?
Just took SAT in Jan. and ACT in Feb.
tons and tons of e.c.
I'm Asian Indian
I think my major will be premed or biomedical engin.
Thanks for your help!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL THE PEOPLE APPLYING TO BERKELEY AND NOT KNOWING HOW TO SPELL ITS NAME?????????????? AND THOSE PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY RANKED 1 IN THEIR CLASS????? THIS IS JUST WRONG!!!!! GRADE INFLATION FOR STUPID PEOPLE OR WHAT??? HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL THE NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL CORRECTLY? misspelled it TWICE -- in the subject and the body! that's horrible

By Dori on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

um, i'm going to ignore quarky's comment for now...caps are hard to read anyway...

well first off, have you taken SATIIs? the UC's weigh them 2x as much as the SATI in the admissions process. what kind of e.c.s? do you have leadership in them? do you have any APs?

tell us more details and i'll be able to help you more.

By John Adams on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

A huge part of getting into the UC's is whether or not you are from California. With such good grades and rankings, I'd doubt if you had a really hard time getting into the UC's, especially UCLA. Which ivies are you applying to?

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I live in Michigan. I took AP US Hist in 10th grade and I'm in AP Bio. I'm strongly thinking about taking Writing, math IIC (i'm in honors precalc) and bio in June after the school year is over. In terms of Ecs v.president of Rotary Interact is my major EC. Others: NHS, SADD, Quiz Bowl, Science Olympiad,turtoring/mentoring, plus a few others.
I ran track and cross country for two years. In terms of Ivies, I am not sure, still undecided. My sincere apologies to Quarky. I am sorry about the typo. Thanks for your help.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Once again, my apologies to Quarky and others for my typo. when spelling 'Berkeley' wrong. I think I should add I am female, US citizen, and both my parents went to college.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

no biggie. i just like to complain [too much].

By Dori on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

hm...it'll really depend on your SATII scores. the UCs really favor instate students over out of state. they require the Writing, Math (either level) and a third of your choice.

i highly recommend you try to get leadership positions on your ECs, take some CC or more AP courses, and have a really strong essay.

sorry i can't really evaluate your chances very well with out SAT scores...

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Thanks Dori. I'm thinking bio SAT II b/c I will take the AP exam in May. Do you know roughly how many out of state kids they take? What about my chances at U of Michigan, because I live in Michigan? I took the ACT in Oct. and got a 26 comp. I retook it yesterday. I'm thinking about taking it twice more.

By Dori on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

you should try to get an ACT score over 30, and an SAT at LEAST 1400, if not higher. that's a great idea to take the SATII in bio, that exactly why i'm personally taking the SATII in writing and lit. that month.

i don't know anything about UofM, i know the UC's cuz i live less than 1/2 and hour from UCLA and the rep was at my school last week anyway.

just work on your test scores....and take a look at the college's websites

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Thanks again Dori. I'm planning on doing a lot of studying this summer.

By gretchen on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

I have a question: do the UC's really favor SAT II's over SAT I's even under their new "comprehensive review" of applications?? Thanks

By eyesand on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:37 am: Edit

JA
FYI
UCLA is harder than Berkeley
at least last two years.

By qwe on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

yes, the satII were made for the UCs.

and the UCs don't even read your essays unless it is a borderline case...

do you know how many apps they get per year? morons.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page