High School Level

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: High School Level
By murray on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Hi,

I'm a senior at a high school which I feel is a joke. We only have 5 AP classes (Bio., English, US Hist., Gov., and Calculus) when I graduate I will have taken all but Calculus. In addition to that our foreign language program for all languages is only two years, and our class ranking are not based upon course content. There are guys who have taken all easy classes with 4's who are ranked ahead of myself. Is it worth it to let the colleges I'm applyin to know this?

I applied at Georgetown, Harvard, Stanford

By meq on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Well usually your counselor would include some information like that when they send secondary school report.

My school is actually quite similar to yours in that we have few AP classes and unweighted ranks/gpas. We have a lot of people with high GPAs and that really screws over the rank of people who are taking all AP classes. If I get a single B, my rank drops to like 25.

Our school attaches information with the secondary school report that explains smoe of this stuff. You may want to ask your counselor if your school did. If they didn't, they may still be able to send a letter to the colleges you applied to.

By asdf on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Colleges are aware of the disadvantages to students who attend schools that don't weight GPA's. Your situation is far from unique. Don't send a special memo to colleges explaining your situation. It'll just seem like you're trying to make excuses for yourself. Be proud of what you have already done and trust that college admissions evaluators know what they're doing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page