SAT/ GPA Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: SAT/ GPA Question
By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

How much does a full 800/800 on the SAT compensate for an average GPA? Cause I'm taking the test in the fall and I think I can get a full score. But my GPA is only like a 3.6 unweighted. So I'm hoping for full 800's on the SAT's and SAT II's. Is that gonna make up for my average GPA?

Also, would colleges care to see that I improved drastically from freshman year? I had like a 3.4 UW freshman year(out of 4), then a 3.65 sophomore year, and then perhaps a 3.9 junior year. Would colleges see that as a big plus, to know I actually started taking school seriously?

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

A 3.6 GPA is not BAD. It is still an A average, well probably A- but good none the less...As long as you took the hardest courseload possible (ie honors, AP etc). Actually if you pull a 3.9 Junior you would have a 3.65 and if you pull another 3.9 Senior you could have like a 3.71 which is not too shabby my friend. Coupled with 1600's and multiple 800's I see you having no problem getting into some of the most selective schools, even having shots at HYPS as good as anyone else. Just keep getting those A's, take AP classes, and have some stellar EC's. If you do, you should have no problem in your Senior Year

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

bump...thought i would help you out...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

It really depends on the applicant pool that you are in. There are kids with a perfect 4000 or close to it, taking very difficult courses and a 4.0 unweighted average at difficult schools. On an academic basis, they come out better. But that is really only half of the picture. Much of the application process comes down as to whether you meet whatever needs or wants a college has that particular year. Athletics and URMs are just the visible tip of the iceberg of college specials that the adcoms are seeking that year.

I have seen a thread on cc where a mom says an outstanding candidate was rejected by several top schools including Stanford because of a lacklustre freshman year. In my experience I have seen kids get into schools including Stanford with a lousy freshman year record. I don't have my stuff with me here, but I thought Stanford and Princeton among other schools did not look at the freshman grades. The UCs do not look at freshman grades, I thought too. But is it possible that it could make a difference. Sure. If there are too many candidates for too few seats, the adcoms are looking for a reason to reject. Unless the app has something the colleges want, whether is a basoon player, more Hispanic students, someone to boost the art dpartment, they look to reject. What else can they do? So many very fine kids do not get into these schools where there are 10 apps for each spot.

By Starryqt22 (Starryqt22) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

I think a 1600 would more than compensate for an academically-challenging schedule. Even with those grades and a lower SAT, you would probably still get into one of the UC's. I have seen people with 3.4 GPA's and 1200 SAT's even get into Stanford.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

"I have seen a thread on cc where a mom says an outstanding candidate was rejected by several top schools including Stanford because of a lacklustre freshman year."

The mom was bitter. Those frosh grades weren't the reason why her kid was rejected.

BTW, Taching, my grades are like yours(so-so frosh year, then steadily improving), and my SAT scores will (hopefully) be like yours. You're a junior now also, right?

By Tinkerchelle (Tinkerchelle) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

My freshman year was like a 3.4 and my soph year was a 3.75, and my junior year is shaping out to be like 3.68...but I've always been in all honors and APs (five this year). I think that the upward trend in your grades would definitely be positive--i don't know how much. Also, the perfect 1600 would be a big plus...

By Invalidusername (Invalidusername) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

I was a 3.6 GPA, top 20%, 1600 URM with 4 800 SAT II's in all honors/AP classes. Here's how it turned out for me:

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=community_college_hopeful

By Jillsyl (Jillsyl) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

I don't think a high SAT score can compensate for average class loads and grades. Teacher recommedations ask for an assessment of the student's academic potential, and a lukewarm teacher rec can kill...plus it is vital that a person have in depth participation in extracurriculars as well...

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Yeah but I'm talking about people who take the hardest courses(honors or AP's) in their school and participate actively in sports or community service and whatnot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page