New Jersey resident's shot at Columbia...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: New Jersey resident's shot at Columbia...
By LB123 on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

SAT: 1490 V: 790 M: 700
SAT II: US History 800, Writing 740, Math IC 710
AP: US History 5

This year, I am taking 4 AP classes: Calc BC, Lit, European History, and Psychology.

GPA: 4.4 weighted

Essay and Recs: I feel I had a pretty unique essay and I had very good teacher recommendations.

I hit it off with the alumni that interviewed me; we talked for over 90 minutes and he flat out told me he was going to put in a very good word for me.

I have pretty good clubs: debate, vice president of a community service club; write for school newspaper; etc.

Attended 2002 American Legion NJ Boy's State.

Community service is good but a bit disjointed. My main focus for the past 5 or so years has been teaching basic US history to Russian-speaking immigrants to prepare them for citizenship exams. I do this every sunday, for 3-4 hours, about 40 weeks a year. I am fluent in Russian; my family moved here in the early 90s from the Ukraine.

I know these stats are not overwhelming but I have a good feeling about Columbia. Can anyone shed some light on what I can expect?

Note: I am not posting this because of hubris or anything like that. If anything, I am daunted by all the 1550+ SATs, all the APs, the abundant 800s on the SAT IIs, etc. I constantly see on the site.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

By Lb123 (Lb123) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Forgot to mention: my highschool is one of the better public schools in NJ; it is by no means among the top however.

Further info about classes: All my classes have either been honors or AP, with the exception of Physics 2.

And: White male

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Columbia (a very special place) seems like it would be a seriously great school for you. Be sure to carefully choose some other fine (non ivy) schools and a safety.

Consider finding out about and e-mailing a letter to to the chairman of the history department at Columbia--and don't forget to always cc: the admissions office.

It's obviously just my opinion, but if you apply to the REST of the Ivy League as well, Columbia might not look upon you quite so favorably. But it sounds like you're a senior and all your applications are out---so, don't worry, do what you feel comfortable with in terms of additional contact with Columbia, enjoy the rest of high school, and enjoy that fresh New Jersey air!

a former Garden State student...

By Lb123 (Lb123) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Thanks Morgantruce.

Yes, I am a senior. I also applied to Tufts, Brandeis, Rutgers, and Yale.

If I wanted to mail the chairman of the history department what should I say and inquire about? Should I just mention my interest in history and the humanities and why Columbia fits these interests?

By hmmmm on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

bump

By sinbushar on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

what high school do you go to? for curiosity's sake

By Lb123 (Lb123) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Morris Knolls Highschool in Morris County

By Helpful (Helpful) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I've heard that if you apply to more than one Ivy League school, you will only be accepted to one (assuming you are accepted at all). This is to maximize the number of students going to a college after being accepted there. Hope this information helps you.

By Really? on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

By yeah right on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

You can be accepted to more than one ivy. I'm sure that they will question whether you really like their school if you apply to 6 or more ivies, MIT, Stanford, Duke, G-town, etc. Somehow I doubt that the Ivy Admissions Officers are calling each other up to decide who gets who.

By a on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

NOT TRUE! IT does somewhat slightly decrease your chances at each of them, but it's still possible to be accepted at more than one- or even all. But DON'T apply to every single ivy. Each are very different. The typical Brown student is very different from the typical Princeton or Penn student. REAL people wouldn't be seriously interested in all ivies, because they are very different. For example, Brown has no required courses, is very liberal with pass fail, and is very open with the curriculum. Brown kids are often interested in top-rated liberal arts colleges (Amherst, Wesleyan), esp. those that don't have much in the way of requirements. The student body is very liberal and less sporty-country club- republican. This is one example of a distinctive ivy. Pton has more extensive requirements and strict major requirements, and also has a very sporty, more conservative student body. You see? They are very different, and it doesn't make sense to be interested in all of them.
I know of at least one person who got into more than one ivy. The brilliant (1510) URM in "The Gatekeepers" (a book about the higly selective Wesleyan's admissions policies)got into Harvard AND Yale (she chose Yale). So there!

By asdf on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

How does a college know which other colleges a student applies to? Is it on the FAFSA or are there other ways?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page