UPenn vs. Duke

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: UPenn vs. Duke
By JJE on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

I'm a high school junior and plan to apply ED.
Between these 2 schools which is better for getting into grad schools. Most people tell me Duke, but I am not sure. Which offers a better undergraduate education and life as well. Thanks

By Collegeboy on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:17 am: Edit

They are both very good schools. You have to visit and see which fits you better. Penn is beautiful urban campus in the middle of Philadelphia, and Duke is a very nice spread out campus in suburban North Carolina. Duke has a very spirited student body, mainly because of their basketball teams and socially things revolve around parties on campus and greek life. Penn has a good sports program for an ivy league as well, which students are involved in and support. Penn social life involved the city more, probably clubbing and bar scene. Penn is not located in the nicest part of Philadelphia (West Philly), and while the campus is very safe, the surrounding areas are not. Penn has the ivy league title, but Duke is also very highly respected, if not more. Penn is not known for having an outstanding undergraduate program, although it is still very good. Penn's graduate and professional schools are among the best in the nation in business and medicine. Duke also has many programs that are highly regarded. So, after all of that.. I would recommend going to whichever you feel you fit in better and like. Neither would be a bad choice.

By JJE on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Thanks collegeboy, appreciate the insight

By yourhelper on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:57 am: Edit

Duke- Party, Basketball, Great Academics & Reputation, BUT...It's location is not as good (Durham, Noth Carolina)....It is a wonderful school, but you need to take into consideration its location, and what your major is going to be....

UPenn- Regarded as the social ivy, Once again awesome academics..ranked 4th i think in overall undergrad academics(higher than duke, but not by much), Best urban location on the east coast arguably...Nice overall campus and atmosphere..a little cut-throat however

WHAT I THINK:

You've got a tough choice, but mostly (if tuition and location aren't MUCH of an issue) you need to think about your major. As was previously said, Upenn has great business ranked #1 ESPECIALLY WITH JOB RECRUITERS and an outstanding medical, but Duke is the better university for Medical Science...You should visit both and if you really don't like Penn, Duke also is ranked very high in business, but I think if you are really major specific- a good choice can be easily made...Hope this helps..

By JJE on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

I helps alot, I appreciate the insight. I'm into Science so I'll probably go to Duke. Thanks.

By yourhelper on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Which science because that makes a big difference? Medical?

By JJE on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I'm into Physics and Math

By your local mayor on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

Duke.

By JJE on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

bump

By natalia on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Have you visited them? If not, you definitely should - that'll give you a better idea of which one is better for you. I think both are great for sciences (I was considering both). Duke has the whole research triangle thing going on, but Penn's also really well regarded. I don't know much about their math/physics, but my biggest advice is spend the night at both. You really can't go wrong with either, so just go where you're the most comfortable. I have friends going to both schools next year, and it's just a matter of preference - the kind of place you want to live, the people, the social scene, etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page