PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME
By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

I posted this before, But I REALLY need some feedback or I'm probably gonna go insane from the anxiety!!!!!!
Do i have a chance? please evaluate, thank you !
Stats:
NYU CAS- RD-- major in foreign language studies
Taiwanese.
John P. Stevens HS, Edison, NJ.
Came to US sophomore year, so, only in US for two years. (they translated my transcript to all level two's which didn't help my GPA)
unweighted 3.81
weighted 4.47
rank- we don't rank (or so the counselors try to convince us... but i'm guessing maybe top 15% no more than 20% in a class of 560+)
TOEFL: 273/300
TWE: 5.5/6
Verbal 660
Math 670
total 1330 (duh)
Chinese: 800
Math IC: 690
Writing: 650
didn't apply to any financial aid
parents both went to college in taiwan
my family consists of taiwanese, japanese, causasians, and mainland chinese ppl... which motivated my love for foreign language studies

classes:
freshman: (in taiwan, so this is translated)
eng-2
math-2
science-2
history-2
chinese-2
art-2

soph-
algebra2-honors
eng-accel.
US His-accel.
biology-accel.
french1-accel.
art-2.

Junior-
precalc-Honors
Eng-accel.
US His- accel
chem-accel.
french9-honors
visual arts 1

senior-
eng AP
calc AP
gov AP
biology AP
visual arts 3
french 10 honors

art editor/ art chair for literary magazine: two years
art club VP one year
NHS member-tutoring one year
NAHS - member two years

volunteering:
assistant teacher of Edison chinese school, K-2nd grade... two years

specials:
valedictorian @ taiwan graduation 2000
columnist for tristate chinese newspaper
20+ awards in english/taiwanese/mandarin speech contests & art contests (1st place NJ)
1st place in national english examination (division of taiwan, year 2000)

essay title - hakuna matata
about how i adapted to US life, how i felt helpless at first but the "no worries, do your best, don't let past failures get in your way" motto of the song helped me fight my self-consciousness and how i can say now that I'm proud to be applying to NYU, and am confident that i will suceed no matter what path i choose.

teacher rec from french teacher, she wrote two whole pages and made me cry (literally) when i first read it myself.

any advice is good... thank you so much!!!

By Chill out on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

hun, i stumbled on this site via a friend. ur probably gonna fare better if you chill out. it's up to fate and God now if you're gonna get in. I had similar stats (with a cpl of publications) and got into NYU, Boston College, and Columbia, the latter of which I am currently attending. Relax. Live life. Take a chill pill. Hakuna matata. ;-)

By criminal! on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

you're legally not allowed to read your own reccommendations!

By ss on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Do you know Ivette Sosa (celebrity from Popstars) who lives in Edison, NJ?

By just curious on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

how did you go from french 1 to french 9?? And relax... you've definitely shown a passion for languages and that'll be a plus.

By chill out on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

actually you are - family acts right of 1974

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 01:38 am: Edit

THANKZ..... i know. i really need to chill.

just curious: I worked hard, that's how. the trick is to ALWAYS do your homework, or at least eveyrtime she checks, talk to the teacher alot in class in french, and stay after school if you have questions. even if you don't, just drop by on your way to locker and say "have a nice day". attempt new things like check out a french book from the library on your own. teachers love that, they think you take electives seriously. I got straight A+s that year. I did it cuz i loved it, and i guess it paid off.

ss: ivette went to bishop arr, the private school. I don't know her personally, but i have the cd and i think she's very cute and talented.

chill out/ criminal: uh... i really don't know. after i handed in my app, my teacher gave me a copy of what she wrote. the official one she handed to my couselor herself so i didn't see it.

once again, thank you guys! i'm gonna get some japanese green tea to relax ~~~

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Anyone else?
last time i posted, someone said that the difference btw my w/ uw GPA is unusually big. I really don't know how my school does the math...but are they good? How good of a shot do I have?

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah, GUYS:
i was wondering, you know how in CAS there's a dual degree program? I'm personally NOT applying to any programs, but the people who apply have REALLY competitive stats! does that decrease my chances in CAS? or do the admissions dean review us separately?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page