What's missing for Ivy League?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: What's missing for Ivy League?
By Pre1321 (Pre1321) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I'm a high school junior looking to go to an Ivy league school ( very interested in Brown, Princeton, and Cornell). I've got a decent resume I think but I feel like I'm missing that special something that's going to get me into any of those three schools.

SAT I- 1360 (this really needs to get worked on)
GPA- 3.8 unweighted 4.32 weighted
6/146

EC's
Varsity Cross Country (captain), Varsity Indoor Track, Varsity Outdoor track, I will hopefully be doing biotech research at William Paterson University, worked with austic children in programming speech device for them, National Honors Society, Spanish Honors Society, Gifted & Talented Program, yearbook, 3 year independent research on exercise physiology

Course Load
5 AP's (1 junior year, 4 senior year) max amount allowed at my school, all the rest honors classes.

To me, this seems like your everyday, semi-strong applicant who doesn't stand a chance at ivies. Besides scoring higher on my SATs which I'm really working hard on now, what kind of things can I do to make myself stand out and stand a chance at the schools I wish to attend. Any programs or things like that that look really good on an application?

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Visit campus, talk to an adcom, show intent, and get incredible recommendations. I got in at Cornell with a 1370 and a 4.0 and in Engineering no less. I'd also be interested in knowing your schools average ACT and SAT scores. If you are substantially higher in the SAT score, or you know, do a lot more than a normal student at your school, you have a better shot. Oh yeah, my SATII scores suck, all are below the 50th percentile I believe, as you will so plainly see, so dont be discouraged about your SAT score.

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=freak4korn72

By Pre1321 (Pre1321) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

*bump*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page