Off to a good start in Freshman year?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Off to a good start in Freshman year?
By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

It is my freshman year of high school and I want to know if I'm off to a good start. 3rd marking period just ended, but didn't get my report card yet. All top classes:
Honors Eng
Honors Bio
Honors Algerbra 2
Honors American Studies 1 (Advanced IQ course)
Latin 1
Gym
Marching Band
(most teachers like me)
Planning on taking SAT II Bio and I want to aim for at least 700

What I'm not sure of is extracurricular things though:

Marching/Concert Band (gonna aim for leadership here)
Dixie Band
Pit Orchestra (by audition and real broadway show music-tons of practicing required)
Bio teacher asked me to participate in Science Olympiad (not sure what that is yet)
Joined Reading Olympics at Beginning of Year (never got back to me)
Some Community Service (hours unknown)
All my yardwork (mowing lawn, fertilizer, putting rocks down, weeding, planting grass seed, etc. and frequently)
Related to a Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry (not sure if colleges take note of that)

Am I off to a good start?
Can I still take leadership next year if I just start something like Debate Team as a Sophomore?

By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, and on my PSSA (Pennsylvania System of School Assessment), I got 99th Percentile (I think it was a scaled score of 1648).

By Stargazrlilychk (Stargazrlilychk) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

don't think colleges care about yardwork :) hehe

By Thuff30 (Thuff30) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I'm a Freshman also and I have two things to say. Don't just do a bunch of ECs for your resume. You might want to wait until you take AP Bio before taking SAT II.

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

No, you're off to a horrible start. Your classes are mediocre, ECs induce vomiting, and just from your writing style I can tell that your essays will be complete tripe.

April fools...you're doing very well, you're very smart, and you know both of those things, so just keep staying as involved as you are and leave the rest up to the whims of the adcoms...isn't it a little early? and wtf is an Advanced IQ Course?

By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Really? I heard that colleges make a big deal over leadership and ECs. If I take AP Bio (dunno if it's gonna be bio, chem, or phys) and take the SAT II then and do better, will the better scores replace the old ones?

By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Yeah, the pressure can get to you easily, with all of the things you hear and read about college acceptance. Oh, and adv iq course is called humanities (130+), but most people applying to a good college probably have an IQ like that anyway. If I said humanities, you would've said "wtf is a humanities course."

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Colleges do, but what really wins them over is some kind of clear defined passion...like a girl I know, Hannah, is a ballet nut and was in THREE highly reviewed nutcracker performances this winter as Clara. You can't just pull passion like that out of a hat for college admissions. Your passion seems to be band, and if you plan on staying as involved as you are and getting leadership, then you are more or less set.
Yes, they will :)
...Oh, thanks. ^^; Sorry I sounded a little peeved, you know everyone who does is jealous...(so is the IQ just to make sure only smart people take it?)

By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

I really like band, but not exactly planning that as a proffesion, and I have passion for English and enthusiastic about bio, math, and latin. Is it good to be well rounded like this too?

By Waffle (Waffle) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

i'm jealous of the ppl whom I see on here who say they have 5 leadership positions, 3 awards, and taking 10 APs in all of high school. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? What kind of high school can do that (and mine's brand new!)? My high school offers one AP in sophomore year (American History), but no one in my grade is taking it, and I've got enough work this year. Oh, and it's for high IQ only, not meaning smart, there's plenty of underachievers in that class.

By Thuff30 (Thuff30) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Yes, you could take the SAT II Bio again but they might look down on it. Besides, why test yourself before you've had all the material possible in high school?

It seems that colleges do make a big deal over ECs but a lot here think if I do every club then I'll get into all the Ivies. I don't think colleges want you to spread yourself too thin or waste your childhood.

You might want to try Academic Team (known as It's Academic, Quiz Bowl, etc) rather than Debate. At my school, Debate consistents of smoking and sipping on cold coffee at Denny's.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page