Chances with a 3.85(uw)?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances with a 3.85(uw)?
By Matto311 (Matto311) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I'm a junior this year. Although I have a 3.88 now, I think I might get some B's this next semester, so I lowered the final to 3.85. I'm looking for my chances at: Princeton, U. of Rochester, U. of Wisconsin, Notre Dame, U. of Chicago, Columbia, NYU.

GPA:3.85(uw)
AP: (8 total)
AP tests: (taken at end of this year)
ACT/SAT: not taken (I know, I will take it twice this year and once and the beginning of Sr. yr.)

Here's the problem:
Junior transcript:
AP Econ - A
AP Hist - B...
Chem - B...
Ap Lang - B...
Algebra 2- B...
German - A
Band - A

I'm hoping they don't think I'm sluffing off (was a 4.0 before).

ECs
Diversity Club - served on a select commitee to talk with district leaders about diversity issues in our school. (I'm white though)

Musical - 3yrs, pit orchestra and supporting role
Play - 3yrs, with lead role
Showchoir combo - 3yrs
Jazz Band - 3yrs, section leader
Jazz Combo
Marching/Pep Band - 3yrs, section leader
Newspaper - contributor
Z Club - volunteer organization
Student of Month
Pi Sigma Sigma -gpa honor
NHS
Percussion Ensemble - leader, gave lessons to fellow students on playing techniques.
Pride Award - for outstanding service in school and community
Green Bay Honors Band

BIGGER AWARDS:
Hired to play in a professional musical by a local college

UWGB Jazz Fest - Led my own trio, took 1st place and named an oustanding soloist two years in a row.

Jazz Club - vice pres., give lectures and discussions on jazz music to students

Band - vice pres., and then Pres

UW-Eau Claire - named as part of an All-Star Jazz Ensemble (12 students chosen from a competition with hundreds)

State Honors Vocal Jazz Ensemble - chosen as the 2nd best drummer in the state.

Rolling Meadows Jazz Fest - while competing against over 60 other schools in suburban Chicago, I led the jazz trio that took first place.

Rolling Meadows Jazz Scholarship recipient - one of 6 chosen.

State Honors Jazz Ensemble - chosen as the best jazz guitarist in the state.

Northeast Wisconsin Arts Council Scholarship winner.

OTHER ACTIVITIES/INTERESTS
I play in my own professional group, the Jazz Savants, we have many gigs at clubs around the area. I play regularly with the jazz facluty from UW-GB, and have played at fundraisers, weddings, local concert series, pretty much everywhere.

I have performed in school ensembles as a percussionist, guitarist, pianist, and trumpet player.

I write my own poetry, and have sincere interests in art, music, and philosophy (I know this doesn't mean anything.

I play in a small group with my father and mother that volunteers at nursing homes and performs music.

.....I guess that's it. Sorry this was so long. Let me know if there's fluff I should get rid of.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

I'd need to know SAT/ACTs, but a rough guess with just the grades:

Wisconsin and Rochester should admit you.

NYU and Notre Dame are reaches (as for most), but applying early, a really good test score, or keeping top 10% will help you. I'd say you will prolly get into atleast one of those two.

Columbia and Princeton: you need really good test scores. and also take a lotto ticket.

Think about applying to Michigan too, it is a good public to compliment Wisconsin. Either way, you have all good, respectable schools.

By Matto311 (Matto311) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

OK...I was hoping that my EC's would make me stand out more.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page