You all doubted me - AND I GOT INTO WHARTON

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: You all doubted me - AND I GOT INTO WHARTON
By Tlo (Tlo) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

I got into Wharton... and Tufts, Emory, UMich, Red McCoombs, UCSD, UCSD, etc. Call me lucky but many of you said I wouldn't get into Wisconsin! Let's read some of the flattering posts on my chances:

To Tlo- I dont want to shatter your dreams, but realistically u have absolute no chance into any other those schools with the grades/Ec's you have. I think the fact that you are from MAine might be more appealing to the admissions people than your website or finacial stuff. So, pray that very very little from Maine will apply to those schools.

8 hours a month of community service is really not very much unless you've been doing it since you were born.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

sorry but personally i think you have like a minus five percent at any of your reaches with your stats right now.

even our 'matches' are pretty far fetched

especially since being asian will NOT help.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

I agree with Jamimom. You need to add some safeties and true matches. UCSB is NOT a safety for someone with your stats even if you lived in-state. That leaves you with only one possible safety. As Jamimom said, some of the schools on your match list are really reaches (for example, UCLA would be a reach even for someone with your stats who lived in-state and the UC admissions standards are much higher if you're out-of-state). I'd suggest you drop one or two from each of your reach and match lists and add two true safety or match schools. Best of luck!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I think you have a shot at NYU. You also have a shot at Madison and Michigan. Just bear in mind that public schools like Michigan, Wisc. and Berkeley are much more focused on pure numbers than EC's so they may not have as much pull as you think. Your EC's will help you the most at private schools like NYU. Don't forget that January is too late to submit new SATs and SAT II scores to the UC's. I can also guarantee you that you won't be the only person applying to Wharton and Harvard who have started and run their own businesses or manage stock portfolio's. Of course, they may not be from Maine.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

Congratulations....i have been shot down by CC before and you just gave me a bit hope. :) :) :) :) :)

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

hey...good job!!! congratulations!!!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

Good job! This shows that you have other qualities that were not apparent on the surface. Don't let it get to your head though.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Congratulations! I have wondered how you faired. You did a good job. I assume you'll be going to Wharton next year?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

it's cuz people on this board are stupid, they can't predict anything yet they feel they have such knack for determining which schools you'll get into. once i get all my decisions, im gonna do a stats and ec type post, and see how smart people are at predicting an international's acceptances and rejections. dont believe the crap on this board, that's why i never ever asked in any post whether i could get into such and such a school

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

what were your stats

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

...a gracious "winner"/acceptee. They were trying to judge you fairly, and happened to be wrong. Good job. But get over yourself.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

As I recall, his SATs were in the mid 1200's. I think it was WISE for people here to urge him to be cautious. But it's great he proved us wrong about some of the schools on his list.

By Sardonia (Sardonia) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

People gave you their honest opinions after you requested their input.

Stop the imbecilic narcissist rant; nobody on this board was out to get you or put you down.

I mean, good god

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Exactly! whats the big deal?? so you were an exception to a typical average candidate for these schools. Everyone knows harvard admits a decent number of kids with 1100s and 1200s. But do you expect everyone with 1200s to be told that they have a great shot at harvard?

TLO- Total loser

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Kid from my school got into Wharton with a 1330. My school is an underachieving (trust me, its bad) public high school...
Oh yea he's an URM, so yea it gives me less pressure because I know I have a chance If I dont reach that all elusive 1500 (Which I think I can)

By Toxicity01 (Toxicity01) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

The posters on college confidential thrive on the pain and misery of others. Thank you for putting them in their place.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Thanks, TLo, for giving all of us hope. Toxicity said it best.
--Dave

By Robert456 (Robert456) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I don't think that anyone was being overtly rude to you. In general, someone with an SAT in the 1200s really isn't going to get into Penn. Stop being an ass. I read the quotes that you have, and no one really "shot you down," but gave you an opinion. You are an exception to those schools, and are damn lucky to get in. Maybe you deserve it, but all Carolyn and other posters were doing was giving you their OPINIONS, which is what you asked for. Did you ask them to give you sugar-coated predictions for your future college aspirations? Sorry-but you are lucky, and you can stop gloating because I don't think that anyone was trying to be mean to you, they simply tried to make sure that you have some better safety schools. Maybe the fact that you are a minority or something got you in, but let's see how long you last there...good luck.
-Oh yeah, were any of those messages mean? I guess saying "good luck" and "I think you have a shot" is really shooting you down.

By Pasta (Pasta) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Um -- my son is going to Penn too. But it sounds like Tlo isn't the nicest guy he's going to run into....
Get over yourself.

By Yalechick (Yalechick) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:05 am: Edit

hey pasta
you are indeed one of the one of the worst parents I have heard speak.
Your supposed to be an adult.
Get over yourself and deal with the real world and dont act so self righteous.
Your son probably takes after his mom.
Tlo would be lucky not to meet him.

By Pasta (Pasta) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Wow. Ouch. Also hope he doesn't run into Yalechick...

By Greenapples016 (Greenapples016) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

Geez, Pasta (and all similar posts), Tlo just wants to share his happiness at being accepted at Wharton and show that numbers aren't everything in the admissions process. No need to bash him. BTW, congratulations Tlo and have a great time at Wharton (if you're going) next year!

By Pasta (Pasta) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

The nature and intent of Tlo's original post was to contend that he received unrealistic feedback regarding his stats. It is also apparent that he wished to gloat. He was not just sharing his "happiness" at being accepted.
I stand by my postings which relate that I believe he is "not the nicest guy..."

By Greenapples016 (Greenapples016) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

You have a point, Pasta, but you have to admit that it would be only natural to gloat after proving everyone else's predictions wrong, and I think Tlo should be congratulated for making admissions officers see something special about him that overlooked test scores, GPA, etc.

By Yalechick (Yalechick) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

pasta
there you go again
you really appear so high and mighty on your pedestal.
You are just one mean spirited old woman who lacks a life of her own that shes goes bashing students on these boards.
I have no respect for you at all.
You apparently have not yet grown up and your like some stuck up high school cheerleader who gets sadistic pleasure from putting other people down.
I am not going to be meeting your son cuz I will be enrolling at Yale this fall.
So Dont act so self righteous.
Get over it.

By Jaf (Jaf) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

It seems a little hypocritical on this board for anyone to criticize anyone else for gloating. That seems to be the name of the game here. I've been followng CC for the past few weeks, and, while I've seen a lot of good, helpful info being dished out, there has been a great deal of gloating from many sources. It's fine to be proud of your accomplishments or those of your children, but let others brag a little too!

By Skyhawk (Skyhawk) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Due to the increasingly negative tone of this thread, I am closing it. Please remember that CC expects posters to address each other politely. Moderator Skyhawk

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page