*tears....*begins to cry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: *tears....*begins to cry
By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Not feeling to good today....just got back my progress report and here goes....

Spanish B
AP Language B
Hrns. Chem A
Ind. AP Physics (C) P (i should have an A...but its independent study, so it becomes P/F)

AP Calculus A
AP European History B+

Does this progress report look ok....i've gotten 4.0's since freshman year except for the last trimester....so...this progress report is sorta a drop in GPA....still, just wondering if this progress report would look bad....see...i'm applying for an internship nearby and stuff...so...just want an opinion.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Edited. Another post like that and you'll be history here at College Confidential.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Greskel (Greskel) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

I second that.

No, I kid. But get out of self-pity and welcome to the real world.

By Alex614 (Alex614) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Hey dude, you probably don't know what real disappointment is... You should start crying for something real.

By Mariefrance (Mariefrance) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Today, hundreds of kids on this site were rejected to schools they have been dreaming of for years. Please show some tact.

By 43812336 (43812336) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

Today, thousands of kids are going to go hungry because of poverty. There's more to life than college.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

Ok...ok...i understand what you guys are saying. Its just that my parents are REALLY mad at me for getting these grades (i live in WA, btw...where GPA is NOT weighted)....sorta yelling at me saying that I've lost my touch with academics....that I'll probably never go to a good college now with these grades...that i'll never get the internship. I just wanted an opinion on whether this was true. Nonetheless, one thing I do throughouly understand is how fortunate I am......and i was not literally "crying"...its just a figure of speech.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Dude, calm down, just get better grades next time.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

nm...i was overreacting a little bit...lol...anyways...just completely disregard the post that I made above.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:53 am: Edit

The real people who should be crying are all on the Harvard and Yale boards.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

OMG!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL AT LIFE!!!!

By Shhh (Shhh) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

omg stop being so rude. some of us relly on grades for our happiness jeez. I say since they are AP classes, they wont look so bad. And since this is only a progress report, u can always bring the grade up.

your parents need to get slapped. argg

By Drownindreams (Drownindreams) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

If you rely on grades for happiness, you don't even know what happiness is.

Happiness for me is waking up every morning, realizing that I didn't die from anorexia in my junior year of high school.

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Shh, that was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. In my life.

"omg stop being so rude. some of us relly on grades for our happiness jeez."

There is so much more to life than...I don't even know where to begin. Wow.

Props to Drownindreams, btw, for pulling through.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

get over yourself.

If you need to see a REAL reason for tears, check out the Ivy League posts on April 1st regarding decisions.

By Bananasrock (Bananasrock) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

This is disheartening. Iím convinced Iím the only person on this board apathetic toward letter grades, and also the only person who didnít pay an exorbitant amount of money for a tutor so I could do well on the SATís. If you were less concerned about grades and more concerned about learning, you could not only save your parents a lot of money, but you could save yourself a lot of stress.

By Call_Me_Ishmael (Call_Me_Ishmael) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Don't play the college game!
Really, I'm serious. The reason the whole process is so f-ed up is this attitude of "i must do everything within my means to gain an edge." So here's my list of things not to do:
1. Ruin your life trying to ace classes you have no interest/ability in
2. Take the SAT's every other week while shelling out hundreds of $ for a tutor (remember, some colleges don't even ask for SAT's anymore, so if you bomb them it doesn't matter)
3. take a class, join a club, or do any other damn thing just because you think it will "look good" on your applications.

Really . . . the only reason why people think the whole college thing is so stressful, is because they do things to make it that way. If you can't get into a school on your own merit, it's probably not the right school for you.

By Blacksheep (Blacksheep) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Build a bridge and get over it.

By Osnapjew (Osnapjew) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

dude shut the •••• up that's like a 4.2w, i have a 4.0w, and would kill for a 4.2

this is the world's smallest violin playing for you

Bye, bye!

sheeprun
<moderator>

By Xforce (Xforce) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

if u rely on grades for happiness ur pathetic.

By Farrahday (Farrahday) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

yeah, you're also pathetic if you can't think of anything better to do than tell other people how they should live their lives

let the op stress his or her self out

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

im gonna sound optimistic but guyz, like Farrahday said, getting A's in every subject should not be the only way of happiness. there ae so many things you could do right now instead of stressing about your grades that you would regret not doing 10 years from now when you will be in at work all day. Im not saying dont care about your grades or SAT's but loosen up once in a while and have fun doing stuff YOU want to do, not what u thnk colleges will like. anyways, that is my 2 cents

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA This thread is hilarious.

Besides the people whining to other people they've never met and about things probably don't care about, this is my favorite:

"if u rely on grades for happiness ur pathetic."

"yeah, you're also pathetic if you can't think of anything better to do than tell other people how they should live their lives

let the op stress his or her self out"

Can you say hypocrite?

By Dawg43 (Dawg43) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Today, thousands of kids are going to go hungry because of poverty.

You mean hundreds of millions.

By Mellowmom (Mellowmom) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

For a minute there I thought I was on the PR discussion board. Wow you people are starting to get nasty. Thermodude, you still have time to get your grades back up before the end of the year. If you're doing your best don't worry!

By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Make your points without being insulting or you will need to find other boards on which to post.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By the way those grades aren't bad. Their almost Ivy league material. Keep up the good work!

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS

thanks, I needed a good laugh

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

hahaha....lal i have to say is...
its really sad that people do things, join clubs, take classes ONLY to get into college when all they really need to do is do what they want and simply be themselves

By Starchybean (Starchybean) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

*bump* :D

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

thermodude...

boo hoo, cry me a river, build yourself a bridge, and get over it

my goodness. It's only a progress report. It's not like colleges will see these grades anyway. Now you know what you have to improve in to get those A's on the semester grades. Plus, you probably earn those B's, so it wasn't anybody's fault but yours. So stop complaining and whining, and put some effort into it. Then your grades will reflect your effort. Plus, stop being so freaking grade conscious.

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

my third nine weeks grades:

Art I Talented A
AP Cal A
Honors Physics A
Chem A

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Wow...this is purely amazing.....i've never created a thread that has generated so much response before......and so much anger.....its just amazing that such passion has been garnered over the simplistic topic of grades. Anyways....I still want to point out that I was NOT crying...i just gave the thread that title so people would look at it (i guess it worked). I'd also like to add that I'm not worried about my progress report....it turns out there was a mistake on it....see...they printed my GPA as..

3.325...but really...2 A's a B+ and 2 B's should come out to be more like a 3.5.

One thing that does sorta SUCK is that since I live in Washington...if i get a 3.5 this semester...my class rank will drop to like number 40....since there's like 20 people in my school with 4.0 GPA's...and many of those take MUCH EASIER classes than I do.....sorta sucks....since I'm taking more AP's than anyone else in my grade...and my class rank still has to be like 30 or 40-something.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

Make SURE the description of your grading system points out that class rank is based on unweighted GPA!!!

By Tiffstardiva (Tiffstardiva) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:19 am: Edit

Good luck to you on your classes. I am sure you will do very well and get into a good college!

By Bluealien01 (Bluealien01) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Does the C next to Physics mean you have a C in the class?

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

hey not all of us ivy-hopefuls are crying... brown class of '08. i'm sure everybody knows i've posted on CC about it at least five times.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Xforce, not all of us can be the most beautiful. How dare you say that. We all have things that make us not want to kill ourselves...if grades is one of them, then so be it.

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

I'd like to try to add some positive energy to this thread. I spent my later high school years stressing about grades to an extent as well. I studied as much as I needed to to be where I wanted to be grade-wise. It is disappointing when you think you're doing hard work and the letter grade comes back bad. And it does still make me happy when I get a really good grade. But that's not the only thing that makes me happy, and I don't think that's what anyone else was talking about either. Yes, I'm obviously happier that my friends and family love me, etc. And yes, I'm more unhappy about the horrible state of the world than I am about a bad grade. And I think that's what other people were talking about too. They're just not trivializing other parts of their lives because of it. I worked hard and got into a great school that I love. The stressing and rejoicing were all just part of that journey. I wouldn't change any of what you're doing, Thermodude. You'll be glad you worried when you get into a good school... and you'll also be glad that you weren't actually crying, because that just doesn't help anything. It's easy to say mean things to people when you don't have to look at their eyes when you say it. Just remember that everyone does things differently, and there really isn't a right or wrong way... Chill out and have fun!

And Thermodude, it's nice that you realize that you can do something about grades because it IS just a progress report. Regardless, I'm sure you're worth more than your grades!

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Will this thread die, please?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page