|By ackhelpme on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit|
...because the wait is just killing me! *wink*
i think it'd allay my fears a bit if someone would take a stab at my chances pretty please? give your opinion on my chance for admission at Harvard/Yale/Brown/Georgetown SFS/Northwestern/JHU/USC/Berkeley/Rice
1530 SAT (780M, 750V), 790 Writing, 750 Bio, 720 Lit
GPA is sucky because i go to a really competitive math/science/tech magnet school...and i like humanities so it's a 4.12/3.6ish (second decile, ugh). but if you look at english/history grades, i'm all A's and honors...and I'm an AP Scholar. Full IB Diploma Candidate. I have nine classes this year: AP English, IB Physics, Math Analysis, IB IB Philosophy, IB Theory of Knowledge, IB Asian History, AP Govt, a period for my university internship, Journalism. crazy double-scheduling skills. i never sleep, and undereye concealer is my best friend.
prospective major: women's studies
- started my own reading program for terminally ill kids at a local hospital...i've organized everything myself from scratch! and got a grant for doing it. tons and tons of work.
- youth volunteer coordinator for an intl volunteer service group that fundraises for underprivileged schools in third world countries. recieved a national award from a humanitarian group for my work (only one kid per year gets the award, so it's very special).
- through a local public affairs group, i give major public speeches on the topic of women in Islam/women's roles in america. invited to a national youth conference to present my speech...I was the representative for California at this conference. i've gotten an outstanding female leadership award from this group, which is awarded to one girl per year.
- girl scout since 1993. earned my national gold award. tons of projects with the girl scouts, including helping build an orphanage in Mexico and working closely with Amnesty Intl. also, my local counsel started a counseling center for troubled girls, and they selected three peer counselors to help out.. i was one of them (and have been doing it for the past two yrs)
- brown belt in karate. gave that up to pursue boxing (yes, i'm a girl and i box)...and i'm not masculine.. i take belly dancing lessons too
- started our school's chapter of Model UN; president
- FBLA. i have lots of state/section awards in business law/business communications, and the natl silver key award. current chapter executive secretary, publicity director last year.
- VP of a club that recruits tutors for kids who can only speak spanish...i'm really into literacy stuff, so i'm also a tutor through our local library.
- editor on school paper, won JEA National Honorable Mention in an Editorial Write-Off.
- editor for speech/debate newsletter, varsity expository speaker
- speak five languages, learning a sixth
- intern at a nearby university in the political science dept on two projects: one on campaign finance reform and its effect on women, the other on school board recall elections
- started a newsletter in the community on important Islamic news...current editor
- teach Islamic history at a local mosque (once a week)
- recruiter for habitat for humanity and helped organize girl scouts to work on the H4H Women Build project last year
recs: good..my counselor wrote how i had an "inhuman mastery over time"...english teacher said I was the best writer she'd seen in over a decade..history teacher didn't say anything too special except that I was extremely rare because of my overwhelming commitment to social service. I got an extra rec from my girl scout leader...it said that "if a person existed who could preach mother theresa's ethics with the fervor of malcolm X, that person would be [me]"
essays: i've gotten awesome feedback on them. they're very, very personal. one on how i stayed in a women's shelter for two months in a third-world country as part of my work with Amnesty International this last summer. one on boxing and my consequent struggle with femininity (hehe, this one is for the guys. it's very detailed/descriptive in the fight scene)
umm.. i think that's pretty much it i know my EC's are pretty out there... to tell you the truth (and i told my interviewers this too)...I didn't really ever think about going to a prestigious university until junior year, I just kind of did my own thing. However, all the activities took a toll on my grades and as a result, i'm not too good in the math/science area, but really good in the english/history area. I'm hoping it won't hurt me too much b/c i applied in women's studies. any input is GREATLY appreciated... thank you so much!
|By e on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit|
you are such a loser...man, look at some state schools and get a schloarship
|By 0 on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit|
You got a chance, keep your hopes up.
There are a lot of people who think that if you don't get a 1600 you should go to a community college, just don't listen to them. Tell us if you get in, if you do i'm pretty sure it's because of your skill, so be proud.
|By majorscount on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit|
hm. your grades might hurt you, being in the second decile, but you're an URM (aren't you? if half) and you've got an interesting major, as well as distinguished extracurriculars. you seem like an interesting person, as well as pretty likeable. i think you've got an OK chance.
|By bumper on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit|
bumpity bumping as i say...i think you've got a shot
|By qwe on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit|
you are half-black, you are in.
not really based on your merits, of course.
|By Truth on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit|
Screw these people. Your extracurricular activities are outstanding. Colleges will want you for your abilities in English and history. They don't care about math and science-----because that's not what you plan to major in. You show your intelligence via SAT scores. Your extracurriculars are among the best I've heard/ seen and you will get in. Your race may help, but I think you would get into every college you mentioned even if you were white.
|By Isabella on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit|
I know what you mean; the wait is nervewrecking. How can I wait until April?!!?
|By stanford rulez on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:04 am: Edit|
Your stats r awesome! I saw them on the Princeton Review board as well....u r definitely gonna get in to those universities! I got into Stanford with much lesser stats. Where r u from?
|By asfg on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit|
U R IN. Stop stressing, start planning what ur gonna do with that six figure pay check!
|By danceforme on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit|
would u belly dance for me naked?!
|By ackhelpme on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit|
ha! i've actually got a boyfriend that likes to ask the same question, and i'll give you the same answer: buy me that cartier engagement ring, and i'm yours.
i'm from california, actually.
and i can't stop stressing. if y'all could give me a number percentage for each school, i'd love you insanely. and how much does it hurt me that i'm not in the top 10%? i think it hurts a lot, but i'm half URM and i've got EC's so maybe i've still got a snowball's chance. i'm just really worried.
isn't it bad to have high SATs and low GPA...don't they think you're a slacker? but then i think..hey, i've done a lot of work. they can't think i am slackalicious.
is the worrying killing anyone else? because seriously, i'm about ready to spontaneously combust
|By ?? on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit|
What did you check off on the application under race? African-American? Or did you put other and write in African-American/Caucasian?
|By ?? on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit|
Also, may I ask how many times you took the SAT, SAT IIs, etc? Does the 1530 represent your best composite?
|By ackhelpme on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit|
hmm. for yale, i sent in my part one twice (once online, and once with my entire application). the first time i wrote other and specified multiracial: half-black, half-pakistani. the second time on the yale app, i checked black and other (this was after the advice of a yale admission officer who said that it would make my race more clear). for the rest of the schools, i checked black and other, and specified pakistani under other. one of my letters of rec also document the struggle i've had with being biracial (specifically one incident...some girl told me i wasn't "black enough" to be in her clique) and how that's made me have more empathy/understanding for others and how it's made me more interested in feminism and religion (other important identifying aspects besides race).
i took the SAT three times, and i got a 1420 sophomore year, a 1480 my jr year, and a 1520 my senior year. the 1530 is a composite of my two highest scores (highest math from sr year, highest verbal from jr year). hope that helps.
any more input, guys?
|By stanford rulez on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit|
Why didn't u apply to Stanford as u r in California? I'm an Indian living in California, and my friend had the same problem. She is half Indian, half black. Well if u want percentages on your chances of getting through. Harvard, Yale = 40%, Brown = 50%, the rest = 80%, Berkeley = 100%.
What do u plan to major in?
|By Bulldawg (Bulldawg) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit|
I think you should give your half-blackness to some other students who really need it. Jeez, talk about being selfish.
|By ackhelpme on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit|
aww, i'm sorry. i didn't mean to hog all the racialness. *wink*
i want to major in women's studies.. i think i put that up there. and stanford...i didn't like the stanford vibe too much, actually, and i've heard that they give like NO financial aid, which i would like. i wasn't feeling stanford too much, so i didn't apply. my favorite school is yale/brown/gtown.
|By stanford rulez on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit|
kk...well ackhelpme, overall u know u have a great chance, so have fun at yale/brown/or gtown!
|By bumparoni on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit|
|By ackhelpme on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit|
bump...can i have some more input, please? just guesses on my chances?
Report an offensive message on this page E-mail this page to a friend
|Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.|
|Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only|