NYU chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: NYU chances
By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Do i have a chance? please evaluate, thank you !
Stats:
NYU CAS- RD-- major in foreign language studies
Taiwanese.
John P. Stevens HS, Edison, NJ.
Came to US sophomore year, so, only in US for two years. (they translated my transcript to all level two's which didn't help my GPA)
unweighted 3.81
weighted 4.47
rank- we don't rank (or so the counselors try to convince us... but i'm guessing maybe top 15% no more than 20% in a class of 560+)
TOEFL: 273/300
TWE: 5.5/6
Verbal 660
Math 670
total 1330 (duh)
Chinese: 800
Math IC: 690
Writing: 650
didn't apply to any financial aid
parents both went to college in taiwan
my family consists of taiwanese, japanese, causasians, and mainland chinese ppl... which motivated my love for foreign language studies

classes:
freshman: (in taiwan, so this is translated)
eng-2
math-2
science-2
history-2
chinese-2
art-2

soph-
algebra2-honors
eng-accel.
US His-accel.
biology-accel.
french1-accel.
art-2.

Junior-
precalc-Honors
Eng-accel.
US His- accel
chem-accel.
french9-honors
visual arts 1

senior-
eng AP
calc AP
gov AP
biology AP
visual arts 3
french 10 honors

art editor/ art chair for literary magazine: two years
art club VP one year
NHS member-tutoring one year
NAHS - member two years

volunteering:
assistant teacher of Edison chinese school, K-2nd grade... two years

specials:
valedictorian @ taiwan graduation 2000
columnist for tristate chinese newspaper
20+ awards in english/taiwanese/mandarin speech contests & art contests (1st place NJ)
1st place in national english examination (division of taiwan, year 2000)

essay title - hakuna matata
about how i adapted to US life, how i felt helpless at first but the "no worries, do your best, don't let past failures get in your way" motto of the song helped me fight my self-consciousness and how i can say now that I'm proud to be applying to NYU, and am confident that i will suceed no matter what path i choose.

teacher rec from french teacher, she wrote two whole pages and made me cry (literally) when i first read it myself.

any advice is good... thank you so much!!!

By Wolfster on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I think your course selection is/was great. Not too many ECs, though; NHS is easy to get in and the admissions committee might not take into consideration of the awards won in Taiwan too seriously (though instead maybe with some skepticism). Your essay sounds kind of a cliche; hope it wasn't subjective.
I have a question in terms of weighted GPA. How many extra bonus points do you get for each honors/accelerated/AP course you take? There seems to be a very great difference between uw and w gpa. My school only gives +0.5 for an AP course and 93 is considered a B.

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

well, i think it's one point bonus .... not really sure.
hmmm... i never thought about what you said (skepticism on the awards)... the application for ED that i had, i included a whole stack of copies of my awards... but then my counselor told me that it'd be a burden... so for RD i didn't do this. do you think i should? as for the essay, this IS the most significant thing that i've been through... so, cliche or not, it's the most personal topic i can write about and feel deeply about...ECs... I know. I also joined model UN, AOS, all that stuff... if i really wanted to "stack up" then i can come up with a HUGE list. however, when i wrote my app, i figured that i should only mention the ones that I've been seriously devoted in. these clubs that i listed are the ones that i'm an officer in/ devoted to, and I spend all my effort in them. i thought it'd be better than a laundry list ...wow... thanks for your advice! I'm starting to get scared though.... (nervous chuckle)

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Anyone else?

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

OMG.... I'm so nervous!
wolfster: thanks for your advice.
any other advice from anyone is appreciated =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page