AP chem

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: AP chem
By mofo on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

i am taking AP chem next year as a junior and haven't taken a regular chem. couse, what should i do to get ready for this course so i am not totally lost next year????

By Rivers on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

hmmm... ya haven't taken a regular chem course yet: take it from someone who's currently taking the dreaded AP CHem: Don't do a thing. There's nothing you can really do to prepare, until the teacher teaches ya right there and now. If ur really worried, review the basics such as how to find molecular weight, mole problems, etc. You can also buy the AP study Barron's book. That may help you a bit. But other than that, just wait til ya take the course.

By Chemwizard on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Check out http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/students/chemistry/cours002.html for the course outline. I'm taking it this year, in my class we have 2-3 quizes per week. And a chapter test every other week. Lots of homework, in class we work from the start to end of the period. Labs are fun & challenging! I didnt take a chem course before this, and did nothing to prepare. I had a 96% First Quarter, 97% 2nd. Pulled a 105 out of a poss 115 on the midterm.

Just study, do all your work, make sure you understand it, and you will do fine!

By anonymous on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Feel sorry for you, just hope you get a good chem teacher cause it's much harder than bio. If you study the Barron's AP Chem book you should fine for the AP exam in May. AP Bio was more vocabulary and excessive test. AP Chem'll have you memorizing bullsh*t formulas and chem formulas and the like.

By Chemwizard on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Took AP Bio as a Sophomore, hated that class more then anything! My teacher knew nothing about biology, she was an idiot and just told us to copy definitions from the book... When the AP exam came everyone who took it got like 2's and 3's....

By anonymous on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

lol...doing well on the AP exams really depend on the teacher. If your teacher was •••• then your probably gonna get less than a 4. You could still get 90s in the class if you do the work and study for tests by yourself though.

By ipassed on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I took the AP Chem and the exam last year without taking regular or honors chem the previous year. and the teacher, who's a Ph.D in chem from U of Wisconsin, was horrible...and his british accent made it a lot worse. only 17 people enrolled in that class. i didn't understand anything so i ignored the class and just spent 4 months reading the entire Princeton Review. I passed with a 4. so, i suggest that you invest some quality time on Princeton rather than depending on your teacher, unless you wanna score 5 or really wanna learn and understand chem. see, the review only teaches you what to expect on the test and how to solve them; the class is much more complicated. btw, i got an A 1st semester and a B 2nd semester. so, just study the review and you'll pass.

By ipassed on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

i should also mention that A LOT of the questions on the Princeton review i studied were so similar to the actual exam. but for some reason a lot of people i know tend to prefer Barron or something else. just a thought.

By shannonb on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

If you never took regular chem, I'd think about buying a book made for the NY State Chem Regents (Brief Review in Chemistry, Arco Review) to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

I second "ipassed"s recommendation. The test really doesn't follow the curriculum.

By gyrl on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

i agree with "ipassed." I was studying Baron like everyday, but i didn't really understand anything. I switched to Princeton a month ago and i'm understanding the topics a lot better than listening to my teacher. my teacher spends so much time on one topic that it's become so frustrating and boring. Princeton really just prepares you for the test. that's all; it doesn't teach you a whole lot about chem.

By Coles (Coles) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:08 am: Edit

I don't think that going straight to AP Chem would be a problem. In my class, most of the material is new. The things I would be sure to look over are stoichiometry and thermodynamics, other than that if you are an intelligent person, you should do fine. I am taking AP Physics next year and I haven't taken physics, does anyone think that will pose a problem?

By anonymous on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Yeah, at least in my school it is. They make you take regular pyshics before you take AP. Doesn't your school have a policy against going straight into AP?

By Burberry (Burberry) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

i never took a real chem course either prior to taking AP Chem-- and i'm fine. just pay attention, do your homework... the material is all the same whether you learn it once or twice anyway
it's not like math where you can't just jump into AP Calc without taking any algebra first... the calculations in ap chemistry do not go above an Algebra II level, and the rest of the content can be learned like any other regular course.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page