Chances at Ivys and some others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at Ivys and some others
By Trombonist (Trombonist) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

I'm applying to Vassar, Berkeley, Stanford, Duke, and probably Yale, Harvard and Princeton just to find out. My stats are the following:
GPA: 3.94, 4.0 if you exclude freshman year, which the UCs do. My school doesn't weigh :( and so my class ranking isn't all that great (I got beat by the kids who were teacher assistants and took leisure sports, but got all A's, and probably aren't even looking into very hard colleges) But I'm in the top 5% of a class of 750. It's a small town school in the pacific northwest

I've take all honors and AP's offered

SAT: Math-780 Verbal-720

National Merit Semifinalist

I'm very involved in music- I play the trombone in the top classical and jazz bands in our school, I received "most outstanding musician" for freshman year. I'm in the pep and marching band, 3-year letter, I've been in a few community theater musicals, received awards at jazz competitions for solos

Sports- Skiing, placed in one skii race within my ski school, track and field 3-year letter (will be a 4-year at the end of this year), I've placed in league and district champs. 2 years of soccer on a local league, 2 year on the school's varsity- we made it to state, got 2nd

Clubs
Environmental Club-Prez
Key Club-Prez
NSAA-Prez
Hi-Q team-Vice
Science Club-Treasurer

Other activities
150+ hours random community service
100+ at local elementary school-
I have been involved in a school program that is similar to "big brother/sister", and I volunteer at my "kid's" elementary school

I'm a volunteer at a local park, where I patrol the trails, I have over a couple hundred hours there (It's not really work though, I just carry around a first aid kit and maps while I ride my bike or hike on the trails, and help out anybody who needs it)

I've held a job at a local nursery for a couple years

What are my chances, and is there anywhere else I should apply? Also, is there anything else I should be doing?

By Trombonist (Trombonist) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

bump

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

You definitely need a safety or 2 in there (Vassar shouldn't count) and make a couple more matches.

It's hard to tell without your SAT II scores and average ECs (in comparison to other ivy league apps).

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit

What you have in stats puts you in the pool of people that will be given actual consideration for admission at the schools you list. What does that mean? It means you have about 1 in 10 chance of being admitted to those you list and somewhat better for Vassar and Berkeley. For just about everybody who is a top-notch candidate that is their odds. Note, even if you score 800 across the board on SAT II's your odds will remain close to the same although they could decrease substantially with bad SAT II scores. Just read through some of the posts about admissions and rejections at top schools in the last week on this board. Many with higher stats than you got rejected. Some with lower got admitted. Ultimately, what those schools are doing is making a subjective decision that, for every 10 candidates, they like one person as compared to the other 9 when on paper all 10 look very close to the same. In other words, make sure you have some safeties added to your list.

By Trombonist (Trombonist) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Yeah, I've got some safeties, the schools I listed were only the ones I wasn't sure about

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page