Anyone waiting for Wellesley Early Evaluation Letters?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Anyone waiting for Wellesley Early Evaluation Letters?
By waiting on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

I am.

I don't think I'm gonna get a Likely. I'll probably get a Possibly. (which means I'm basically screwed anyways, because only 25% of Possibilies get in during April). I really hope I don't get an Unlikely. Because that's just cruel.

I hate waiting. I hate rejections. Why won't they just take me?

Sorry about the whining/rant/notes of desperation seeping through.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Gentle LOL. You're allowed. Whining, ranting, and notes of desperation and all.

Nothing useful to say "hang in there."

Usually when people say "Things are so much worse today," they're full of it. College applications is one thing where "they" are right.

Good luck.

Out of curiosity, what are your back-ups to Wellesley?

By AnotherDad on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Dear TheDad,

This is AnotherDad. I salute a kindred spirit. I have also tried to dampen cases of panic/depression/mania etc. that have appeared in these postings. You have good thoughts -- keep up the good work.
AnotherDad
PS -- Your thoughts on the truth-in-applications suggestion in the "How many applicants at the Ivies?" posting?

By MisanthropI Lover on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

good luck! i'm waiting for wellesley too, but for some reason i couldn't apply for EE. it's one of my top choices...best luck again! hope we can meet there this fall

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

AnotherDad, I haven't noticed that thread about the Ivies...where is it? And thanks for the kind words.

By AnotherDad on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

TheDad,

It is in the same group, now down about 20 places. "How Many Ivy Applicants this year?"

AnotherDad

PS -- Tried to get my daughter to apply to W, but no luck. Barnard and Vassar instead. Good luck to yours.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

AnotherDad, I found it and replied yesterday,
I think.

What did your daughter think about Barnard?
We're looking at Barnard and Smith, along with
HYC. I suspect our visit will knock Mount Holyoke
off the list, even as a safety...how's that
for pre-forming expectations?

By AnotherDad on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

She has greater affection for Columbia, where she also applied. Barnard gives her full access to Columbia and it also has a very good chemistry program, which may be my daughter's major. My view is that it is really Columbia, and with the exciting urban atmosphere, what is there not to like. (okay -- the money!)

By Burberry (Burberry) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

i appreciate seeing dads on this board. (moms annoy me... ie, MITmom)... it shows that they care and are aware of their kids' surroundings. i wish my parents knew/cared that much about what i did...
maybe i would have done better in school... then again, nothing can cure laziness, not even a good dad.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

AnotherDad, wry about the money. I'll need to have a couple of VERY good years while daughter is in college...my income is wildly variable.

My daughter probably prefers Columbia at the moment for the prestige because access to classes is equal.

Columbia is really the only Ivy with direct access (via Barnard) to high-end ballet classes. She doesn't want to major in Dance--more likely Government--but doesn't want to give up something she's been doing for more than 10 years and absolutely loves.

I grew up on horror stories about NYC--and live in the L.A. area, LOL!--but we're all looking forward very much to seeing what it's about.

Burberry, that's very poigniant. I can't speak for Another, but I'm here because of a bargain I have with my daughter: she keeps up with her school work and EC's, she writes the e-mails and letters to the colleges, I do the research and gather information for her to consider. I found this place originally due to a question about National Merit and found that there's a lot of good stuff buried amidst all the anxiety and angst.

I'll try not to judge your self-judgment, but laziness is often a case of not having found something one is passionate about. My daughter was passionate about ballet as early as 5 years old and learned several lessons that transferred to academics: focus and discipline are necessary, you gotta do the boring stuff before you can do the more interesting stuff, perseverance will sometimes win out over mere talent in the long run, etc.

Contrary to all the threads on this board, you're still incredibly young. You still have lots of time to find a passion or three that will charge you up...so in your own lazy way, start searching, trying new experiences and leaving yourself open.

Good luck.

By AnotherDad on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

Burburry,

I am a statistician, so my reponses on this site often have statistical information. The evidence is that the vast majority of kids are undecided, and have not yet found their passion (as noted by TheDad). Something like 80% of college kids change their major, and nationally only 34 % graduate in four years because they are busy changing their mind. Place emphasis on focus and discipline for a while and establish a place and time where you know that you will only do schoolwork every day. You still have lots of time to develop strengths and passions and you will be surprised how quickly you can build a good foundation for later work. A day will come when you realize that you actually understand, as opposed to completing assignments. A good education will result, and this does not have to be at an Ivy -- there are literally hundreds of schools that can provide a good education that can challenge every skill you have. Hey, I know that the application process is rough on the kids (and the parents), but you will survive. Keep plugging away and best luck to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page