How important is discipline?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: How important is discipline?
By Sandimacuban (Sandimacuban) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

in my freshman year i recieved 11 detentions (which can be given out for minor infractions like being late to class, chewing gum, or forgetting homework), in my sophomore year i recieved 15+ and was put on discipline contract, which is a sort of probation for kids with over 12 detentions in one year. I was recently released from discipline contract, and in my junior year thus far i have only recieved 5 detentions. i have 1 or 2 demerits (unsure) which are more severe than detentions and go on your permanent record. i have never been suspended, and was recently released from discipline contract.

will this have a significant impact on my odds of getting into college? im looking at schools like Carnegie Mellon, Villanova, and Emory. exactly how much does discipline factor into the admissions process?

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

wtf is wrong with you?

By Greskel (Greskel) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

You're mean, Freudboy.

No worries, sandimacuban. I've had 232 more detentions than you and a suspension. :) Whatever the case is, you're better off than me.

Well, if you have great stats (which lately have been confusing me since admissions have been a bit random), and stay clean from now on, you just might make it.(Does anybody else have a "demerit" system? I've never heard of it. :()

And.. does a permanent record exist?! I've never seen mine.

By Astrobobocop (Astrobobocop) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Do you enjoy doing your homework in detention? I've never heard of anyone on this board have a similar dilemna. I would suggest not getting as many, especially those ones that go on your permanent record. If you don't want to shape up, learn how to not to get caught! But seriously, it may have a detrimental impact on your college application. I mean, if you're an Adcom and you have to pick between two equally weighted applications, and one has stuff on his permanent record and the other does not, who would you pick?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

How the crap do you get more than 200 detentions?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

It depends. If a lot of students at your school get detention, then it probably won't be a big deal. On the other hand, the most successful college students are often the ones who go to class every day (despite the fact that no one cares if you skip) and are diligent students.

I think that your best chances would be not with just letting the detentions sit on your record, but with actively addressing them. Explain what they are for (chewing gum, being late, etc), and explain the demerits. Then, most importantly, point out that you are certainly improving. Many colleges will look favourably upon an applicant who has matured and now realizes the importance of going to class regularly, etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page