Cooper Union

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Cooper Union
By Rachael on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

How good is Cooper Union? Is it worth applying for?

If you applied, please post stats and whether you got in or not!

Thanks!

By b on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

bump

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

hmmm...
I heard that some people who got accepted to MIT go to Cooper Union instead... I'm not sure how good the school is.. But, I heard that they have a really good and prestigious engineering program.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Free, but you have to pay your own room/board...and that can be expensive in manhattan...plus if you decide you don't want to do engineering/architecture...you're screwed...

By . on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

By ffffffffffffffffff on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

i applied for engineering. it's one of the top few engineering schools that don't offer phds
if you're interested in one of the programs they offer, you might as well apply
the engineering school has a much higher acceptance rate (~30%?) than the art or architecure schools which bring the overall acceptance rate down to around 12%
room and board is expensive there but the twenty-something thousand in tuition that you don't have pay definitely makes up for it
i think the only downside is that they don't really have a campus, but it is right in the city so that's good (for some)
the application is kind of weird. for eng., they mostly look at your numbers, but they also send you this paper asking you to answer about 15 questions, some of which you have to go into some depth on. but it doesn't take that long

its definitely worth it

By AnotherDad on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

If atmosphere matters, it is in a congested but groovy part of NYC. It sits just above Greenwich Village, borders the NYU Campus, and sits across from the K-Mart and 4 Starbucks visible from a single spot! Even if the room and board are expensive, it is an atmosphere that many people seek and might never be able to afford except in student housing.

By Rachael on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

how is the art program there? im am getting more and more serious about applying there...

alos- what kind of questions are on the hometest?

By Tim (Tim) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Yeah, it is in possibly the best part (punk/hippy/artist/weird) of New York. I've actually been right across the street from several times but didn't know Cooper Union was there.

There's this gigantic black cube on the sidewalk outside the school, and it is mounted on a corner so that you can go up to it and rotate it if you are strong or have a few friends.

There's also this store called "Religious Sex" that's like Hot Topic but not so sellout and commercialized.

And all sorts of other stuff.

Application deadline for Part I is past, though, and I don't know that they'd accept anything late. Here's a quick overview of the Part II questions - career objectives, why your major?, current courses, scholarly special interest, favorite subject, least favorite subject, academic awards, extracurriculars, community service, offices held, favorite job, projects accomplished outside classroom, describe a close friend, a book you have thought about, and what trivialities do you permit yourself to enjoy.

Tim

By Rachael on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

thanks tim, im only a sophmore, so im not too worried about the deadline just yet!

By . on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

bump

By . on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

bump

By Rachael on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

cmon people!

By AYLJ85 on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

HI! I applied early decision to Cooper Union this year for the engineering program. I GOT IN!!
Just so you have an idea, here were my numbers (and im pretty sure they fall into the average range):
SAT I:
Math 740 Verbal 660
SAT II:
Math IIC 760 Chemistry 770 Writing 750
so i've done a crazy amount of research on the school, and it's one of the best. so if you have the numbers, go for it!! and my parents were so happy because it's free!

By AYLJ85 on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

HI! I applied early decision to Cooper Union this year for the engineering program. I GOT IN!!
Just so you have an idea, here were my numbers (and im pretty sure they fall into the average range):
SAT I:
Math 740 Verbal 660
SAT II:
Math IIC 760 Chemistry 770 Writing 750
so i've done a crazy amount of research on the school, and it's one of the best. so if you have the numbers, go for it!! and my parents were so happy because it's free!

By hfh on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

the art school is really selective. i think they admit about 5 or 6% of applicants.

they look mostly at your work, then at grades and scores

By Rachael on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

good job, AYLJ85!

By artist on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Ok, the people that ask "how is Cooper Union for art?" obviously don't know anything about CU!! I go to a very selective Arts High School, and ALL of the students want to go there. Why? Because it is only the BEST damn art school there is in this country! That is why it is sooo selective.

By Tim (Tim) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Does anyone know the acceptance rates for Engineering? I've heard you have more change with Engineering than with Arts.

Tim

By Rachael on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

artist- sorry to trample on forbidden ground, i didnt know much about the school- you gotta start somewhere!

tim-i think its around 15%-ish. not too sure though

By aylj85 on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Tim-- the acceptance rate for engineering is close to 30%!!

By Rachael on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

oh, haha...shows you how much i know about it, im still learning though

By Julia S on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Hey everyone-

My name's Julia and I also got into Cooper this year for Engineering :):) (EArly decision). My SATs were like, 1300, math SAT2: 680 Physics: 680 Writing: 700 and I had a 3-yr research course where i did my own research on lightning.. well i wont go into it but i was an Intel Sci Talent Search Semifinalist, and recently placed 3rd in the JSHS Sci regional competition - i think that all helped. My GPA in HS was/is like.. 98 or so, and i am 15/470 in my class. Currently i take 4 AP classes and i took one last year too. I didnt really think i'd get in lol. I was also born in Poland, and am a female going into engineering...? Anyone else who is cooper union class of 2007 contact me! :) AIM: SprnklsChem

By Rachael on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

damn, good job!

By Louise on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:28 am: Edit

Hehe, I'll just copy and paste from the other thread...

Hey everyone, I'll be in Cooper Union School of Art class of 2007. Right now I'm particularly worried about the details of moving in - like safety, packing, roommates, the core curriculum, freshman workload, and any other problems I haven't heard about yet. Johnny, or Fracturedcow, or whoever is currently attending/has attended/knows someone there please help me!

If you have any questions about applying to the School of Art... I think the application deadline for the regular decisions is over. But for people who are applying for Fall 2004 - the hometest is really important. "The guy" at Cooper told me over the phone to "pour your heart and soul" into the hometest. Of course, the slide portfolio is really important too. Have drawings that show your skills and creativity, or both. The optional sketchbook helps a lot. Be creative with the personal essays and even the envelope you send the materials in. In any case, put in every ounce of your effort into the application process - Cooper's standards are incredibly demanding.

Please email me at soliue@yahoo.com if you need help, or can help me, or are also entering Cooper this fall.

Here's my website: http://www.againstthetides.net

Oh yeah, if you're applying to the School of Art and worrying about SAT scores, here's mine:
SAT Math: 630
SAT Verbal: 640
So don't worry.

By Snlbeth (Snlbeth) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

wow congrats on gettin in to the art school, i applied this year and still havent heard. I'm praying i get in. Otherwise I'll go to Pratt. I went to your site and looked at your work, pretty amazing. If i had anything on the internet i'd show you. Anyway, im kind of nervous now bc im not sure my sketchbook was that quality and i definately didnt do anything creative to the envelope i sent my stuff in.

By Josz (Josz) on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

sup all....i don't know if people still use this...lol...well i GOT INTO COOPER UNION!!!! for the school of art class 2007... i am hoping to see anyone soon,,....
if u want to send me an e-mail just to say hello , talk about soccer, or anything regardless how stupid it may sound ...hehe....... this is my e-mail (alianz18@aol.com)
or if u have aol aim and want to talk.......(asiamundiaL02 or alianz18)

By Mgnolia316 (Mgnolia316) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

hey all i got into the art school at cooper union, class of 2007! wooo! im really excited, and lets start talking online, so here my sn MGnolia316 feel free to IM me, i want to meet everyone. im beyond happy that i got into the school, i also applied adn got into RISD, MICA, Mass Art, and SAIC (school of the art institute of chicago) but cooper is my number one choice and i am deff. going there!

By Mgnolia316 (Mgnolia316) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

cooper is a fabulous school and is ranked number one hardest school to get into, followed by harvard and princeton... so i mean the chances arent too high wiht a 4% acceptance rate, but give it a try. i had SAT scores totalling 1180, but i still got into the school with the help of other things like attending saturday and summer programs at cooper, really great reccomendation letters, and i guss a great portfolio... and i think the home test is the most important thing. a word of advice, when you get the home test, read beyond the question...

By Fearofsleep (Fearofsleep) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

To add on to the leaking sink of messages about who and what were accepted to Cooper Union, I also was accepted to the art department at Cooper for the class of 2007. My sn is fearofsleep and my email is Bounds15@hotmail.com . Hope to see everyone there

By Ken285 (Ken285) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

hey everybody. i know this is kinda late and everything...i dunno if anybody checks this place anymore, but i got accepted to the school of engineering as well. AIM s/n is bklyn285 (yes, i'm from Brooklyn) and email is bklynken285@yahoo.com . for those of you in the engineering school attending the computer programming class in 2 weeks, i'll see you there. everybody else, i'll see ya at orientation.

--Kenny

By Robincw (Robincw) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

Hey my names Robin, I am also going to Cooper Union for art, it would be cool to get in touch with anyone else going, write me an email - robin.c.willis@verizon.net

By Yourmother (Yourmother) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

probably no one is looking at this anymore, but i'm wondering if there are classes besides art. i'm interested in cooper union, but i don't know if i'd be able to strictly study art, is there any variety in courses? or can you take classes at another school in NYC or something?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page