Odds at mostly EAstern Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Odds at mostly EAstern Schools
By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Stats:Junior, Catholic School in Oklahoma
ACT(1st time):29 (35 in English)
GPA Weighted(5 for honors/AP): 3.55
Upward Trend from 3.25 Freshman year to a 4.25 last quarter.
Class not ranked.
Diagnosed with learning disablility but probably cannot get extra time. Not really gotten any accomodations and have overcome or in the process of overcoming any obstacles that provides.
Had grade and testing affecting health problems.
Taken all honors/AP curriculum where offered except for in math. Taking AP Spanish and US, might take government test.

Also, served as an officer in several clubs, including Key Club President as a sophomore member of many others. Worked in politics on national level. Essays are a strong suit.
Played JV tennis and am MVP on 4th in state 4A Academic Bowl team.
I helped facilitate a regional conference on urban renewal for youth.
I was also Treasurer (Junior year) and Vice President(Sophomore year) of the school's politics club and Freshman Student Council Representative.
I have a Degree of Excellence from the national forensic league even though I only have debated part-time. I've qualified for Regional Competition in three events.
Also I am on the mayor's youth council and was a Precinct chairman at 14 for a congressional campaign in which we went from 3% to winning it after facing the sitting governor's non-controversial wife in the primary and a popular newscaster in the general.
Schools:
Georgetown
College of W&M
Williams
Trinity Coll
W& Lee
Emory
Pros Maj.: PoliSci/Econ
Also could y'all give me other suggestions of schools (& maybe odds)please? Thankya.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Make that a 3.58, as if that makes any difference.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Make that a 3.58, as if that makes any difference.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Sorry about that double message^

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Hi, Thekev
I'm not familiar with schools that are known for your intended majors, but from what I have seen for Williams and W&Lee your GPA would not help you a great deal. Trinity would be a good school to apply to - I don't know anything about the others on your list.

Have you discussed getting additional time on your tests with your GC? I am really not sure of the best way of approaching the LD issue - would it help or hurt. I don't know. You might want to repost this on the Parent's forum. I would think that overcoming adversity would be positive - but darned if I know what an adcom would think.

In any case, keep the upward trend going. You might also want to spring for the USNWR online college guide - it lets you search on an criteria such as major and selectivity very easily. If you can get ahold of it, post here again and I will run my copy for you. I would need to know geographic preferences.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Thanks Ohio Mom,
I don't think I can get additional time because I've heard the necessary testing is very expensive and I have also been told by my school counselors that because I got a 29 it will be especially hard to get extra-time.

If you could run USNWR online I would be buku grateful. As far as geo. prefs go, anything but the northern plains, or northwest is cool with me.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Ok, I ran USNWR for your majors and tennis at the more competitive rating (you've found most competitive on your own!) for the Northeast, and selected midwest, and southern states. I edited down the list to schools I have heard of in a positive manner somewhere - friends, family, work, this board...

Allegheny College PA
Baldwin-Wallace College OH
Centre College KY
Clemson University SC
College of Wooster OH
Connecticut College CT
Denison University OH
Dickinson College PA
Drew University NJ
Drexel University PA
Elizabethtown College PA
Elon University NC
Fordham University NY
Furman University SC
George Washington University DC
Georgetown College KY
Gettysburg College PA
Goucher College MD
Hiram College OH
Hobart and William Smith Colleges NY
John Carroll University OH
Kenyon College OH
Lehigh University PA
Marietta College OH
Mary Washington College VA
Muhlenberg College PA
North Carolina State University--Raleigh NC
Otterbein College OH
Quinnipiac University CT
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute NY
Rochester Institute of Technology NY
Rutgers--New Brunswick NJ
Rutgers--Newark NJ
Skidmore College NY
St. Lawrence University NY
SUNY--Binghamton NY
SUNY--Stony Brook NY
Susquehanna University PA
Transylvania University KY
Union College NY
University of Connecticut CT
University of Dallas TX
University of Dayton OH
University of Delaware DE
University of Georgia GA
University of Kentucky KY
University of Maryland--Baltimore County MD
University of North Carolina--Asheville NC University of Scranton PA
University of South Carolina--Columbia SC
University of Texas--Austin TX
University of Texas--Dallas TX
Ursinus College PA
Washington and Jefferson College PA
Wheaton College MA
Xavier University OH

Anyway, its a starting point. (Remember, I do not know the quality of your departments themselves.) You could also do a 'likefind' on the PR site from a likely college. There are actually lots more colleges out there - in other states, those that don't offer tennis as a varsity sport, etc. Good luck in your search - and hope that you have a fast connection.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

THank you so much you have no idea how much that list helped me. If anyone else has some odds for me I'd be grateful. Thanks again!

By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

Oh in % form too would be helpful.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Anyone else got some odds fo me??

By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Add Boy's State and more than 100 hrs. of documented vol. work.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page