Nasa Sharp Finalist should be notified by now

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Nasa Sharp Finalist should be notified by now
By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Hey

I applied to nasa sharp this year and just on Saturday I was called for to be told I ama finalist for nasa sharp. I also had a phone interview with the guy. He told me he was impressed with my responses and my application. The interview was great, about 15 min. long .

Hope I got in . Really hope for Edwards Dryden Flight research base.

Since they probably only called 600 people out of the 2000 that applied, it shows that people that got called have great chances. 400 people will get in

Any one else get called ???
ANy one withany more info??

Thanks

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Darn. S has heard nothing. :(

Oh, well, perhaps ESP or YESS will accept him.

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Chances of getting accepted are only about 17% so it is very difficult. Many people that have got into top 25 schools do not get accepted. Sure hope I get in.

Maybe your son has just not been called yet.

Good luck.

I feel the thing that really helped me and hopefully will help me get in is,

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Fighterpilot,
What kind of person called you? A person who ran one of the centers? A scientist?
What kind of questions did the person ask?
Did you apply to any other similar programs?
And what do you feel helped you get this far in the application process?

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

What type of person?- A male that worked with MTSI, the company that is incharge of NASA Sharp.
He was very intergetic, knowledgeable, and was professional during the interview.

The questions were basic-
1.I can see you are doing a whole bunch and a lota stuff, how do you manage it all.
2. If picked where would you want to stay?
3. College then after college
4. He had to do some spill, about if you are selected then you will have to be gone fo 8 weeks and no family can visit you at all.
5. He asked some other things but I can not or would rather not comment on right now.

No, I did not apply to anyother programs.
I really want to do this program, but if I am not selected, I will continue to work and take a class at the JC and at my high school during the summer and get ready to be a senior.

The big question....."What do you feel helped me get this far in the application process?"

Well I do not want to give it away just yet. I am pulling a NEO. I feel something that i know or done is going to help me but I will not say unitl April 15th.

I will give you a clue. Some girl on this website gave me told me to do something to stand out. The girl is on this website and her name starts with a B_ _ _ _ _ . She has gone through the program. The post that the info is on is on the site and is only a few months old.

It is something that everyone could have put without lying, but most do not even think of it.

Oh and int the post my name was not fighterpilot it was f-22 or airforce. I think airforce.

I would tell you more questions that the guy asked but i forgot them. I had to call at 6AM today to reach him. Im in Cali and he is in MAryland. So i was pretty tired.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

I remember the post by the girl, and also corresponded with her by e-mail. She was very helpful.

What I fear may keep my son from NASA Sharp is that he's only a soph. I wouldn't be surprised if NASA SHARP figured that they could overlook a soph because he could do the program later. There are only a few slots compared to the large numbers of probably highly qualified people who applied, so NASA may decide to give first pick to the older students. Oh, well.

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Bump attack.....bump da bump bump ...major bumpage... bu^a_a-mp ...one last time..... budaaa, budaaaa, budaaaa, bump!

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

That is true. But if he was that qualified being a soph or junior would not matter.

Now if there where two kids
with everything the same
then the older one would get it.

Good Luck and apply next year.

I wish i knew about the program when i was a soph so i could of applied.

I really hope i get in.

The guy also told me,, I will find out in 1-2 weeks. So thats earlier than APril 15th and with finding out the decision a little early.

Any one else have info or got the call or applied?????

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

i know other people here applied

any one else get a call!?!!??!!!

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

bump

By Brianso (Brianso) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

i went to NASA SHARP under the commuter program at AMES research center last year. if you have any questions about the whole process just put it up in this thread and ill gladly answer them.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Yeah, I got an interview too, but mine didn't go as well as yours. He asked different questions however, (like "how do you describe yourself", "what do you think you will learn the most") I still hope I got in :)

By Valpal (Valpal) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

My D was a finalist last year and was interviewed in person. It took forever for them to make a decision last year---long past the posted deadline. She was given lots of positive feedback, so it was somewhat surprising that she didn't make the final cut, especially in light of the fact that no less than 5 black students from her school were admitted in the previous year, only a couple of whom had anything near her grades and stats. But we were told that funding had been drastically cut from the that which was alotted to the program in prior years. The competition was quite a bit more stiff, as a result. Also, last year was the first year in which a private company was tapped to administrate the application process. I also was told that the focus of the program was changing. It favors minority applicants less strongly than in years past.

By the way, Northstarmom: Good Luck to your Son!
They'd be lucky to have him.

By Solario144 (Solario144) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Brianso, i am a junior. could you help me out to understand why I did not get a call. what exactly are they looking for? what was your stat if you don't mind asking. Could you e-mail me milan1998@aol.com? Do they take seniors?

By Nouseforaname (Nouseforaname) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Hey,
I was just reading some of these posts about people who have already been notified as a finalist and have already gone through an interview. April 15th is two days away and I have been as anxious as ever to hear something from NASA SHARP. Have they already notified their finalist and are they just waiting until the last minute to tell me I've been cut? If anyone else is in the same position please let me know and congratulations to those who have already been notified.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Valpal,
Did your D find another program to go to? Any suggestions about other good programs for URMs?

By Magician (Magician) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

does anyone kno of any sophomores that went to Nasa sharp,
what other similar selective programs are there that sophomores can apply for
Also wat quallities are the people from NASA sharp luk for

By Nouseforaname (Nouseforaname) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

While we're on the topic of other programs (I think we're anxious to hear from NASA SHARP), are there any other programs for high schoolers similar to NASA SHARP? This website has a large list of science and engineering programs for high schoolers. If any one knows of any other programs or links, please post them. Thanks!

By Letmein2004 (Letmein2004) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

Fighter Pilot wrote on 3/29/04:
"The big question....."What do you feel helped me get this far in the application process?"
Well I do not want to give it away just yet. I am pulling a NEO. I feel something that i know or done is going to help me but I will not say unitl April 15th.
I will give you a clue. Some girl on this website gave me told me to do something to stand out. The girl is on this website and her name starts with a B_ _ _ _ _ . She has gone through the program. The post that the info is on is on the site and is only a few months old."

Now that it is past April 15, could you please post or write what are those? Also what was the "girl on this web site" told you or post in this thread? Could you please write to me at milan1988@ aol.com or post them here? Thanks.

By Fighterpilot (Fighterpilot) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

SORRY about being late, been bussy working 30 hours a week.

the girl was blondie, she told me on a board to just show them(nasa sharp) that you will greatly beefit from participating in the program.

so what i did was in my essay and interview,

- showed what major i wnat to do then what i want to become latter in life
- tell them that this program will allow me to see what really happend and will allow me to open my view and sight of everything
- also, since i dont have any place around my town that i can go to work or just view the life of people that are air force pilots and astronauts the program will help me because i would be able to see what some of them do when the are not on a mission or not flying.

post more questions if you have any.

By Safire090 (Safire090) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

hey...whoever got into the NasA Sharp Program at the California center..or any other center..can you please tell me what the starting dates are for that center..any center besides Univeristy of wisconsin is helpfull..
Thanks alot
Aditi

By Safire090 (Safire090) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

hey...whoever got into the NasA Sharp Program at the California center..or any other center..can you please tell me what the starting dates are for that center..any center besides Univeristy of wisconsin is helpfull..
Thanks alot
Aditi

By Safire090 (Safire090) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Thanks alot
Aditi

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page