Where Can I Go With GPA 2.5 ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Where Can I Go With GPA 2.5 ?
By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:31 am: Edit

where in America can i go?
with GPA 2.5,

SAT 400 V, 700 M,

AP Bio: 5
AP Calc: 5

EC. Sports teams (9~12)
service activities

blah~

By Hsc2008 (Hsc2008) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

community college

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

You have very respectable scores in math and science. Why the low verbal? Are you a US resident?

You will need to package yourself carefully, but you definitely have more options than community college. What field do you wish to study? And, what kind of college appeals to you?

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

community college? honestly, probably a public state university. To me, it seems that you didn't try hard enough because to receives 5s on your test. But as I say, I don't pre judge.

By Chen (Chen) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

You'd have to have studied to get 5s. I agree about the state colleges. You could try the top of the second tier.

By Haruko (Haruko) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

A second or third tier school, which isn't bad. Community college is if you don't think you're serious enough for the real thing/don't have enough money.

By Macadamiamin (Macadamiamin) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Aim higher. Top of the second tier schools - don't limit youself to community colleges/state schools.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Community college may be the best thing.... I know the whole preconception everybody has about 2 year colleges but you may come to find out it was the best move... Atleast is was for me. I had about a 2.96 and although I was limited to and got into a couple of state schools (fourth tier) and University of Hartford, I don't think that I was academically ready. Now, Im close to a 4.0 and I can apply to almost ANY school I want! Good luck, I still say community college, especially if you want to graduate from a tier 1 school. It is easier to transfer.

By Mocksimus (Mocksimus) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Yodisistim,
Exactly In high school I had a 1.9 oh yea! 601 outta 605 students HEHE. I had fun and partied and didnt care. I also went to a 2 year cc and now have a 3.76 transfer and with that you can get into basically every UC including cal and ucla. I think cc is a rgeat choice id rather do 2 years and go tier1 then go straight to some garbage school

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit

so you mean cc is much easier to get high GPA?? But i hate cc.....

i actually got,
2.8 and 2.9 in sophomore year and
3.0 and 3.4 in junior year

BUT

I got 1.96 and 2.19 in freshman year sux..

so damn freshman year GPA pulled down my average GPA, however it shows improvements, no decline so will some state univ or UC will consider this?

btw i got

satII bio: 700
satII writing: 670
satII math IIC : 770

ill be happy if i get into one of UCs...

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

also, im wondering if there's any decent 4 yrs universities that do not look at your freshman year grade.. only look at sophomore, junior and senior years

By Beany1505 (Beany1505) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:45 pm: Edit

hey umich ann arbor takes 9th grade scores outa their lil admissions thing for overall gpa..

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Mwamwa,
The UC's do not include your Freshman grades when they recompute your GPA. If you've taken some honors/AP classes, your UC GPA may actually be higher than you think. You can get the details about how the UC's compute GPA at www.ucop.edu/pathways

That said, your verbal SAT score is going to be a drag for the UC's and many schools - I'd suggest you try to retake it and boost your score to at least the mid-500's or 600's. Or, you might consider a shot at the ACT.

There are many schools besides cc's where you might get a look. Can you tell me more about what you want in a school - do you prefer large, small, medium sized, geographic preference, what are you interested in studying, etc?

By Elmo168 (Elmo168) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

nowhere.

haha jk.

By Elzbieta777 (Elzbieta777) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

if you're looking just in Cali, try LaSierra, Chapman, Concordia, or Loyola Marymount

By M4ttjabz (M4ttjabz) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

are there any other state schools that do not use the freshman year to calculate GPA?

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

If you want to spend a bit of cash, pick up Loren Pope's "Looking Beyond The Ivy League" at your local bookstore, or one of his other books.

If you want some free advice which is just as good--ask Carolyn. :)

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

Thanks, Carolyn..

Im going for engineering for major,

My relatives live in pennsylvania,,

what is my chance of getting into PennState??

I heard, they mostly look at your GPA..

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

\You're going to have a very, very difficult time getting into Penn state with your stats - average accepted student stats last year for Penn State:
41% ranked in top 10% of their high school class, 78% in top 25%, 96% in top half; average mid-range sats: verbal 560-630, math: 560-670; average GPA: 3.5. Overall acceptance rate: 57% of 27,605 applicants.

Let's consider some other possibilities. Your best options are (1) consider the community college route for two years (2) find a less selective school where you can either major in engineering or do a 3-2 program with a good engineering school.

Here's some suggestions:
If you live in California, consider Cal poly Pomona. Also in California, you might take a look at the University of the Pacific.

In other parts of the country, take a look at the following schools:
Gonzaga in Washington, Seattle University in Washington, U of Portland (Oregon), Oregon State,
Drexel (PA).

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Here are a few more suggestions.

Hartwick College in New York - has a pre-engineering major. This is a very good school that is sometimes willing to take a chance on students with lower GPAs.

Goucher college in Maryland - if you're male, this school will look at you very closely. Good school, has engineering 3-2 program.

University of Evansville - Indiana - has engineering program, sometimes will overlook lower GPA for higher SATs, looking for geographic diversity.

Saint Louis University - nice, mid-sized school,very good engineering program, does take some students with lower GPA.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

And another: Linfield College in Oregon, good small school, has 3-2 program with Oregon State in Engineering. Linfield accepts up to 80% of applicants.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

And a few more suggestions:
Oregon Institute of TEchnology
Widener University (PA)
Westminster C (Utah)
Colorado State
Gannon College (PA)
U of Hartford
U of Idaho
Butler University in Indiana

Some of these will be reaches, some matches but all have decent engineering programs.

By Mominva (Mominva) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

As a starting point, take a look at the ABET site, the accrediting group for engineering schools, for schools with engineering majors. The schools and programs are listed but not ranked. If you are positive about engineering you can find a suitable program and not need to do a 3-2.
Definitly play up your very favorable improvement trend. See if you can find an essay on perserverance or improvement in your experiences.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

Wait,,,Carolyn

i heard Penn State univ has different kinds
like delaware, university park, wiles-barre etc..
and they are in different level,,

is that right?!?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Yes, this is true. There are other campuses of Pennsylvania State and they tend to be less selective than the main campus at University Park. If you go to www.psu.edu you should be able to find out about the other campuses.

By Bukakkekid (Bukakkekid) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Bukakkekid - If you do not have something positive to contribute, please refrain from contributing at all. Additional posts like this - even if in jest - will quickly get you banned. Thank you, Moderator Skyhawk

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

werd

By Culovv (Culovv) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

damn kids and their bukakke...

By Dawg43 (Dawg43) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Carolyn is right on the money. You have two choices: go to a CC and try again in one or two years or go to a less selective school now. Depends on how you feel, but allow me to tell you my story.

When I graduated from high school in 2000 here were my stats:

SAT VERBAL: 480
SAT MATH: 650
GPA: 2.6
ETHNICITY: African-American
SOCIO-ECONOMIC BACKGROUND: Inner-city, below $35,000
SCHOOL TYPE: Prestigious catholic school (on average, out of about 300 seniors 100-120 students go on to Ivy's & top 25s)
ECs: All-state athlete, participant in several service organizations (Amnesty Int'l types)

My math background and athletic talents opened a lot of doors for me. I say all but perhaps the top 1% of schools in the nation would have granted me an athletic scholarship or allowed me to walk-on. I ended up turning down full-scholarship offers to lesser athletic programs, and walked-on to a school ranked among the top 50 academic institutions in the country with a high-profile athletic team that is perennially in the top 25.

As fate would have it, a family tragedy forced me to quit school and come home before I could even finish my first year. I enrolled in the local 2-year college, became really active in the community, worked clerical jobs, and founded a dot-com for some extra change. Also, I became enamored with politics and my interest in sports began to dissipate.

So basically when I was reviewed in 2004 my profile now included a leadership role in a national political organization, participation in several local community projects, the founding of a web-based company, a 3.9 college GPA (that damn professor wouldn't give me an extension on my final paper), and a 1390 SAT (it's amazing how well you can do on that test when you spend just a little time studying).

I've already been accepted to my #3 choice (an Ivy), but neither of the two schools I'd really like to attend (Yale and Stanford) allow mid-term transfers and I plan to spend the fall semester working on defeating the miserable failure that is George W. Bush. (...where's that increase in the Pell Grant you promised in 2000 Mr. President? We have enough money to cut the top tax bracket, but not increase aid to the poorest of American families who dare attempt to send their kids to college? And why are you and the Republican leadership attempting to cut funding for subsidized Stafford loans?)

So my advice is go to the CC, take challenging classes (Calculus not Algebra; Abnormal Psychology not Art), make some extra change by doing some do-gooders stuff (AmeriCore or tutor at the local community center) and try again in 1 or 2 years.

If you want to attempt to transfer after your freshman year, I would recommend that you get started immediately after you graduate from high school. Take a couple of classes in the summer, and another 4 or 5 during the fall so you'll have at least 6 or 7 courses and more than one semester for the admissions boards to evaluate.

Re-defeat Bush!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Dawg,
Thanks for sharing your story - it's a great one!
You obviously have a lot of determination, even in the face of problems, and that will take you far in life. Best of luck to you!

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Mwamwa, if you want penn state, go to a satellite campus and then transfer to University Park in 2 years, your degree says "Penn state" It looks the same as someone who was accepted to Main Campus.

the list of sattelite campuses are here
http://www.psu.edu/ur/cmpcoll.html

The average SAT at most of these schools is in the 1000-1050 range and all accept around 75%-80% of those who apply. I think you have a good shot

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

yo, i think he could make harvard

By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:58 am: Edit

Mwamwa, i think u should keep working hard towards ur academics because u have a lot of hope.my older brother had a friend with a low accumulative GPA, about 2.8-9, though it was many due to slacking off the first two and a half yrs of high school, but he was reaaally smart in math and sciences and got into MIT.that school doesnt pre judge u,they genuinely want SMART people.u seem naturally talented in the math/sciences, given ur 5s,so good luck~

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Dawg is the Mack! Good going!

You sound so much like me!

I'm in comm coll myself, fretting about an old 3.0 in HS, trying to erase it with a 4.0 now. I know how you feel.

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

sorry, with a 2.5 penn state is an uphill battle (actually, a vertical battle). now i dont have great stats myself, but you perhaps spending less time on the board and more time working on verbal would help. now if youre not lying about your math and bio scores, you should apply that same dedication to the humanities. hth

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

sorry, with a 2.5 penn state is an uphill battle (actually, a vertical battle). now i dont have great stats myself, but you perhaps spending less time on the board and more time working on verbal would help. now if youre not lying about your math and bio scores, you should apply that same dedication to the humanities. hth

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

jesus...
I applied to Cornell with a 2.9

By 1243 (1243) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

In STATE schools!!!! So easy to get in in STATE U with that GPA !!

By Shhh (Shhh) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

why is your gpa so low and your test scores so high?

and what happened with verbal?

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Cal States don't consider freshman year, either. Also, Cal State Channel Islands is new so they're probably taking people who are Cal State eligible (which means less than required at more competetive Cal States), and Cal State Monterey Bay (gorgeous location) is only a couple of years old and same thing, they're taking Cal State Eligible people. Don't discount those schools. It's a good system and CSUMB has a full housing set-up. Check out their website. It's beautiful.

By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

yeah i know a few people who applied to Cornell with low GPA's but had reasons to justify them (eg.family issues,personal problems,severe illness), and got in.this is what my school's guidance told me but colleges don't dwell on ur past-theyre much much more interested on where u are now.if u have major improvements in GPA for ur last two yrs the college thinks,we want this person bc he/she will continue improving.

By Bruceray (Bruceray) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

You show improvement year to year which is in your favor. There are plenty of really good public engineering schools out there. Do some research. Top drawer private would be a reach though. Look at schools in the vein as Georgia Tech. Texas Tech, Virginia Tech etc, all public schools with very strong engineering depts.

By Kepler797 (Kepler797) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:16 am: Edit

st. josephs in philadelphia will take you, i don't go there but i know its awesome academically because its a jesuit school, and its in a great college city. plus they give out tons of money in grants and scholarships.

By Themabrklyn (Themabrklyn) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

Ummm..you got 3.4 in Junior year with 5s on the APs? And with those SAT II scores? Try applying to a low Tier 1 school. I bet you'll be accepted.

By Mwamwa (Mwamwa) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

one quick question....

why is it easy to transfer with good grades from

CC to good college than from normal college to

good college??????????

or is it not true?!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page