How many Ivy applicants this year?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: How many Ivy applicants this year?
By AnotherDad on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Does anyone know whether the pool of regular decision applicants for the ivies and near-ivies are up, down, unchanged this year? Is the competition any less frightful this year? Information on applications at individual schools (Brown, Columbia) would also be interesting.

By Yale applicant on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

I know that Yale's applications is at an all-time high this year. That sucks for us RDs b/c they've already accepted about 40% of the class through ED.

By AnotherDad on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Bummer. How did you get your information? Is it a source for other schools?

By The Dad on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Eh. The HYPSM schools are always virtually choosing 40-50 percent of their classes ED.

Imnsvho, it's more unnecessary pressure on a young person to make a choice both early and right. EA I think is fine; ED is a grinder.

The numbers get brutal on RD. Not only are there
way more applicants for the remaining spots but even that's not a true picture when you factor out the athletic applicants, legacies, and (if you're not one) good URM applicants.

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

As a student here, I know that Dartmouth has already filled 1/3 of our Class of 2007 with early applicants. We've also got an all-time high of applicants overall.

By jfromdablock on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

waht are all these abbrreviations? URM?

thx

By asdf on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

URM = Under-Represented Minority

By la on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

is a half-black or half-hispanic person considered URM

By MightyGood on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

Harvard had over 20,000 apps (Early + RD) and Yale had over 17,000. I think Yale had a bigger percentage increase and they also have a smaller class to fill, so you decide which is easier...

By AnotherDad on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

I had wondered whether the weak economy and the increased chance of visa problems for foreign applicants had had much of an effect. Apparently not. Any word on Brown and Columbia? Near Ivies?

With all the EDs, legacies, athletes, and other special cases, there is a real case for a "truth-in-applications" statement. How honest is it to take $60 from each of thousands of kids who must be rejected and at best have a 10% chance or less?

By Lucky (Lucky) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

AnotherDad,

I understand what you mean about the "truth-in-applications" idea but although most have less than a 20% chance, what would you want the Ivies and other high-profile schools to do? Refund the money of the kids that don't have a chance? Once the First-Class stamp is on the envelope with the check inside, it's as good as gone. It's the risk they take.

Furthermore, because of variations in individual students and their respective backgrounds, those that have low SATs or grades often make up for it in different areas. Thus these "non-traditional" students should continue taking the chance on applying if only to diversify the application pool. Everyone has a niche, it just depends on what College X is looking for this year.

Hope this helped,
Lucky

By jfromdablock on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

hypsm? whats that? pls help.

thx,
jenni

By nyguy on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

harvard
yale
princeton
stanford
MIT

By AnotherDad on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Lucky,

It is one thing to say your chances are 1 in 6. It could be very different if you say that the regular admissions odds are half that because of all the places taken. If you announce the actual lower weighted probability of a winning bet, a lot of applicants would very rationally save several hundred bucks spent on Ivies and send applications to some of the really good, but less "prestigious" schools.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Another Dad, I guess I feel that it's up to you to evaluate the odds and then pays your money and take your chances...or not.

There are a lot of people on these boards who are supremely confident about whether various applications profiles constitute a "you're in" or "rejection...think about community college." From my anecdotal inputs and from my reading, I think it's a far quirkier process for most of the students.
Let's assume that 15 percent or so are so truly outstanding that they knock the Admissions committee's socks off. Let's say another 20-25 percent of the apps are from students who obviously are not going to be able to cut it.

That big broad group left in the middle is going to contribute a substantial--not a majority, but substantial--portion of the Ivy class. My take is that they're going to be looking past the raw numbers to get an idea of what kind of person you are and what you will add to the campus community: sure, it might be great if you're a Baroque violinist who's also a chess master...but, whups, we took one of those last year...let's take the
poet who's hobby is bee-keeping instead.

And it seems to be about just that flip.

The kids who are swimming the most upstream are those without a passion that stands out and whose EC's are just like every other high-achieving Striver's EC's. Imo.

By AnotherDad on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

TheDad, you would probably enjoy looking at http://tcci.naviance.com/fc/colleges/print-scattergram.php. It shows the acceptance experience of every student at Churchill HS in Montgomery Country Md. It is a high powered HS with many applications to selective schools. For the Ivies, it shows the quirkiness you speak of -- after a certain point, there is little correlation between higher SATs and GPAs and acceptance. At their level, the cheerleader with Sanskrit may be what they are after. Interestingly enough, for other schools (other than the top 20 or so), you can see clear demarcations that show that a candidate with such a SAT and such a GPA is virtually guaranteed admission. It is a powerful site to check out. Either reassuring or very scary depending on the kid's accomplishments and school selection.

By Ivy Acceptee on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

If you're looking for good statistics on the IVY ED apps and freshman class fill rates for the current year, check this out. http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/01/23/3e2fc9685123f?in_archive=1, Apps were way up for ED at most Ivy's and acceptance rates for ED were down. I'd be interested in the RD app statistics. Anyone know where this might have been published?

By AnotherDad on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Thank you very much. Exactly the thing I was looking for. I did not realize the ED slice was that large. If you see anything in the way of further updates, please post them here.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

AnotherDad & IvyAcceptee, thank you very much for those links. AD, the whole ED thing I find daunting in that applying ED dramatically increases your odds of acceptance...but at such a horrible price. You've got to pick one college and put your chips on that...what you think and feel can change radically in just a few months. I don't know--and I expect the colleges would deny it--but it seems that ED also sets you up to be for not-as-competitive financial aid offers if that's important to you...why should they go out on a limb if they know they've got you?

By AnotherDad on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:44 pm: Edit

The article cited by Ivy Acceptee (Congrats!!) is interesting. ED applications are very strong. I wonder if that actually could put a dent in the number of regular admission applicants because all those ED's have happily already found their Ivy?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page