Chances at Ivies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at Ivies
By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Hi,
Im a Junior at an IB school, considering applying to a bunch of Ivy League Schools (Dartmouth, Yale and Penn), also to Stanford, Pomona, Wash. U. and Duke.

SAT (1st time) 1340
SAT (2nd time) 1450
Taking SATII's (Span., IIC and Writing) this May.

Courses @ School: (This is typically considered one of the hardest selection of courses, I think the only thing harder would be Chem HL instead of Econ.)

Physics HL
Econ HL
Math HL
English SL
Spanish A2 SL
Comp. Science SL
Journalism - This is what I devote a lot of time to. I am currently an editor for the News section and am running for Editor in Chief senior year.

EC's: (My greatest passion is running, which I do year round)

Cross Country:
Second Team All-Star Sophmore Year
Third Team All-Star Junior Year
MVP Junior Year
198th @ Footlocker East Coast Championships

Track and Field:
MVP Sophmore Year- Set school record in 800m, 1600m and 4x400m. Still waiting to see what happens this year.

Play on a rec. league basketball team (3 hours a week) in the winter + run indoor track (~5 hours a week)

I participate in a county-sponsored Swim Team in the summer (2 hours a day) and Coach our neighborhood's Developmental Team (ages 5-8, ~ 4 hours a week).

I'm planning to do ~120 hours of service this summer with Habitat (or something similar) and hopefully I will get into an Experimental Econ. course at GMU.

I'm an Hispanic-American (my Dad is American, alum of UC-Berkeley, Mom is Argentine, she never went to college.)

If there is anything else that should be included, plz tell me.

Thank you!

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, forgot to say that our school is bilingual immersion also, so I have been taking Spanish since nursery (12 years) plus I lived in Costa Rica for 2 years, so im hoping to get fairly high Spanish SATII scores.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Wow, i just realized I forgot my GPA. Sorry about that.

All I know is that as of last term it was 6.72 (W) out of a possible 7.

This probably doesnt seem impressive to most of you, but it in the top 3 of our class, (not sure exactly because school doesnt rank.) Its an extremely rare occasion that someone gets a perfect 7.0 due to the nature of the IB program. (i.e. French teachers will never give out a 7 because "perfection" is by definition not achievable at the high school level in french culture.)

By Haruko (Haruko) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

What's your UW GPA? What's your other passion other than running?

By Jordana (Jordana) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

I think you have a very solid chance. You have some very impressive scores that go along with your very hard schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into all the colleges you listed. Good luck.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

It's too late now, but colleges prefer an applicant who took 4 HL's. Your course load isn't bad though. Your SAT is a bit low for the Ivies, but don't worry too much about that. What are your IB predicted grades?

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

It's too late now, but colleges prefer an applicant who took 4 HL's. Your course load isn't bad though. Your SAT is a bit low for the Ivies, but don't worry too much about that. What are your IB predicted grades?

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Last time I checked 1450 isn't "a bit low" for the Ivies...it's solid in the average area. Sure, it won't turn heads, but these Ivies are so used to getting the same scores all the time, getting 50 more points won't increase your chances that much more...just focus on your ECs, getting good recs, and essays because those will be the deciding factor.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

they strongly discourage us from taking four HL's at our school. i had the option of taking Spanish B HL instead of A2 SL, but the phrase "take the harder course and get an A (or a 7)" is one you hear all too often, so i took A2 which means I can get the bilingual diploma.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Hey, what's your IB point total?

I have similar stats to you (actually it's almost identical), I'm taking the IB diploma.

HL Math
HL Bio
HL Chem
SL French
SL English
SL Econ

Right now, I'm expected to get a 41/42, with my only 6 in french. I have a predicted A on my EE and on TOK.

I devote a lot of time to journalism, student government, and sports. I have a partime job, some awards for football. I have about 300 hours of community service, mostly in tutoring.

My SAT is 1550 which is higher than yours. But my athletics are not as impressive, I have set any records or anything.

Sorry to sabotage your post, but I think that you probably have just as much, if not a better chance of getting in than I do.

I have similar stats to you (actually it's almost identical), I'm taking the IB diploma.

HL Math
HL Bio
HL Chem
SL French
SL English
SL Econ

Right now, I'm expected to get a 41/42, with my only 6 in french. I have a predicted A on my EE and on TOK.

I devote a lot of time to journalism, student government, and sports. I have a partime job, some awards for football. I have about 300 hours of community service, mostly in tutoring.

My SAT is 1550 which is higher than yours. But my athletics are not as impressive, I have set any records or anything.

Sorry to sabotage your post, but I think that you probably have just as much, if not a better chance of getting in than I do.

HL Math
HL Bio
HL Chem
SL French
SL English
SL Econ

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Davidrune-my predicted IB is a 41, my 6 being in math, based purely off of first term grades (i.e. probably not very accurate because our whole class got 5+ as we were seemingly unprepared for the "IB shock" but if anything I have a feeling it will go down; I will probably end up with a 38/39/40...but it really isnt a big deal because colleges in the US only see your predicted results, which for me at least will likely be higher than my actual ones). Same deal with TOK and EE for me. Just out of curiosity, are you taking French B or A2?

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I would guess that the majority of people in this discussion board are applying to US schools. Is anyone thinking about Britain, LSE in particular (London School of Econ.)?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

B, I'm horrible at french. So, I won't be getting the bilingual diploma.

But I hope that my focused ecs will help me out. I'm also an URM.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

whats an URM?

By Nobu (Nobu) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

yeah im looking into LSE but I'm not in the IB program...i think that app is due around August?

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

It should be read (and written) as *a* URM. You don't pronounce it like "urn".

It stands for "under represented minority." Typically refers to the percentage of African-Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans in college relative to their population in the U.S. at large.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Nobu-how do you plan on getting into LSE without an IB diploma? (unless you are taking some other sort of internatinal placement exam, none of which I have heard of)

By Nobu (Nobu) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

i think they accept american credentials...a bunch of people from my school apply to british universities every year. my counselor pointed me to a LSE recruiter in my area...so i think it's ok to apply without having gone through the IB process.

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

bump...any more opinions on davidrunes and/or my chances? thanks everyone

By Belle28 (Belle28) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

whoa, so you're both ib jrs?

disregard what davidrune said about 4 HLs. 1) it's not that common so while it does distinguish you, it also makes u look like a bit of a hardcore nerd. not a bad thing though, i'm taking 4HLs/4SLs. 2) you really don't need them. you may be interested to know that ppl from my school have gotten into every college on your list except for Duke (I don't think those have come out yet) and only 2 of us were taking 4 HLs. Don't let him make u think you don't have a good shot!

otherwise, you look really well-rounded. the only thing i would suggest is a sat2 other than spanish because language sats in native languages haven't seemed to be pretty impressive to colleges.

ooo, and how come no one told me about the billingual diploma option???

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

He still has a good shot, but it really would distinguish you if you took 4 HL's. In any case, 4 HL's and 2 SL's is crazy! How do you fulfill your IB hours requirement?

By Franche (Franche) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

I took the IB diploma an I am an international student

physics Hl
chemistry SL
SPANISH A1 SL
ENGLISH A2 HL
MATHS SL
GEOGRAPHY HL
I was predicted 45/45
my SAT I:1240

lots of EC'S AND great recommendations,

do universities in the USA take the SAT score as a derious factor for international students, what are my chances at Yale, I hace already been admited to UCBERK, U illinois at Urbana, reed college and UBC (CANADA)????

By Franche (Franche) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I took the IB diploma an I am an international student

physics Hl
chemistry SL
SPANISH A1 SL
ENGLISH A2 HL
MATHS SL
GEOGRAPHY HL
I was predicted 45/45, and I ranked 1st out of 100 in my highschool
my SAT I:1240

lots of EC'S AND great recommendations,

do universities in the USA take the SAT score as a derious factor for international students, what are my chances at Yale, I hace already been admited to UCBERK, U illinois at Urbana, reed college and UBC (CANADA)????

By Hoody (Hoody) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

This is a stupid question...but what is HL and SL after a class. At my school we only have honors and AP courses. Thanks...

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

u will get in 99.999999999% sure

Setting school records is very impressive

May I ask how fast u run each of ur events?

By Run4fun (Run4fun) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Wow, been a long time since I have posted on this thread.

Hoody- HL is "Higher Level" SL is "Standard Level"...its a reference to the degree of difficulty at which an IB student takes his or her class. Naturally, HLs are harder, and usually carry a weighting, 10% at our school.

Bluebaron1616- This past track season I actually switched events slightly, I concentrated on the 400 and the 800, didnt really run the mile. My times for each were 53.4 and 2:03.7 I believe. My PR for the mile during sophmore year was 4:49.5.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page