What if I marked black?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: What if I marked black?
By dxiw on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

What can the college do? I mean, if I mark black on my application and then decline the interview (cause its optional..), I will probably get in. Later on if they find out I'm white, what can they do? If they kick me out then I could sue them like crazy for discrimination and have thousands of ppl behind me, but really they can't do anything once I've been accepted. I mean, how could they withdraw it just because they see I'm white?

By alejandro on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

they can expel you for lying.

By dxiw on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

but if they did, then I could sue them for saying they expelled me because they found out I was white, right?

By . on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Yes you can, but you'll lose the lawsuit, and it'll cost you a lot of money.

By Common Sense on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

the fact is that you lied about your race. There not basing on white or black, blue or red... you simply are lying. If it was a black lying that they are white then the same would happen.

By Common Sense on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

they're not there* for all you anal spell checkers

By Cooli on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

yeah, if you wanna waste your time filing a lawsuit, and have no life, then sure, check the african-american box

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

On the UW application, the question is written oddly. "What race do you consider yourself?" I guess in that case, you could mark anything, because it is asking your opinion of your race.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

if im south african (im not, btw) can i mark the african american box? my friends are planning on doing that, and i think it's hilarious.

By john on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

haha i always wondered about that

By your local mayor on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

DO IT!!! Push this issue into the main-media...racial-checking on applications should be eliminated.

By asdfafds on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

Everyone already knows colleges give extra points just for skin color. UM gives 20 extra points.

College adcoms have their noses so far up their own asses that they have made a new word for their kind of racism: "diversity"

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

You do know that in the US, there are many people who have blond hair, blue eyes, pink and white skin, yet consider themselves African American -- black.

This is because in many parts of the US, if one had one drop of black African blood, one were considered black. Such people were born and raised and truly consider themselves black.

For that reason, if you check "black" on your college app, even though you look "white," many people simply will assume you are black -- African American. This can include prospective dates, frat members, etc.

In fact, even if you try to explain your "joke" in the app, many people --including black students and faculty who learned that you were coming -- won't believe you. They'll just think you're trying to pass for white.

In fact, you'll probably find that some of the officers of the campus' African American student group look whiter than you look.

By maybe...not on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Didn't the first humans originate in Africa? There you go.

By L on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

I think its wrong that they do a racial check on SAT-ACT's altogether..you should get into a college based on merit alone. Not the color of your skin...

By Um...no on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

> but really they can't do anything once I've been
> accepted.

Uh. No. Once you're in, they can and will expel you from the college. Even if you graduated, they can and will rescind your degree (this happened just recently with some students who cheated). Your •••••••• about suing them doesn't fly, and you'll lose. You lied on your application; they'd be punishing you for lying, not for being white.

By aa is neededd on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Ok, you anti-aa people. We could eliminate race, but there are tons of other unfair advantages. We'd also have to eliminate legacy status, geographic location, and even gender from appilcations. Isn't gender status a form of discrimintation? DO YOU SEE HOW FAR WE CAN TAKE IT?

By Tim (Tim) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Sure. Go all the way. Separate name, race, financial status, address, and gender from the actual application materials the decision-makers will read.

Tim

By dxiw on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

ok. But if I said it was a mistake then they can't do crap. Its human to make mistakes and so I checked the wrong box. The case could be manipulated so that it looks like they are discriminatory. Think about it.. If they expel me for "lying" I could say it was a mistake, and that they are expelling me for being white. Because assuming it was a mistake or I was "lying" either way all I did was mark a different race...so by changing race how can they expel me?

also, could I tell them after I get my acceptance letter that I made a mistake and that my race is white and apologize. Then if they withdraw my acceptance one thing is clear DISCRIMINATION, I take it to court with half of the Anti-AA ppl behind me. I would win in a heartbeat.

By hello on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

you cant say it was a mistake?????? Its your word against theirs whether you made a mistake or not and most likely the judge will not believe you. How can you not differientate between each box? Come on.... dont be stupid

By z on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

you sign the release saying that all the information is, to your best knowledge, correct. if you are midteens and you dont know your race, you are incredibly stupid or are lying. Either way, its grounds for release and they can boot you on the basis of false information.

By dsafds on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

How does the existence of crap like legacy somehow make AA legitimate?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Wouldn't it look fishy if, right after you got your acceptance letter, you said "Oh I made a mistake" and subsequently apologized? Furthermore if it was really a mistake, how would you even know that you accidentally checked the African-American box?

This seems to be more trouble than it's worth (by far). I don't want to discredit your abilities any but if you're so insecure in what you have to offer the college of your choice, maybe it's not where you're meant to be anyhow.

Everyone can't get in everywhere dxiw; those who are accepted at School X are very often not MUCH more qualified (if at all) than those that aren't. Every year The League releases what I consider to be a very truthful statement that says, in essence, that the Admissions Offices could fill the upcoming freshman Class of [Year] several times over with the number of qualified applicants. Such a statement is omnipresent in rejection letters, but it all comes down to what they are looking for in their class. Sure ethnic and racial diversity help, but that's not all they want.

Anyway I wish you all the fortune in the world in your college search and that you find the perfect fit for you: without having to make "mistakes."

Lucky

By dafasd on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

Yes, Lucky is right. Pity points are reserved for blacks. Don't lie on your app.

By dontbelonghere on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

To DXIW: You need a hobby.

You're assuming--if you actually did get away with this--that you would make it in even if you did say you were black. Are you ruling out the possibility that you would make it in as your actual race?
Also, do people who get interviewed get preference or does it not make a difference?
Either way, I think you're a moron and a discrace to the should-be-easy-task of filling in a bubble on your race. How about you work on making yourself competitive instead of your intelligence-proof plan to win in court about a lie.

By Pasific (Pasific) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

How can they find out if I lie and put hispanic on my application??

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

.. I know this is old though.. but anyone know what happened? Couldn't you argue that by the wording of the question, most of them use the words "identify with", that you could put any race you felt like? Couldn't you also argue that everyone is an African, some people are just European/Asian, but originally and still part African. What if?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page