Self-Taught APs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Self-Taught APs
By Steve on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

My little brother is about to enter into High School. I taught AP Calc to him and he's taking the exam in May (don't argue about whether his childhood is repressed or not. It's not. I made sure he's interested in it and I taught him while playing video games.) I was wondering how it would look to colleges if he took the "requirements" such as AP Physics, AP Chemistry, AP US History, AP European History himself without taking the Honors courses and then took things like Art History and Music Theory in school? He is also a piano prodigy and probably going to get a 1600 on his SATs. (Neither of which I involved him with).
Is it going to look a lot better that he could teach everything to himself? or will it be comparable to taking the courses in class? Also, he could then learn Multivariable Calculus and other advanced Math and Sciences at the local community college.

By agentd on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Jesus, your brother is smart. Go for it.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

along the lines of self-taught AP's, i'm thinking of taking AP English Language and Composition exam along with AP Spanish one without actually having taken either class. I've taken 5 years of Spanish but no AP Spanish this year. I also scored a 720 on the SAT II Writing with a perfect score on the composition, but no AP English course. I'm aiming for a 4 on English and a 3 in Spanish. Are these scores feasible?

By Steve on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page