Would becoming.......affect chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Would becoming.......affect chances?
By TKD on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Would becoming World TaeKwonDo champion increase my chances at a prestigious university/college?

By asdfasd on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

since that'll never happen while you're in high school..y does that matter?

By TKD on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Actually it can. I am also a freshman in high school. I competed in 3, yes 3 divisions and won in all 3. Anyone else?

By wer on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

the people in Japan and Korea that learn "real" martial arts ever since they were 2, will rape your ass upside down.

By TKD on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Anyone else?! Will this effect chances at a prestigious college/university?

By The Truth on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Do you realize the level of competition you'll be facing to get a world title? A buddy of mine withdrew from high school and started home schooling to prepare himself for TKD international competition and the next olympics...I'm talking bruce lee obsessive training (over 12 hour days)...He's already internationally ranked and he'll probably hold off on college until makes the next team and competes in the olympics. That's dedication and unless you plan on winning the ymca world title...you're not going to win any real world titles. Cuz I gurantee he would woop your ass if he had to face you. This kid is around your age but is years ahead of his peers in physical development...On that note, if you're really good enough, make the olympic team and write your ticket to any damn school you want. Otherwise, shut your trap and move on.

By keysincar316 on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

gkla;gasgdasdg

By TKD on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Yes, I know the level of competition I would face to win not just 1 world title, but 3 of them. Such as sparring (fighting if u didn't know what that was.) Of the 3 divisions, 2 were sparring and I won in both of them. One being point sparring and one being olympic style sparring (ask your buddy what the difference is and he will be able to tell you). Yes, I won in both again, but I also took a beating in both as well, but then again my moto is no pain no gain I don't know about training 12 hours a day, but i train 2 hous a day. I don't think my physical development is bad neither. I really don't need to train like a mad man to do well, i'm just simply gifted. Having a gift and training is the ultimate combination for anything, so don't think just cause i train for 2 hours, I'm bad or anything like that. I have fun with it.

By TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 07:42 am: Edit

Anyone else? Would becoming that effect college acceptance chances?

By Acumen on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 08:12 am: Edit

ok,,this might help...
priority --
1. take SATs and get good scores
2. keep good ranks/GPA.

and on application --
1. send them a resume of your awards etc.
2. write an essay on how the sport has influenced you (you have become more persistent, acute, blah.)
3. have your coach (preferably someone famous or influential) write a recommendation for you

By Acumen on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 08:13 am: Edit

generally, OF COURSE IT WILL HELP. it just depends on HOW YOU WILL SHOW TO YOUR COLLEGES.

By TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 08:22 am: Edit

This is how my resume will look by the time I graduate (pretty sure.)
SAT's-1470
SAT II- in the 700's
Grades- 96/100 (no 4.0 or anything like that
Course load- Most rigorous with all honors and about 8 AP's
Rank- top 10% just about, maybe higher
Will write all that I've earned, but also earned other awards in different areas (music, athletics especially)
I am writing about TaeKwonDo on the essay
Will have recommendation from TKD instructor (1 time world, multi time international champion)
Anyone, even acumen, how does this look on college chances?)

By anonymous on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 08:30 am: Edit

You join the competition for the love of the sport, not to get college acceptances, stupid. If you do this competition and get rejected anyway you'll be feeling pretty dumb.

By Acumen on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 09:05 am: Edit

what the hell, are you a freshman? if so how can you be sure about your 1470 SAT?

that "even acumen" sounds very ... hmmm

By holyshit-fyi on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Martial Arts was invented by Hindu Sages thousands of years ago. Budda learned it and monks started using it for self-control and body toning. Buddhism spread to East Asia and so did Martial Arts. East Asians are the best in the world at the art, but it started in India. I didn't know that. I thought the Chinese started it!

By TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

I am Indian. Hindu to be exact.

By weqr on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

taekwondo is not an intercollegiate sport, so colleges could not care less about it.

By TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Actually, taekwondo is a national collegiate sport. U can even go to the Harvard taekwondo website for proof.

By 234 on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Actually, being hindu, you can't get any world champions. I'm not racist or anything, but there is NEVER an Indian that had got even a bronze in the olympic... nor anything like K-1 or anything type of fighting..I'm not being racist or anything and you probly wont' be the frist one.

Also, there are people more gifted then you that train 12 hours a day. I used to train 6 hours a day, its hard untill I realize if you want to be champion, don't even think about having time to study, go out to the movies, hang out, don't even think that way. If you think thous 2 hours at a local gym counts, well it don't.

Anyways, Kung Fu, martial arts is 100 percent Chinese, a monk brought it to a chinse buddish temple and there it is developed. His name is DaMu somthing (dont' know the english name really).

I to want to be a champion but waht if being the best fighter going to get you in the world of nukes and missles. So just study and get good grades and pratice for fitness and health like me. Keep takin classes, it will still be an EC for college.

By 234 on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

oh yea, DaMu brought in the breathing , yoga, which is indian, but real KungFu is made 100's of years later.

By i own u in TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

TKD, chances are u are not gonna win world title within your life time. So stop dreaming about win it in high school. Ur already predicting that ur gonna get 1470 on the SATs? do u even know what SATs are? if ur so good at predicting why do u predict what med school i am gonna go to?
To tell u the truth, i do tkd mysefl and i also dream about winning internation title when i was a freshman. Now i am a senior and the highest title i won was US OPEN silver medalist. So stop dreamin about ur "world title and a couple international champions"

By TKD on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I said world champion, I never said the olympics. LOL local gym. I train kicking and whats needed for competition. I only do about 30 minutes of strength training.

By TKD is a retard on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Your question is simply retarded. Yes it will help you retard! That's assuming you are or will be the champion... Why in the world are you asking such a stupid question? Will getting a 4.6 help? Same answer. Are you stupid? Same answer.

By 234 on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

LOL. TKD, I will box you , kickboxing in the ring and I will take you out. I used to train 6 hours a day like I said and now I train 1 hour a day for fitness and health. I bet I'll own your ass. oh yea, if you say you will move to China in Sholin Temple to train for 12 hours a day, you might have a chance, 1 out of 1,000,000. But now you have 1 out of 6 billion chance.

By fea on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

jet li grew up in a shaulin temple since he was eight

damn hes good

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page