My Chances...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: My Chances...
By Kevin on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Here it goes...I am not the smartest person in my class. It is pretty competitive, but I am withing the top 10%. (There are about 700 kids in my class) I have a 3.73 (unweighted) GPA with a moderately heavy courseload. I teach piano, tutor, play the piano, and have worked with my developmentaly disabled brother. My SATs are about 1300 with pretty much even scores in both sections. What are my chances at the UCs (Not Irvine or Riverside) and at University of Virginia, USC also. Probably slim to none, but I was wondering if I stand a chance. Any help is appreciated. Also, how do I weight my GPA, and, since my high school doesn't, will the colleges take that into account when I apply.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:00 pm: Edit

UC Santa Cruz has looser standards than some of the other UC's. I also think you might as well give usc a shot. You might also have a chance at UC Santa Barbara...a beautiful place to go to school, a horrible place to have to study. :)

You DON'T weight your GPA. The colleges get something called a school profile from your counseling office as part of the process and the colleges will either re-calculate the GPA based on their own system or else just note that the GPA is unweighted...in other words, they'll take it into account.

By Kevin on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Hey thanks for the response! Especially since you were so nice about it. I appreciate it.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

There's no reason not to be nice, unless someone is being a jerk and needs to be called on it, or maybe needs a mirror to see just how shallow they're being.

You're fine. Very few questions are dumb. Good luck.

By Keysincar316 on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

no chance

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page