Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Three UC's
By MattL on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Hi, here are my stats:
SAT I: Verbal 730, Math 610
SAT II: Writing 780, Language (List.) 800, Literature: 690
Weighted gpa: 3.85
Pharm. Lab intern at UCSF
Intern at District Attorney's Office
Many extra-curriculars (including Honor Society, Friends of the Urban Forest, tutoring, mentoring)with leadership positions, founder of an organization.
What are my chances for UCLA, UCSD, and UC Davis?
Thanks in advance for the input!

By nnICE on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

nice little verbal score ya got there. How did you do it?

By duh on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

none...because you needed to take goddamn math for sat II's...

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Oh, I did take math for SAT II's. Forgot to include: 680.
Re. verbal score: Kaplan's pretty good.

By nnICE on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

do you ever read literature outside of school?

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

The only REAL lit. course I took in school was the required world literature course during my freshman year. I do read some lit. outside of school…but if you want to take SAT II lit. my suggestion is to brush up on the Shakespeare!!

By j on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

How would you interpret this poem that was on my SAT II Lit exam?

"An Egyptian Pulled Glass Bottle in the Shape of a Fish"

Here we have thirst
and patience, from the first,
and art, as in a wave held up for us to see
in its essential perpendicularity;

not brittle but
intense—the spectrum, that
spectacular and nimble animal the fish,
whose scales turn aside the sun's sword by their polish.

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Well, here's what I think. the poet begins w/ the practical and moral situation that led to the fish-bottle’s making. The poem’s tracing the process of creation, so that it leads to the presence of the bottle as its conclusion. Art is therefore the result of physical need and the skill of the artist to create what is needed: the first stanza connotes that art demands appreciation. Then the second stanza goes on to appreciate what the artist has created. To paraphrase: The work of art is not false but real—genuine. This bottle is more than something that aids in the alleviation of thirst, it’s a fish created more intensely and more essentially than its living model because it is glass. The fish is eternal and cannot be destroyed by time: its scales turn aside the sun's sword by their polish. To conclude, I guess, the perfect poem is a reflecting and protecting surface.

By wer on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

everything is symbolic rape.

anyways, you have a less than average shot at the top three UCs, due to low SATII scores.

By j on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

Who would you say is the speaker: museum guide, sailor, artist, other?

Every question that they gave me on this had me stumped so I skipped this entire poem. Got a 670 on the exam.

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

I'd say artist.

By Liss8 on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

His SATII's aren't low at all - 800, 780, 690, and a 680?...I'd say he can get into Davis no problem, SD - good chance...but UCLA is a reach due to a not so great GPA.

By bigben on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

hey wer, u think this guy's sat II scores are low?

By Anonymous RED NECK on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

oh dont listen to wer! He's a f*king idiot who just talks out of his as$!

By aegaeg on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

do u have anything extracurricular thats exceptional...like state champ in any sports? if u do u might be able to get into all three ucs including ucla

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

Ha. So, bigben and Anonymous RED NECK - what do you think my chances are are LA, SD, and Davis? Any other opinions? Thanks! Btw, hope I was able to help with the poem, i.

By Anonymous RED NECK on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

Not bad. I think your chances are decent, I guess. Say, MattL, how did you pull off that good SAT verbal score? How did you, like, prepare and stuff?

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

I took a Princeton Review course -- but that didn't help me much. So I bought a couple of SAT Prep books. My suggestion would be not to bother wasting the time or money on a course; instead, buy the book: I suggest Kaplan (buy it at an used bookstore where it's usually half off, and use the flashcards! they're good). This way, you monitor the amount of time you spend studying yourself, which helps - especially if you're from a school that allots HUGE quantities of hw. Otherwise...just study hard. I guess it helps to TRY and use the "word-a-day" trick...trying to incorporate SAT words in everyday convo.

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

I'm a junior right now. I will most likely take the SAT I's over -- I've only taken it once so far. Still, I'd like to know what you guys think about my stats (re. getting into the 3 UC's)right now! Bring it!

By Anonymous RED NECK on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

Sorry, Matt. I dont really know too much about that school. Is it very selective? What are the ppl there like? What's the admissions rate? Etc, etc...

One other quetion: Do you read lit outside of school? If so, who do you read?

By Pow on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Matt, tell me, is there a trick to reading Literature, to interpreting a poem as well as you did? I scored a 790 Verbal and couldn't tell head or tail of that poem.

To illustrate what I'm taking about, here is my paraphrase: It's a fish-shaped bottle and must have taken a long time to make. "as in a wave held up for us to see in its essential perpendicularity" -- the fish bottle doesn't move and we can admire its art.

not brittle but
intense—the spectrum, that
spectacular and nimble animal the fish,
whose scales turn aside the sun's sword by their polish.

To me that means the glass-fish is not brittle, very striking, and the last line ("whose scales turn aside the sun's sword by their polish") means it reflects sunlight, it shines brightly.

Hmm..

By whacko on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

egyptians live in the midle of the desert (ignoring the nile), and all i can tell fromt hat obscure poem is that fish and water are both scarcities, so they are dreamin of something they would like to have, and that the bottle is empty. Sheesh MattL, how the hell did u do that interpretation? its fantastic.

By whacko on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Oh and i think that the sun emphasizes that point. The bottle resists the sun, because it can hold the water that the sun would otherwise evaporate. Oh god I am blabbering, ignore me.

By MattL on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Poems are always open to interpretation -- basically all you need are details to support your thesis, that's all. I do read lit. outside of school, though not very much (time doesn't allow). If preparation for the SAT II Lit. exam/future Lit. classes is what you're looking for, try some Shakespeare (esp. doesn't hurt when you want to impress your g/f); for poetry:
W. H. Auden, Elizabeth Bishop, Blake, Browning, Lord Byron, Lorna Dee Cervantes, Geoffrey Chaucer, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, H.D., Emily Dickinson, and Yeats...for fiction, Jane Austen, Ralph Ellison, Dickens, Faulkner, Melville, Twain, Woolf, and Wright.

By Pow on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Matt, is there a book which could lead me through the basics of comprehending poetry -- a book, perhaps, with a variety of poetry followed my complete explanations?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page