How do sports help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: How do sports help?
By athlete on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

i am a really good athlete (one of the top two or three in my school at my sport). i am not nationally ranked or anything and am not known for my sport. thus, i doubt colleges will be recruiting me.

however, i have received advice that i am good enough to play my sport at a college level. i know i can't get a free ride or anything based on my merit, but i want to use this sport to increase my chances at a top school or maybe get some cash.

what should i do/how can this help me?

thanks.

By your local mayor on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

just keep playing the sports b/c you love them--and they help in the admission process.

By athlete on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

but can't i use it to my advantage more than that? i also plan to get a rec from my coach, but still...

By bump on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

bump

By meryl on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

the mayor knows best, my friend, the mayor knows best. Just listen to him.

By athlete on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

i know sports help in the admission process. but i'm talking about something more than that. how about for TOP athletes who are really, really good at and serious about their sport.

i'm talking about athletes that plan to play their sport in college. what's the deal?

btw, my sport is tennis. would it help to play some usta tournaments and get a sectional (or possibly national) ranking?

By genius on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

alright, if you are not nationally ranked, then its going to be extremely hard to get a full ride on tennis. If you are good, which it seems you are, then you may get a full ride at a local/not very prestigious school. Playing a sport in college doesn't really matter unless you are being actively recruited. I would suggest playing in these usta tournaments you mentioned and see what your ranking is.

By athlete on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

no no, the thing is, i don't want to use my sport to get a full ride.

i want to use it as an advantage to get into a better college. something that would push me up a tier so to speak. in other words, if i couldn't get into a certain college without my sport, maybe i could with it. know what i'm saying?

and i don't want it to just be another extracurricular... ugh it's hard to explain, heh.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I get what your saying, but I have no words of wisdon for you. I kind of have the same situation myself.

By falafel on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

write a letter to the coach or something to get yourself noticed. If you're good enough that the coach wants you, he can put in a good word. I know a national-team athlete that applied to a college--he didn't send grades or anything, just a sheet from the coach that said "i want this kid".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page