Magnet schools and colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Magnet schools and colleges
By Dwarvo on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Hey there,

I'm actually about 14 years old and have been roaming the college discussion forums for quite awhile.

I'm thinking of going to a magnet school for high school. Do you guys think that i'll have a chance at ivy league college once i'm in the magnet school? Do they care if it's a good magnet school or should i stick with the high school nearby?

I heard that Ivys only look at the top 2% of your school. If that were true, i'd have a better chance in my nearby high school than the magnet school. In the magnet school, i'd be an average student who gets A's and such, but in the normal school i'd be more of a top contender.

Thanks for your input!

By mo on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

go to the school with better teachers and facilities so you'll actually learn something.

By now im screwed! on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

nooo. don't. trust me - i made the mistake and went to the magnet school. as long as you are taking the most challenging classes at the easy school and making A's in them, you will be FINE. trust me.

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Go to the magnet. I make straight A's at my magnet school.... If I went to regular I would be rank 1 easily, magnet gives you more oppurtunity and challenge.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Admissions people have a pretty good idea about
the relative strengths different high schools.
Go to the magnet...you'll get more challenging
classes and preobably be happier as well.

now_im_screwed's advice is awful and his/her judgment perhaps accounts for his/her predicament.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

go to a private 15,000 dollars a year school.

By Dwarvo on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

yourlocalmayor,

why go to a private school?

Thedad,

You're saying that colleges know which school is better and will admit more students in their colleges?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:57 am: Edit

No. I'm saying that the colleges know which high school is stronger and weight that accordingly.
Whether this translates to more admissions is dependent on too many variables.

So much of the talk on this board about stats, grades, and stuff being "in" or "rejected" is just flat wrong. There are correlations and there are probabilities. But. For instance: Harvard turns down more valedictorians than they accept--who the hell wants a class of all valedictorians anyway?--and I believe it's the same with perfect 1600 SAT's.

By Lonewolf (Lonewolf) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

Go to a magnet school. I have graduated with High Honors from a magnet high school, and as a result, I am in a top university(University of Chicago) I would have never been accepted if I had just gone to an easy school where I would have had to lower MY standards and still get staright A's. Take the most challenging courses(AP and Scholars) at a magnet school, get great grades and scores, then go to a top-notch college/university, like I am. Good luck!
Post scriptum- Ivies(and comparable universities) usually take more magnet school high caliber grads then your average school. I am an example of this fact.

By Bubbleyone (Bubbleyone) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Go to the magnet school. I attend a technical magnet school and I absolutely love it. It is so much better than a regular public school for a number of reasons.

Usually in a magnet school, you actually have to apply to the school, have a certain GPA and test scores, and then be picked from a lottery. This process keeps the people who don't want to be at school, get into bad influences, and aren't as intelligent out of a magnet school. You are then surrounded by mainly bright students who want to get an education. For the most part, the student's want to have a future and have some clue about what they want to do with their lives since they are going to a specialized school.

At a magnet school, since only a limited amount of people can get into the school, there is no overcrowdedness at all. In public regular schools this can be a problem and can keep you from getting a better education because there isn't anymore room for more students in that advanced Calculus class you wanted or you can't walk in the halls without being squashed.

The teachers are usually better too. My teachers are great, and I know if I attended a regular public school then I would have had problems with a teachers or two. At magnet schools, more qualified teachers will be teaching there.

You might have to sacrifice some things, like taking long bus rides or not making many friends that live close to your house, but to me I think it's worth it for a great education and being surrounded by great people.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page