GPA IMPORTANCE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: GPA IMPORTANCE
By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Is a 3.6 unweighted gpa considered bad??
what if there is an upward trend from freshman to sr. year??
i.e./ 3.3, 3.5, 3.8 and all A's and A-'s in sr yr. AP and Honors classes?

furthermore,
can i even consider applying to ivys with these stats ( have high sats and sat IIs and amazing e.c.s)
what do you think?

By andres on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

3.6 isn't bad, but it depends on your SAT scores. Are you in the top 10 percent?

By hi on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

no one can tell you how well your gpa looks unless you tell us your rank or approximate rank

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

yeah im i the top 10 percent and have 1530 on my sats and a 800 on my writing sat II

By meryl285 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

WOW, alexsea, how did you earn that 1530 SAT score. I mean, like, what did you do to prepare for the test?...

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

um, lets see
i took a kaplan course and did a book of pactise sats (10)

the week befoe i took the tst i stdied hardcore

not bad

By meryl285 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

do you read a lot? I mean like literature and non fiction and stuff?

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

yeah

my verbal is super strong

my math i neede to prepare for

so do you think i have a chance at competetive scools?

By meryl285 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

hmmm...its hard to say because you didnt provide me w/much info. Like your ECs and APs and all sorts of other stuff like that...

But alexsea, what do you read, in general? Because I am looking for lit and nonfiction to read to prep for the reading part...

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

um, i take three languages
4 aps sr yr
my strongest e.c. are president and founder of the multicultural society
president of the key club
phot editor of the paper and 4 yr varsity capt of hockey team

i would say european literture is great...full of sat words

By jonathon on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

i think youre definately ivy material alexsea. but there is never one formula for getting in to an ivy league school. you really need to "wow" them with your application

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

thanks for your help.

any advice how to "wow"??

By meryl285 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Alexsea, you asked about applying to Ivies. It depends on WHERE you are applying to. No offense or anything, but I dont think you have a great chance @ Harvard or Princeton. Yale MIGHT be in your league. I am almost positive that you can get into Cornell. I dont really know about Columbia (my frined got into Columbia, and you have much better stats then he did. The only problem is that i THINK they MAY have accepted him on the basis of AA).

You said European lit.
Like what, exactly? What authors would you recommend?

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Thanks for you advice..i appreciate i.

im looking at michigan, emory, columbia and yale (for hockey)
do you know if colleges look to accept you heavily based on your athletics (even if your not recruited) for example..with hoceky; the fact that they see im a competetive player...they may accept me thinking that i will try out???

when i read a tale of two citys i was looking up words every page or so....

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

also what is AA??

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

hmm...alexsea, you seem to be heavily stressing you're athletics. You have other strong pts (the average SAT score @ Columbia, for example, is probably like a 1490 or something like that...). I dont know if these ivy leagues stress sports. I know they USED to...
but personally, I've never heard of the Yale Hockey team or the Columbia Hockey team or any team for any sport. Perhaps your guidance counselor could tell you...

Any other books?

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Oh...AA stands for Affirmative Action. It's like when colleges accept people from certain ethnic groups (such as black, hispanic, oriental, pacific islander, etc.) in order to "even out the playing field in society" so to speak. If you are white (which judging by the name, i'm guessing your Russian) then it does not apply to you. In my friend's case, it applied to him because he was a 2nd generation Pakastani.

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

um lets see....guns germs and steel i recently read and it had a lot of vocab

its also a great book
also, the bible; i know its seems acksward, im not even religous but it has lots of sat words

yeh yle has a div I womens hockey team and colubia dosn't
so you thikn i have a great shot???

are you a counsellor or a dean or a student?

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I am a student, so I'm affraid I really cant advise you. I'd rather not give you solid advice. But I DO think you have a shot (coming from me, however, that doesnt mean much). The only problem is that you could do w/more ECs. In MY shool, we dont use this 3.whatever grading system. A 3.5 or whatever means NOTHING to me, because when I get my report card, it just says 91.273 or something. I really suggest you speak w/your guidance counselor. Good luck, and thanx for those book titles..

By alexsea on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

ofcourse

take care*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page