Chances at UCLA, UCB, UCSD,Stanford, and Cal Tech?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Chances at UCLA, UCB, UCSD,Stanford, and Cal Tech?
By Azn1 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I am an asian senior at a pretty diverse high school in California.
Here are my stats:
GPA 4.0 UW, 4.85 W
SAT 1540 790(M) 750(V)
SATII's Chemistry 800, Math IIC 800, Writing 780
AP's Chemistry 5 ,AP Bio 5, AP U.S 5, AP World History 4, AP stats 5, AP Spanish 4, AP Cal 5, AP Computer Science 5, AP Euro 5
EC's
National AP Scholar
Vietnamese club ( founder)
Spanish club( president ,freshmen and Junior )
National Spanish Honor Society
Math Olympia
Volunteer at a hospital for 3 years ( 9,10,11)
Play Varsity Tennis ( 3 years , captain, state champion)
worked with a professor at UCLA during the summer of Sophmore and Junior years
First Generation
What are my chances at top UC's and top universities? Stanford? Cal Tech?

By azn1 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Please advise me to which school has the best Pre-med program? Which school is best in medicine? I want to become a heart surgeon.

By afsdfasd on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

you'll be a top contender anywhere...

UCSD, UCLA, UCI, Stanford all have great premed programs...it's up to u to find out about the campus, if u can afford it, and etc. (personally I would pick between stanford and ucla)

UCI has one of the best cardio graduate programs though...

By asfasdasd on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

and PLEASE do not go to caltech if u wanna be a physician...complete waste of ur time

By dude on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

i had similar stats and was deferred at caltech

By azn1 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

how about Ivy Leagues? which one has the best pre-med? I heard that Harvard has the best graduate school for medicine( doctoral ). Is that true?

By asdf on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

An Asian being president of the Spanish club and a member of the National Spanish Honor Society.

Curious...

By azn1 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Yea, what's wrong with that. My mom is Mexican. In fact, I love the language.

By quarky on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Meryl: get a life u little punksta. asfa is way smarter than you; perhaps this is the reason why you cannot comprehend anything he says. It is way out of your league, you know. What asfa is saying is that there really isn't a good reason to go to Caltech, an awesome (not just "good," as you said) engineering/math/sci school, because it's not the best place for people interested in medical programs. In other words, AZN -- your acceptance to Caltech might have killed my spot at the school, which is my #1 choice (engineering major).

By azn on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Quarky, don't even worry because I'm not even sure whether Cal Tech is a good school for me. I am more into stanford. Which one is better? Stanford or Ive Leagues ( especially HYP)

By burp on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

STANFORD! esp. for undergrad

By asdfasdfsad on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

harvard has the best graduate medical school for research...clinical practice is washington university..i believe....u might wanan double check :O...

harvard does not really have premed..I'm not sure about the other ivies...brown has PLME, and most ivies have md+phd programs - which may be something that you will be interested in

By azn1 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

Please give me my chances ( in percent ) of getting into these schools.
Harvard
Princeton
UCLA
UCSD
UCB
Stanford
Yale
Columbia

By meq on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

you hare 50% mexican. URM.. you are i anywhere you apply.

By ert on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

no, the 50% asian cancels that out, bitch.

you are in at all the publics.

harvard, princeton, yale, 30%
columbia, stanford, 35%

By Aditya on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

I got into Stanford, and u have a very good chance of getting through az1. Stanford is a great undergrad institution and has a very good premed program. And you're in California!!!, so Stanford would definitely be better for u than any ivy league school:)

By azn1 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

If I want to major in engineering, what are my chances at the top engineering schools?

By naz on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

You're an idiot azn1. Figure out what you want to do you little punk.

By quarky on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

That's right naz. What a jackass. I WANT TO GO TO CALTECH, so even if I am less qualified than u, then what's the point of blocking me from it? OK, so caltech will be like, "hmm.. who do we want? AZN or Quarky? AZN has higher SAT and SAT ii scores, so let's take AZN. Boo ya quarky"

But then u dont end up going to the school anyway, so i am stuck going to Yukon Comm College just cuz u decided to go to Stanford instead of Caltech. Isn't that just wonderful?

Even if u chose to go to Caltech, that would be a waste of time cuz it's for engineering and science people, like me. Oh, and I CAN make up my mind. It is 100% engineering, all the way. I am not like u...

hmm... ok i will go to Yukon college and major in "snow shoveling with advanced handmade tools"
NO -- I will major in Engineering! Got it? ANd after all of this u tell me not to worry?

What would happen if 500 (out of about 3500 total) students with high stats applied to caltech, but wanted to major in political science or medicine? They would basically cause the rejection of 1/7th of 500, so about 70, other applicants. And what if *I* am one of those 70? U just ruined my entire life. Thank you Aznhole.

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

One reason why it's so damn hard nowadays is because people apply to schools they might not even wanna go to, just for the heck of it. Like hey! I got accepted to UCLA and Stanford, but nah I wanna go to MIT instead.

By upwardbound1 on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I'm a female high school sophomore and I really want to know my chances of getting into Stanford, Columbia, USC, or maybe even Dartmouth (but I'm not looking to be unrealistic!). My curiosity is spurred because of my PSAT scores... of course I've received the obligatory overflow of emails from eager colleges, and suddenly college is the only thing on my mind. Part of me thinks I could rely on my chances of getting a track and field scholarship to a Division 1 school, which is slim due to the amount of scouts in my area, but I'd rather be proactive in finding a school that suits my needs because of my extracurricular activities. I am as follows:
GPA: 3.7
PSAT: 1380 (as a sophomore)
AP Chemistry, AP Spanish (5 years), AP US History, AP English, Honors Humanities/Science, AP Calc?
Viola for 10 years
Chamber Ensemble, All-Northwest Honors Orchestra
Track and Field - 4-year varsity letterman (barring injury), state bound baby!
Drill Team
DECA Division champion
SERVE club

I'm looking for a good premed program, but music is another possibility...
I definitely want to be realistic and maybe (de facto) Ivy, etc. is not the best for me. I plan to be a camp counselor this summer for community service. Any advice you have about what I should work on for the rest of high school is really really appreciated (and don't worry I'll work on my PSAT/SAT scores!) My brother is a freshman at USC so I think I could make it there, possibly for track... but otherwise, am I shooting too high? Thank you!!

By quarky on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

What, Mr. Cross? You wrote an essay about your mom's big tits? I am sure that got the male adcoms' attention :)

By azn1 on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

Hey, How dare you to call me an Aznhole! I haven't applied to the school yet. So I haven't destroyed anyone's chance.

By quarky on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

WHAT? Your are an aznhole, no matter what! Somehow, I do not believe you haven't applied to Caltech YET. Why? Because as you probably know, the application deadline has passed long time ago! And, as you said, you are a senior.

By azn1 on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I am applying for Spring Semester, not FALL. Dumbass!!!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page