For All those Anxious Indians!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: For All those Anxious Indians!!
By Well Wisher on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

Well, most Indians are pretty anxious about getting into top notch colleges and I just want to ask you all one thing! Do any of you have friends or acquaitances who have been admitted to HYPSM and the rest of the ivies for the class of 2007? If so, please tell me how u know them and their stats. After giving me the above details, I will supply u with some "confidential" statistics about Indian applicants to HYPSM/Ivies. This info is actually very very confidential, and sheds light on how "bias" or "racist" these universities are. I would not just reveal this info. I would like to first get a feedback from those who are interested and to those who supply me with the above information.

By veena on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:44 pm: Edit

ummmmm........well.....im dont have any info about a cousin or anythign who got in this yr. my cuz got in like 3 yrs back to cornell with 2400 sat 2 and 1580 sat 1... but he was turned down by P. But then again, he doesnt really hav much of extra-cos and stuff. A guy from blore, ull see him on the board got into S with 1500 sat1, ed.

im really curious about the info, so do mail me if u dont mind. and plz give a unique subject cuz otherwise ill think its another junk mail and will delete it!

By Dave Nar on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

hey Well Wisher, I know an Indian kid from my school in California. All A's (ranked 1st/200), 1600 SAT, numerous awards in all subjects. Lowest SAT 2 score is like 750. Extremely good at music (all state, etc). Got into Stanford ED.

By You wish on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

LOL hate to break it to you but Indians are not in a special class of their own.

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

You wish,
ever heard of a news paper??

By Chinese American Cornell bound on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Well Wisher,

I've known some very smart Indians who got into top Ivy schools. I have a friend who goes to Northwestern, another at Cornell, and another at Berkeley. I can't really go into too much depth about their stats but I do know it's high.

By You wish on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Meryl,

Yes I believe I have your point?

By You wish on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Meryl,

Yes I believe I have your point?

By tina on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Why are the Indians taking up space here. Shouldn't they be attending college in India?

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

You wish
you have what???

By sondogg on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

taking up space you stupid F&!%!%, indians do and will build this country for the future so that ignorant people like you can collect welfare checks, moron

By incognito on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

sondogg, I find it very surprising that you are allowed to have access to the internet; esp right now (isnt it your bed time?)...

By veena on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

hey thatz not fair tina... why do u have a prob with indian students comin to usa? sheesh.. why are we gettin all racist?
-considering that in india its known as brain drain i dont see why ur complainin! if anyone should be complainin it should be the employers out here!!!-

By Some interesting facts for you on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:16 am: Edit

The Indians in this country are a very elite group, the smartest of their society. They do not represent the typical Indian on this earth. In fact, 90% of all Indian Americans are either professionals/students or their children. Having a brain drain problem is nothing to be proud of.

By veena on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:58 am: Edit

hello im not sayin that im proud of brain drain... heck im not! theres no reason to be. But im just responding to the fact that i feel that some of the ppl (attn: SOME) here seem to be against indians comin to usa. i just feel its kind of racist, and its not very...well..becoming.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:23 am: Edit

Indians are the future of this country.

By a jew on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Everyone is welcome to this country and can become who they want to become. And if they take that spot at Harvard away from you, then you should have fuckin worked harder in high school.

By fei on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

hey tina keep your dumb posts to yourself

By Some interesting facts for you on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Jason,

How are Indians the future of this country? Yes there are alot of educated and high paid professionals in this group. So what? Where's there political representation? Indians are very educated and hard-working due to the fact that they are India's top 1%, but if I were an Indian American I would be more concerned about the future of India.

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

ohhhhh... I thought we were talking about Amerindians here, not INDIAN indians...

By indian on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

"Some interesting facts" -- yeah i see why u want Indians out of here -- so it can free up some space for you to go the elite colleges! lol! You know you have no chance if there are indians here.

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Are you ppl talking about Amerindians or INDIAN indians???????????????????????????????????????

By your local mayor on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

looks like people from the country India.

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

thanx mayor. By the way, how is the city budget looking these days mayor??

By Some interesting facts for you on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Indian,

LOL you're stupidity and inferiority complex has gotten the best of you. Let's take a review shall we?

"Yeah i see why u want Indians out of here"

Mistake #1 Where/When did I state that I wanted Indians out of here? America is a free country so by all means pursue all the education you can get regardless of skin color.
Mistake#2 You're inferiority complex has deceived you. Stating that if I were an Indian, I'd be more concerned about the poor shape of India's current situation economically is a lot different than wishing all Indians out of here. Sad to say, most non-resident Indians have done little to nothing to help out India's current economic predicament. Most of their elite leave and get prosperous somewhere else. That is something that no one can deny. Just take a look at how India is doing compared to the rest of Asia and you'll see what I mean.

" -- so it can free up some space for you to go the elite colleges!"

HAHAHA what in the world are you talking about? Even the top of the top Indians hardly make that much of a difference of the student population at any top school. Don't get me wrong, I see quite a few Indians at my school and I'm sure there are alot at any school, but enough to take away spaces from white boys like me? I think not.

"lol! You know you have no chance if there are indians here."

Well considering that I and many of my other non-Indian counterparts have successfully received admissions to many top schools, I guess that refutes your little theory now doesn't it? Please do yourself a favor. First take your inferiority complex and your list of non-sensical myths and flush them down the toilet and secondly get educated on the topic before competing with a real time pro like me :-)

By your local mayor on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Das "Budget" ist gut fur das Jahre.

By spirit on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Some interesting facts for you :

just to point out.. who the hell said india is doooing sssssooooooooo badly compared to the rest of asia? Ahem so we dont have highrise buldigns.. so what?? we still have a postive economic growth rate even tho some other nations dont. recent economist analyzed and said the reason india isnt doing os well is cuz pppl save up the money and dont use it, hence the money doesnt circulate!!! can u belive that? Its very easy for you sitting in the USA. North America has most of the wealth of the world. Its not so easy if u come to asian coutries like ours, which dont even have that many resources. Plz, u dont kno enough about india to talk. So dont talk. Braindrain sucks. true. I agree that many nri indians suck with the patriotism. But our generation promises a change. the reasons for my conclusion i dont wish to elaborate, its pointless anyway. and oh another thing, its not so mcuh something most of even the rich ones can help to do about indias poor conditions. its bad condition is basically due to politics. Do u kno that most of the so-called religous wars are sparked off due to political instigation? im thinking that the only thing that can help that is if we have another mutiny, war against the government or something. sheesh. any indain out there that wants to join me and make a political party? im sick of the presnt ones.

By Hindustani on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

well said

By alittlerequest on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone: Yes, it's true that many NRIs are not very patriotic. But I certainly am not one of them. It really incenses me when people assume that because I am an NRI, I'm not patriotic or loyal. First of all, my father was requested to come here (to the US) to better the business here. We were not eager people just dying to come here. I've lived in America for the past 9 years (I'm 17), and I am just as loyal to India as any Indian living there. I return to India every year for 3 months, my parents donate immense amounts of money and other aid to poor Indians, and while in the US and India, I attend and conduct pujas and other activities...including Bharatnatyam. I like aspects of the US and India, and my message on this post would be: please don't pretend like you know enough of any country unless you have lived in that country for atleast 1 year of your life.

By concernedabouttheworld on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:52 am: Edit

hey well wisher, i had a friend who got 1460 on SAT and didn't get into the ivy leagues, so what the. Send me the stastics. P.S. I don't care about the racist tendency of the site but don't forget, Indians make up the most students in schools exceeding even the chinese

By Right on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

"Indians make up the most students in schools exceeding even the chinese "

Umm no.

By Jono on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:57 am: Edit

"hey well wisher, i had a friend who got 1460 on SAT and didn't get into the ivy leagues, so what the. "

The Ivies have rejected people with much higher scores so it's nothing new trust me. A friend of mine was rejected from Harvard with a 1520 and a 4.72 GPA.

By spirit on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 08:18 am: Edit

alittlerrequest, dont worry, no one is assumign anything. I am just pointing out what many Nris are like, im definately not sayin all are like that. I was an Nri myself, and have returned to india. Ive lived in india for the past 5 yrs. Before taht I was almost 10 yrs in indonesia. How long u live in a place has nothing to do with ur attitude.

By concerned about the world on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 05:26 am: Edit

umm no? there is clear research conducted in USA itself that shows enrolments of INTERNATIONAL student are the most from India. so what the?

By Get your facts straight on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

Concerned about the world,

Wrong wrong wrong, China makes up the most and then Japan following Korea.

http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=3375

Not to mention students from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore are technically Chinese so that would even more to the overall bunch.

By Needadvice on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Jan 25th SAT SCORE: 640V 790M = 1430

Well, Im from India and intend to apply for transfer admission. Guess i just blew my chances. It didnt come as a shock, i was disappointed after the test. Im pretty good at Math(Im an engg student) but always lose due to careless mistakes. Im bad at verbal. Never read novels. After finishing barrons wordlist and 10 real SATs, i was scoring 660V-720V. But Jan test was way too hard for me. Anyway, i dont think i deserve more than what i got in verbal, for my ability. I took the decision of taking SAT suddenly and had just over a month to prepare. Do you guys view my score as good/bad? I think the score is good but not good enough for what i intend to apply for. Do u think ill be wasting money by applying? Please advise.... I have a 293 in TOEFL. I got a 99.9998 percentile in the undergraduate qualifying exam in India (thats 26th Rank in EAMCET(Andhra Pradesh), ALSO: 16th rank in Karnataka CET, 96% in 12th grade and qualified in IIT-JEE). My academic scores here are good. But thats all that I have. No ECs. I didnt even take SAT IIs cos by the time i realised i had to, i had passed the deadlines for registration. Next chance is in MAY. That will be too late i guess. I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise me on which colleges to apply. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee........

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Get Your Facts Straight:
uhm.... I don't want to offend you, but I'm half taiwanese half japanese, and in Taiwan, if you say that taiwanese are technically chinese then your parents probably will disown you..... or is it just my family....? Many taiwanese are VERY sensitive to the topic of whether or not they are "chinese"......

By Get Your Facts Straight on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

"uhm.... I don't want to offend you, but I'm half taiwanese half japanese, and in Taiwan, if you say that taiwanese are technically chinese then your parents probably will disown you..... or is it just my family....?"

Uhh Taiwanese people are Chinese. Do you even know what the official name for Taiwan is? The Republic of China. The official language in Taiwan is also Mandarin Chinese so give it up. Deny it all you want, but Taiwanese are technically Chinese. They speak the language, practice Chinese customs, have Chinese names, and descended from Chinese ancestors by blood.

"Many taiwanese are VERY sensitive to the topic of whether or not they are "chinese"......"

True but the thing is they are Chinese no matter what anyone says. The reason they are so sensitive about the issue of being Chinese is because they are very anti-commie China. The CCP in the past and nowadays obviously have not been very kind to the Chinese people. Because Taiwan is democratic, they obviously see something like that as a disgrace to their culture and want no part of it. The problem with that though is that they need to realize it's the corrupt CCP they should be ashamed of because the average Chinese citizen obviously hates the CCP just as much as they do, they just can't voice about it (Remember the last time it happened, they got run over by tanks).

By concerned about the world on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:39 am: Edit

Hey, veena if you are checking out this site still, did u get the research info from well wisher? I haven't got it so if you have it, can u pass it on to me at my email

By veena on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 08:21 am: Edit

well....."concerned about the world" the info never was given to me... hmm im still curious tho. If u ever do get it, can u pass it on to me?

By Childe (Childe) on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Needadvice: That's brilliant! Yeah, your verbal scores aren't great compared to your other stats, but they're decent too. Just mention all your stats in your applications. Don't put too much of a hope on Harvard/ Princeton/ MIT, though... but I'm sure you can make to schools like Dartmouth, Amherst, Williams, Washington in St. Louis, etc. (They're good schools too!)

And even if you don't get into your top choice school, don't sweat. You can make a great job of your education in India...you're obviously capable of doing brilliantly. Believe me, US undergrad is over-rated. Get through your engineering with good grades, and you can get into a top school in the States for Grad, which really counts.

By Needadvice on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Childe(Childe): Hey thanks!! I really appreciate your advice. Im also looking for aid... so i dont have much hope. I guess ill give it a shot. If i dont get through, Ill try my best in GRE. Thanks a LOT!!

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Get Your Facts Straight: By your reasoning, there's no such thing as an American. ;-)

By M&M on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Mrowry,

There isn't; America is just one big ethnic enclave of different cultures descended from parts all over the world. Race itself is cultural not biological. Nobody can claim to be pure anything, you might ask well why do people look different then? Easy, demographics and you can also add that our society loves to label people or categorize people. So all this racism, ethnocentrism, etc. is all a bunch of •••• if you ask me.

By desi4life on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

oriental people are too clannish and it pisses me off

By Kevin on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 05:34 am: Edit

Was jus scrollin a few messsages about Indians..!

Dear Friends:

In a word there is everything we are and all that we could be. Then there are all the things we could have been. My friend, it lays in the property of a single word that is differen't for each of us but the same in spirit.

This is hard for most of us to realize because the source of this unlimited personal power is buried so deeply beneath the bills, the car pool, the deadlines, the buisness trip, and the dirty laundry that we have difficulty accessing it in our daily lives.

Some have it all.....talk human.....I'm also a proud Indian...but hey.....Lets not forget that....Skills pay.....and he (God) gave this element of skill to every one.

Kevin.

By Kevin on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 05:38 am: Edit

Well, Any one from India comin in to US for LL.M.

write to me at kevin_1980in@yahoo.com

Regards,

Kevin.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page