Dartmouth?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Dartmouth?
By Icex1 (Icex1) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

4.0 unweighted GPA
8 AP classes total (went to small school for 3 years but transfered for senior year to take tougher classes)

SAT I's: 1380, (740 M, 640 V)
SATII's: 740 IIC, 600 Chem (bleh), 580 writ. (bleh)

EC's
Swimming: All-League 01, 02; MVP 00-02
Debate: NFL member
Newspaper: Sports/News Writer
FBLA: VP
Key Club, Swim Club,Basketball (9th, 10th)
15 hours Community service (i know its a lot)

Work Experience:
Summer Lifegaurd

Awards:

Rotary Youth Leadership Award (2002)- Award given by local Rotary Clubs to outstanding students in community and acadmic arenas

Scholastic All-CIF Selection (2002)- Given to outstanding scholar-athletes in the CIF section

(everybody gets this)Golden State Exam High Honors Chemistry(2002), Biology(2001), Geometry(2000); Honors US History(2002)- High Scores on Golden State Examination

Governor's Scholars Award(2001, 2002)- Program set up by Governor Davis to give students with high scores on STAR test scholarship money

Academic Achievement Award(2000, 2001, 2002)- Given by school to outstanding students

Thank You

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Fantastic Stats IceX. You are uniquely strong in the sports area. I really dont know much abour dartmouth. I'm sure your guidance counselor may be able to advise you. Fantastic ECs and overall scores/grades. Good luck!

By er on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I wouldn't count on it, but it IS possible, since Dartmouth is not that selective.

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

er,
why NOT count on it? IceX looks great!

By wer on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

wtf are you talking about?

what is so special about this guy? 2/3 of his awards are given to any California student who is not retarded.

He has no ECs, besides swimming.

•••• scores.

Has any school tried to recruit you for swimming yet?

By ha on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

What do you mean it's not that selective? It's an ivy league school! Its score averages are nearly on par with the rest, and higher than Cornell and a few others.

By hi on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

Dartmouth is very selective!! Your scores are below average (especially your SAT II's). You have good grades. Maybe just that and swimming can carry you through. I don't know though. Admission is a crapshot. You have a chance. It's probably a reach though. But then again, what do i know.

By Yes on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

Dude even though Dartmouth is one of the lousier Ivies, it's still a selective school nonetheless.

By grazer on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

I think Dartmouth is a reach, IcexI, unless they are recruiting you for sports. Have you taken any AP exams? If so, what are your scores? That might help. I agree that your SAT scores are somewhat on the low side for Dartmouth, especially the Bio and Writing. Sorry to be pessimistic.

By grazer on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:01 am: Edit

Whoops, I meant Chem and Writing.

By ... on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

you have an academic index of a 4 out of 9

that's really low...

By Icex1 (Icex1) on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Not being recruited but I could help the swim team.

By Lucky (Lucky) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Selectivity and yield does not equate to being "lousy." Each of the Ivies is almost specialized in their efforts and is great in a particular field. This isn't to say that all are great in undergrad, which is undoubtedly what you're looking for.

There's a general consensus by those that attend who will readily admit that the big H is not well-known for their treatment of their undergrads. Sure they are excellent for grad schools (goodness knows they have one of everything) but they're not terrific for the undergraduate student.

In conclusion "one of the lousier Ivies" is a misnomer: both because a "lousy Ivy" is an oxymoron (the Ivy League is pretty much, by definition, not lousy) and Dartmouth in specific [nor any of its equivalents] is simply not lousy.

Lucky

By wer on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

what a retard...

JUST BECAUSE IT IS IVY LEAGUE, IT MUST BE GOD.

Is ivy league based on excellence in education?

NO.

By Cmns (Cmns) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Hey Lucky I agree with you one-hundred percent.

By Jwill (Jwill) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

hey icex,

i'm pretty sure Dartmouth just got rid of its swimming program...and some other ivies are on a similar path. i could be wrong, but if i'm not, unfortunately swimming won't be your ticket.

as for your scores, etc...they're pretty solid. and you seem pretty well rounded. however, you don't really strike me as an extremely interesting person--the type that an ivy would die to have...and that's just my lousy opinion, so don't be offended. but most people that get into the ivies have a nitch...or ATLEAST ONE thing that they've kicked all ass at. you don't seem to hit the bull's eye in any one field, even though you have many targets, so to speak.

i hate this site because it belittles wonderful people. in the scheme of things...just step back and realize that you've accomplished a hell of a lot more than 99% of the people you'll ever meet (so far). so congrats!

ya never know what'll happen. good luck

all the best,
jwill

By wer on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

dartmouth is the only school that is cancelling its swimming program.

Why?

Well, because Dartmouth is trash.

By Cmns (Cmns) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

wer
comments like that make you look like a complete idiot!
You clearly proved that you have no idea what you're speaking of otherwise you'd know that Dartmouth didn't need to cancel its swimming program. For a brief period, about a month ago, there were concerns that Dartmouth would have to make cuts but in the end swimming was safe.

By ooo on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Yeah the swimming team wasn't cut!
Dartmouth is about the farthest thing from trash.

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Yes, there were concerns about our aquatics teams being cut but it was only because we live off our interest from investments. Rather than depleting our interest, we've recently been working on divesting our money from some of our less successful ventures and reinvesting the cash into better outlets. With some funding provided to us by alums we will have both a swimming and a diving team for years to come.

By the way, although being recruited for a sport (swimming, diving, tennis, football, whatever) can help your chances for admission, the Ivies don't provide athletic scholarships. Thus, although requirements for athletes are less stringent than for other applicants, paying for school is still an issue. Do keep this in mind if you hope to be recruited by a school in The League.

Best wishes,
Lucky

By Icex1 (Icex1) on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Actually I just checked it out and they're reinstating the swimming program.

Thanks again everyone

By GoodLuck on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Your stats are awesome. Nice job with the 4.0 UW.

By swimmer on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

Do you have Sectional, Junior or Open Cuts in swimming?

By bump on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page