Tufts?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Tufts?
By Ilya Korsunsky on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Hello, I am wondering whether or not I would be an ellegible candidate for Tufts univeristy.
My stats are as follows:

SAT1: 1540
SAT2:Math IIC:800 Chemistry:800 Writing:740
A registered EMT. Around 350 volunteer hours at my local ambulance corps.
GPA: 9th:3.3 10th:3.7 11th:4.0
No class rank.
took one AP junior year, taking 5 senior year.
Ballroom dancer, 2 years practice, compete in silver category.
Magnet School in New Jersey.

Thanks for your help!

By skylar on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

um, why don't you aim higher. the dancing thing could be a hook if you're good. and just write terrific essays.

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

guidance counselor?

By me on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

your stats are definately "top tier!"

By Ilya Korsunsky on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Wouldn't my GPA really hold me down? That's why my guidance counsler is discouraging me from Tufts.

By incognito on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

well then scre him/her. Give Tufts a try. You never know...

By heyhey on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

your awesome SAT's (congratz) and unique dance EC will carry you much further than you think. and your grades aren't horrible. in fact, they show an upward trend which is exactly what they want.
write terrific essays, and apply for schools better than tufts. try the HYPSMC game and use Tufts as a back-up.

By fedup on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

personally i think that u r a person who craves attention. Ur grades are good and ur sat's are amazing. I applied to tufts and dont have nearly what u have so stop worrying

By heyhey on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

btw, judging from your name, i wonder if you are russian?
can you speak russian?
did you put that down on your app?
use AA to your advantage... "under-represented minorities" don't just include blacks, hispanics and native americans, you know

By um...no on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

being Russian isn't considered a URM, sorry. If you're "white", you're caucasian...
But to the original poster, you'll be elligible for tufts...cuz thats where I'm going and I had a bit lower stats than yours :)

By Ilya Korsunsky on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Thanks for all your help! And btw, I am Russian. Although being Caucasian doesn't help, English is my second language and not the language I speak at home. So hopefully that works out...

By Ilya Korsunsky on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

what about brown, Duke or Yale?

By Iiya korsunsky on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

What about a junior college like NCCC? Im pretty sure you could get into there.

By ok on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

yes, all the schools you mentioned are feasible with really strong essays, Ilya

By tufts sux on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

use tufts as a backup

By um...no on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

tufts doesn't suck.

By wen yu on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:56 am: Edit

argh...
great stats...i'm not sure about HYPSM etc tho anymore...

you know, tho...one of our last year grads was debate captain, school newspaper editor, avid soccer player, founded our school's acapella singing group + produced CDs, led MUN, participated in BEIMUN (international MUN), won many public speaking competitions, was predicted a 40/45 for her IB (actually got 44/45 in the real exam), made all A's sophomore year and up....

She was rejected from so many places - was eventually left with one of the less prestigious CA colleges and Brown.

I hope its not because she came from China...but I would suggest that you keep as many really special hooks as you can. *shrug* maybe that's the problem, perhaps all the above weren't special enough?

By ser on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 03:11 am: Edit

no, it is because when you have •••• all over the place like that, the universities think this applicant is doing those activities just to jack up their chance of admission, and therefore, dismiss the applicant.

it is MUCH MUCH better to have in-depth ECs in one area of interest, and EXCEL at it.

By mandogirl on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Go for it! I graduated from Tufts and loved it! I think they will look at the upward trend of your grades. My grades weren't all A's, but I did have good SAT's. Good luck!

By Ilya Korsunsky on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

For those of you who went to Tufts... how do you like it there?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

Hi Ilya: I'm sure you've gotten an admission acceptance or rejection already. This year was especially competitive at Tufts, but your scores are well within the range they are looking for. I'm a current senior; my stats were very similar, not from a magnet school but I earned about 10 varsity letters in high school and had other extracurrriculars. If you did get in, congratulations! Though a few people have told you to try for "better" schools, Tufts is definitely comprable academically to Ivy League schools. Our pre-med programme is tougher than Harvard's; we have almost 100% admission rate into student's first choice grad schools. Tufts is an amazing institution, and, if you were accepted, you should go. Aside from academics, the professors are extremely talented and also very caring, and the other students are wonderful. In short, I love Tufts, as almost everyone who goes here does. Almost every alumni I've spoken with has loved their four years here; almost every undergrad believes that Tufts is the best place for them. Good luck with your senior year! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page