Asian girl needs a UC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Asian girl needs a UC
By nofx on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

I live in California, and cannot decide among Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, and Santa Cruz. Here are my stats: A lot of asain boys are a plus...

GPA 4.7
SAT 1400

EXTRA ACT.
ACADEMIC DECATHLON CAPTAIN
SOCCER CAPTAIN
PREZ. OF SPANISH CLUB/SERVICE CLUB/CSF/WRITING CLUB
SEC OF SPEECH CLUB
EDITOR OF NEWSPAPER
JUNIOR MISS 2003
*PLEASE GIVE ME FEED BACK*

By asdf on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

Just apply to all of them. You have a good shot.

By werewr on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

what do you plan to major?

definitely not Santa Cruz though, it is a trash UC.

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

your stats look fantastic nofx! (cute AME, by the way). You can probably do better then the schools mentioned here. Are any of them ivy leagues? Speak to your guidance counselor. (s)he would know better than most ppl here.
whatever. Listen good luck, i hope you get into a good school

By NOFX on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

I PLAN TO BE A DOCTOR, OR IF I GET GROSSED OUT, MAYBE ARCITECTURE

By asdfasdfas on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:10 am: Edit

seems like u'd fit in best at UCLA - high asian representation, good architecture + med programs...but then stanford is not bad in those areas either...

By vxcxcv on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:16 am: Edit

seriously, not ALL ivy league schools are ALL that.

i'll admit harvard, yale and princeton are damn good for just about any major.

The other five Ivies are only good at certain majors, and mediocre otherwise.

Upenn is great for business, Columbia is good for humanities, Brown has a good pre-med program, and Cornell is decent at engineering (if you can't get into MIT, stanford or berkeley).

Dartmouth is just garbage all around.

Anyway, back to the original poster, if you want to be a doctor, you should have applied to pre-med programs that guarantee admission into medical schools instead of just general colleges. Too late now though, but I would suggest Stanford and Berkeley for their strength in science, and their reputation will also help with medical school admission.

By lol on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

vxcxcv,

you really know nothing about the ivies.

the ONLY all-around ivy is cornell. they are strong (top 25) in virtually every major that exists. the only other school that can claim that is stanford.

harvard - lacks top notch engineering
yale - lacks top notch engineering
princeton - lacks connections to med/law school research as an undergrad as princeton does not have these schools
dartmouth - sucks all around
brown - middle of the road all around
upenn - 2nd best all around ivy
columbia - another great all around ivy

By nofx on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:25 am: Edit

Thanks for the comments, I like stanford, but berkeley seems more fun and diversified, as well as ucla.
NOFX rocks!

By ImissCalifornia on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 06:39 am: Edit

Drop Santa Cruz...and add ucsd or ucsb. Riverside actually has a 7 (it may be 6) undergrad to md program but that place isn't too fun for college life. If you discover your dream school between now and september...then do ED. And finally, if you want to go to a school with one hip asian...come to Edinburgh (woo whoo..I'm like totally sweet and cool)...I'm j/k...I'm sure there are other Asian people here...somewhere...anywhere...maybe I should have gone to Bocconi...at least there would be hot italian girls. Anyway...Good Luck

By pale on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

Elizabeth?

By UCRblows on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

UCR has a BA/MD program but you are NOT guaranteed admission to UCLA med school...they accept quite a few people....but only get to reccommend 60 or so later on - which sucks because you won't find out until 4 years later :O

By lolisagaycornellfuck on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

you are retarded, cornell is one of the crappiest Ivies. Yes, its saving grace is its engineering.

Tell all the recruiters at Harvard, Yale and Princeton that their engineering program sucks.

Retard.

By NOFX on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

No this is not Elizabeth... my name is long and complicated. Anyway, i have a month to figure out which University to go to. If you go to berkeley...HINT HINT. WINK WINK!! Maybe you will see me there, i am the one wearing "The Casualties" T-shirt, not many Asian girls wear that over here.

By dxiw on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

whatever you do dont go in architecture. You will starve all your life. its a great and fun field but barely any make more tha 30-35k a year. My mom used to be one. Trust me you will starve...

By vxcxcvisagayfuck on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

by your logic, ALL schools are crappy except HYP...lol. silly f a g g o t!

By Shut the hell up on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Cornell is a damn good school, hell all the Ivies are. Besides, I don't see why you're bagging on any of them not like you're Ivy material. That'd be like you ripping on a Ferrari claiming a Lamborghini is better. Like you're ever going to own one of those anyways.

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I have a question for you ppl. What makes a school an Ivy??? Like, what's the criterion and what not??

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

AN ivy is just the schools the "presidents" named, to make them feel special, really, it's because a lot if ivy grow on the old buildings and lots of people want to go because the "Quote in quote", leaders of America went there, and founded it, it was originally meant to see which prez's Varsity sports team was better, we all know now, none of the ivy teams are good. My question was about UC's in California, because i am restricted to go to an out of state University.

By z on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

no you tart. ivy league was formed on the basis of developing amateur sports in colleges. Hopkins was given two chances to join the Ivy League, dont know why.. but they were, and they turned it down, obviously.

Ivy was based off athletics and now they have grown into society as elite schools.

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

You idiot that is what I said. IVy leagues were, "yes" developed beacause of sports, and beacause it had "a Lot" of ivy... who's the tart now.. don't say anything if you don't know what the hell you are talking about...

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

NOFX, what the f*ck is your fukin problem. Dont speak if YOU dont know what your talking about you fukin moron. A "Lot of Ivy" grows there?!?! WHAT THE FU-CK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!?! A LOT OF GRASS PROBABLY GROWS IN YOUR CLOSET YOU •••••• REJECT!!

By Coles (Coles) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Why does everyone trash Dartmouth so much?

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Meryl, do yourself a favor and grow a brain, In fact i'll prove it to you, fucken poser. Go to and ivy league website, and READ!! if you can, and see who's the reject... DOn't mess with me, Meryl..if that's your real name.

By meryl285 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

"...if thats your real name"

READ!! this: FU-QUE

By NOFX666 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

I guess you can't spell either. can you spell... P-O-S-E-R-!!!

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

PLEASE WRITE BACK... IT'S FUN TALKING TO LOSERS.

By meryl285 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

if you're my source i'd better double check that NO-Brain. I aint' no mo-fukin posa!

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

ARE YOU S-U-R-E!!! BECAUSE YOU SEEM LIKE THE MASTER OF POSE-ING! BE AN INDIVIDUAL, DON'T BE SCARED OF LIFE. LEARN TO BE WRONG BECAUSE YOU ARE.

By wer on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

to answer meryl, because dartmouth is trash?

By meryl285 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

WOW! NOFX is making me very sad. Stop yelling at me, NOFX. Dont worry, buddy, you have lots of FX! I hope you get into Berkely or Stanford, NOFX, it looks like you have a good shot. 1400 on the SAT is great (wish i would do that well)

As for you, wer, sorry, i dont know too much about dartmouth; i'm not sure what you are talkin about.

By NOFX666 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

tRUE, WER... BECAUSE DARTMOUTH IS TRASH.

By NOFX on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

WOW MERYL, YOU ARE THE MOST SCARCASTIC PERSON IN THE WORLD.. WAIT...NO... BIGGEST POSER!!! SORRY.

By meryl285 on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

NOFX, i was not being sarcastic. You have a good shot at Berkely and UCLA. I dont know much about those other universities you mentioned. Dont call me a poser if i just told you you had a shot. (I dont know why you still think i'm this "poser")

By FAILED OUT on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

O.K...CHILL AND GO TAKE A WALK. COOLIT MERYL.

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

sorry sorry sorry, NOFX. Didnt mean to upset you so much.

By nofx on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

You didn't upset me, i don't get upset, i'm super satanic.

By meryl on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH

By nofx on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

no it's muahahahahah.

By AZNboy on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

I think Berkeley is more your thing. YOu seem like the Berkeley type. ANd i'm there.

By Curious on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

My top schools are Cornell and UCB. Both great schools for my major (engineering) and both schools with a fairly large population of Asians (Cal being alot more of course). I'd probably choose Cornell simply because it's an Ivy League.

By ImissCalifornia on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

For Engineering, I would pick Berkeley over Cornell in a heartbeat. Cornell is good too but Berkeley is better for engineering. Cheaper too...if you're a cali resident

By nofx on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

If i had applied to Cornell, and got in, i would go. But i guess i'm stuck with Berkeley. Which isn't bad.

By meryl on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:44 am: Edit

you can get in next year then...

By George Carlin is GOD on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Being stuck with Berkeley instead of Cornell is not that bad. I'd say the two schools are quite comparable.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page